PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Launching....

GR142-Pipper
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Speaking of carrier issues, why not simply prohibit aircraft from taking off until there are no other aircraft in front of them. The way the carrier launching situation currently is, aircraft to the rear can too easily ram those in front. It's an unrealistic and annoying pain.

A simple way for the launching pilot to tell that the deck is clear is to have the carrier show a green launch light (it could be placed somewhere on the carrier's island). When the light turns green, the pilot can launch. Only the aircraft that is launching is able to see the launch light...all others to the rear of the one launching cannot see the launch light (this tells them that they're not #1). The aircraft just BEHIND the one launching can see the "Prepare to Launch" light. This would tell aircraft #2 that they're next in line to go.

It's a simple system that should work fine and keep things rolling.

GR142-Pipper

Fennec_P
06-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Um... people should have better sense than to take off with things in front of them. Use the raised view, or yaw your plane a bit to see, just like a regular airfield.

Besides, if some aircraft were side by side, who would get the green light first?

Chadburn
06-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Fennec_P:
Um... people should have better sense than to take off with things in front of them. Use the raised view, or yaw your plane a bit to see, just like a regular airfield.

Besides, if some aircraft were side by side, who would get the green light first?

If only it were that simple, Fennec. And carriers aren't like a regular airfield. People spawn in front of you as you start your roll-out and on a carrier there's no where to go to avoid the collision. Also, when landing, you can be on your final approach, air-speed low, gear down, full flaps and just as you touch down, a new plane spawns and a collision is unavoidable.

It's not pilot carelessness, it's the lack of ATC in the game.

GR142-Pipper
06-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Chadburn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fennec_P:

If only it were that simple, Fennec. And carriers aren't like a regular airfield. People spawn in front of you as you start your roll-out and on a carrier there's no where to go to avoid the collision. Also, when landing, you can be on your final approach, air-speed low, gear down, full flaps and just as you touch down, a new plane spawns and a collision is unavoidable.

It's not pilot carelessness, it's the lack of ATC in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's exactly right. I was trying to offer a simple solution that would be effective as well as being fairly easy to program.

GR142-Pipper

Kernow
06-13-2005, 03:20 AM
It is a nice solution. And if planes are side-by-side just give priority to the one on the right or the left, whatever. If the game can work out who is in front I'm sure left / right would be no problem.

Still got the problem with ac on short finals - maybe d/f mission designers should have some CVs for landing only where no ac are available?

F16_Sulan
06-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Kernow:
...Still got the problem with ac on short finals - maybe d/f mission designers should have some CVs for landing only where no ac are available?

Yes they should!!!

And something definetly needs to be done about carrier takeoffs!!!

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-13-2005, 07:53 AM
This brings up the question of LSO's and exactly what is the best way to coordinate deck ops with the limited view available. Certainly there are times when releasing chocks and kicking the rudder slightly allow better visibility, but there are times when it doesn't.

Pipper's suggestion is feasible and would allow for less chaos in a scramble situation. What other options do we have?

TB

Tater-SW-
06-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Many CV planes don;t have a raised seat view.

In RL, someone would wave you off for TO, you wouldn't yaw, or do ANYTHING on deck they didn't tell you to.

tater

Kernow
06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, the traffic light idea is the best. While you could release chocks and manoeuvre for a view, that is not what they actually did and there will always be those who don't bother. Short of having animated deck crew, a light from the tower is a good, unambiguous and realistic feeling alternative.

Actually I also design missions with CVs and hadn't thought of the 'recovery ship' idea until I wrote that, above. Must get on to it.

SithSpeeder
06-13-2005, 12:08 PM
In the mean time, you still have a CHAT window availble to type to your TEAM that you are "On Final to Carrier, do not spawn until you see <mycallsign> is RTB". Heck, you could even pre-type that message in to your chat window and hence it would only be 5 keystrokes (or bind it to a VAC command so you'd just say "Carrier Final" and the message would be displayed).

* _54th_Speeder *

Communication works wonders.

Kernow
06-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
In the mean time, you still have a CHAT window availble to type to your TEAM that you are "On Final to Carrier, do not spawn until you see <mycallsign> is RTB". Heck, you could even pre-type that message in to your chat window and hence it would only be 5 keystrokes (or bind it to a VAC command so you'd just say "Carrier Final" and the message would be displayed).

* _54th_Speeder *

Communication works wonders.

I have a message very like that one - it doesn't work.

Jetbuff
06-14-2005, 11:41 PM
One small problem. I've had a newbie spawn in front of me. Fortunately, I saw him and didn't take-off. However, he had no idea how to unset his chocks to roll. I was able to taxi around him while he figured it out. If it was programmatically enforced that I not take-off so long as there's someone ahead of me it would have been extremely frustrating. Not to mention the definite possibility of some bastage spawning in the lead spot and deliberately blocking the carrier - you know someone will do it eventually!

Yes, it's a PITA when you run into someone on the carrier, but try typing/comming your take-off landing intentions and it might help. You'll probably still run into the odd knucklehead who ignores chat and spawns anyway, but I doubt idiot-proofing can be programmed into any software.

GR142-Pipper
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Jetbuff:
One small problem. I've had a newbie spawn in front of me. Fortunately, I saw him and didn't take-off. However, he had no idea how to unset his chocks to roll. I was able to taxi around him while he figured it out. If it was programmatically enforced that I not take-off so long as there's someone ahead of me it would have been extremely frustrating. Not to mention the definite possibility of some bastage spawning in the lead spot and deliberately blocking the carrier - you know someone will do it eventually!

Yes, it's a PITA when you run into someone on the carrier, but try typing/comming your take-off landing intentions and it might help. You'll probably still run into the odd knucklehead who ignores chat and spawns anyway, but I doubt idiot-proofing can be programmed into any software. You have to understand that what I proposed was to be a simple solution to implement and effective for 99% of most situations. Yes, there will be the occasional bit of difficulty here and there but for the most part it's a workable solution given the rather primative carrier implementation that's currently in effect.

GR142-Pipper