PDA

View Full Version : Idea for BoB

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi Oleg, Hi Team, Hi all,

I was thinking of having a feature to enhance greatly immersion:
As the game plays, we should have radio voices modified in the game depending on a number of factors:
- distance of the call: the nearer the louder.
- type of the plane speaking (or even the ground control/radar): background noise, stressed voice.
- random adjusting of gain of microphone.
- random cracking and whizzling.
- random interruption of speach (speaker disturbed, radio contact lost, another one speak above)
- Some 'not so coherent calls': somtimes pilots could just not have those very formal and coherent radio calls. They could even say WRONG things (especially about location and visual ID).
I believe 'audio' and especially 'speach' environement is crucial to immerssion, and THAT would add a lot.
Hope this could be heard.
See you in air.

Da Cool (himself)

(edit was for last of my point)

Message Edited on 10/10/03 07:27AM by dacool

Message Edited on 10/10/0307:28AM by dacool

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi Oleg, Hi Team, Hi all,

I was thinking of having a feature to enhance greatly immersion:
As the game plays, we should have radio voices modified in the game depending on a number of factors:
- distance of the call: the nearer the louder.
- type of the plane speaking (or even the ground control/radar): background noise, stressed voice.
- random adjusting of gain of microphone.
- random cracking and whizzling.
- random interruption of speach (speaker disturbed, radio contact lost, another one speak above)
- Some 'not so coherent calls': somtimes pilots could just not have those very formal and coherent radio calls. They could even say WRONG things (especially about location and visual ID).
I believe 'audio' and especially 'speach' environement is crucial to immerssion, and THAT would add a lot.
Hope this could be heard.
See you in air.

Da Cool (himself)

(edit was for last of my point)

Message Edited on 10/10/03 07:27AM by dacool

Message Edited on 10/10/0307:28AM by dacool

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 10:08 PM
The sound engine is going to be written from scratch. I hope they hire a guy for this who knows his stuff /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Damn good idea...radio immersion in FB could be better

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 04:29 AM
good ideas.

I also hope they use a different ground controller's voice for each sector station.

http://www.airplane-world.addr.com/Corgi/aa30701.jpg

No601 County of London Squadron,Tangmere Pilots.
http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 12:32 PM
So what do you think ?

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Doesn't exactly address your request, but I thought I'd mention that some of these issues will be catered for in NTesla's forthcoming RAF speech pack for FBs.

* Radio Calls will vary in volume to give an effect of planes at different distances (not driven by the real distances, obviously, but the effect will have a more authentic feeling
* Background noise dubbed on to radio calls (engine sounds, a bit of gunfire)
* Calls will not be broken up or wrong: agreed, this would add authenticity, but at the cost of the usefulness of the calls for gameplay
* Calls will vary in formality, a few will not be coherent & well formed

So basically as good as it can be within the constraints of FB.

The idea of a much richer R/T audio environment appeals to me very much. If you had named pilots for instance, rather than number 1, number 2, etc, with personalities, idiolect, even a memory of preceding events, it would liven up SP no end. On those long formation flights to the fight, a 'banter' option on the radio menu could be quite good fun!

DukeTalk, anyone? :-)

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Well, you got my point pretty well.
I'm (very) pleased to see there is something 'sounding' like my request even sooner than BoB !
I agree with you saying 'callsign' 'pilot name' or 'you goda** su*k*r' naming during the battle would add a lot of authenticity and flavor... And, in my opinin, adding some 'wrong' calls should be good... especially if it's based on real things happening (that is: not so far from reallity, still being wrong)... do you follow me ?
But, I agree that might be a little bit of workload to our CPUs that might not (quite) be worth it.
See you in air...

Dacool (himself)