PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedal Convertion to USB

Crazy-Canuck
11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
I own CH Pro Pedals with the older 14pin connector. Is there a way to get them to work with my x45 stick by purchasing USB extensions that can plug into the 14 pin connector and then into the USB port. If so how do I disable the rudder control on the throttle of the x45.

jeroen-79
11-16-2005, 04:20 PM
14 pins? Count again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There are gameport-usb convertors.
You can also get a cheap USB controller abd rewire the set to the USB controller's PCB.
That also gives you an extra set of buttons.

No need to disable the rocker on the X45.
FB/PF can use more than one controller and all you need to do is assign the rudder to the new USB controller instead of to the X45's rocker.

Crazy-Canuck
11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey thanks, ok so there are 15 pins. So I will plug the pedals into a seperate usb and have the game recognize the pedals on there own.? I will love flying with my pedals again. Thx for help.

FA_Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I used to have mine pluged in to a 15 pin gameport to usb converter so that I could get them to work. Then I learned that I DID NOT NEED TO DO THIS! As even plugging them into the gameport they work fine with winxp and PF.

Just make sure that your gameport is turned on in your bios first and all should be well.

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-17-2005, 05:32 AM
If you have an old USB joystick lying around you can do a free conversion.

I picked up a set of CH Pro Gameport cheap recently.

Broke open an old logitec wingman stick.

Wired up the wingman circuit board to the rudder pots and it works great. It's about the same size as the CH circuit board.

Of course - when you plug it in, it thinks it's a wingman stick - which can be an advantage in that it is not always at the top of your device list.

TC_Stele
11-17-2005, 10:28 AM
I have the CH Pedal gameport version. You need to download the analog drivers for it here http://www.chproducts.com/retail/tech_chanlg.html

They work great! I use it along with my X-52.

Aaron_GT
11-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I have a pair of gameport CH Pro pedals and
bought a "USB nest" as it calls itself - a
gameport to USB convertor. Works a treat
except that I can't get the differential
braking hacks to work.

Crazy-Canuck
11-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Stele, how did you hook them up, using your gameport and then they needed new drivers? Can anyone show how to turn on the gameport through the bios and check to see if it has been intitialized. I believe my gamesport resides on my sound card?? Anyway I know how to get into the bios but I am not sure what to turn on and where? Thanks everybody for the help. I looked in Circuit City, and a computer shop today for a usb extension cord but found that they are hard to get. What is a USB Nest and where do I get it?
FA_Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-17-2005, 03:40 PM
If your soundcard is built into the motherboard it MIGHT be turned off.

If it is on a sound card that is not built into the motherboard it is extremely likely that it is enabled.

Either way all you should need to do to confim that it is enabled and OK is to look in device manager, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers and look for Standard Game Port.

If it is there your golden.

Fair enuf?

gkll
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
In Edmonton Radio Shack gameport to USB converters are like $11, and I found this to be far simpler than messing with the gameport either on the soundcard or MB (works but not for all hardware). USB converter works great, just skip over all the axes that aren't there when you calibrate in XP.

Don't get what you mean about 'disabling' your x45, this is done in the HOTAS section in the il2 controls. However to set up a rudder profile with the pedals will mean going into the conf file and setting it there against the right axes, as it will not show up in the game controls. If you don't do this the rudders will have 100 100 100 100 etc with no filtering etc., which you may like anyways...

Crazy-Canuck
11-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Ok, my properties seems to see my 2 gameports. However when I plug in the pedals into either one it doesn't to see it while in the control panel. How do I initialize the pedals in the control panel. I am using xp pro and the control panely asks for a joy stick and a box to check for pedals. That is how I use to do it way back when. How do I initalize the pedals on their own? Thanks
FA_Crazy-Canuck

Crazy-Canuck
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh and by the way the pedals have 3 plugs they are labeld as follows, "Gameport" "Joystick", "Aux Port". I used to plug the stick into the "joystick and gameport into the port. How does this work on its own, using my x45.
Thanks
Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-17-2005, 09:50 PM
http://www.chproducts.com/retail/tech_chanlg.html

After you do all this... you will need to go to Game Controllers in Control Panel.

Look for Ch Pro pedals in the list... like in the pic. If not there click add... browse to it than add it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/ch%20gameporthowto/gamecontrollers.jpg

After all this you will then need to edit your controls section to make everything work... then maybe use il2sticks.exe to tweak your joystick settings.

Hang in there.

Crazy-Canuck
11-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks Waldo, I will try it this weekend, a few swear words later I should have it. Do your pedals have three plugs? Which one did you plug into the gameport? I have downloaded the new driver and I will make sure all settings are funtional in the gameport. Thanks again.
FA_Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Yes mine has a few extra plugs. Just plug the extra pair into each other and all should be well.

I find swearing to be extremely helpful. Especially when driving to move people out of the way.

Crazy-Canuck
11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Waldo, I installed the driver and XP recognized the contoller but the game only saw the rudder pedals and could longer see my x45 (in Hardware settings in game). How will the game be able to distinguish between the peripherals?
You all keep answering and I will keep asking questions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Remember "Every golf shot makes somone happy"

Waldo.Pepper
11-18-2005, 11:55 AM
the game only saw the rudder pedals and could longer see my x45 (in Hardware settings in game). How will the game be able to distinguish between the peripherals?

Read this:

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm#008

Crazy-Canuck
11-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh man, I am so close!!! My gameports are now active and working since my old sidewinder stick is initializing. However when I plug the pedals in they don't show up during CH calibration. Right now it looks like one of two things, the drivers I installed are not functioning or something along those lines, or the cord from the pedals is screwed! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I may have to patch it with a USB cord after all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif Anyway to make sure the driver is functioning? The battle continues.

SparrowThree
11-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Canuck, catch me on the FA Teamspeak server and I'll explain how i did it.

I'm running the old, old, old CH Gameport Pedals on XP

Waldo.Pepper
11-18-2005, 10:32 PM
the game only saw the rudder pedals

So they were working then! And then later you said speculatively...(and wrongly)

the cord from the pedals is (you meant could be)screwed"
I repeat...go to control panel game controllers and tell me what is there!!

Do you see the CH pro pedals or not?

If not there click add... browse to it than add it.

Do you also see your joystick (presumably a USB one)? If yes great.

Start FB go to controls section... setup everything the way you like here.

Play test.. change things as need be. Then end.

Crazy-Canuck
11-19-2005, 10:18 AM
The CH Pedals shows up in settings, however when I go to calibrate the pedals they are dead. However when I plug my old analog joystick in the gameport I can calibrate, that is to say see movement etc. No joy with the pedals however no movement nothing.
Hence I feel the cord may be pooched.
Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Waldo.Pepper
11-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Crazy-Canuck:

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

No trouble at all.

The CH Pedals shows up in settings, however when I go to calibrate the pedals they are dead.

Have you installed the CH driver? Or are you merely using the MS driver for the gameport?

You will need to install the CH driver. to get to the following screen.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Are you trying to say that you do see this screen but calibration fails here?</span>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/ch%20gameporthowto/chcalibrate.jpg

However when I plug my old analog joystick in the gameport I can calibrate, that is to say see movement etc. No joy with the pedals however no movement nothing.
Hence I feel the cord may be pooched.

I would think that this would mean that the cord is fine put the pot may not be.

Crazy-Canuck
11-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Yes Waldo, I have that screen come up however the R axis is resting at the top and I don't recall seeing a circle in the bottom right of the x/y. When I moved the pedals there was no reaction. I have two gameports on my system and both are working fine. So I am at a loss? The only thing left is the hardware itself. Any ideas how I can test it?
Thanks
Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Crazy I think this is an easy one.

My pedals have a switch on top that switches them from (for lack of a better term) "driving mode" to "flying mode".

If you put it in the 'other' position from what it is in now it should work fine.

Happy flying!

Crazy-Canuck
11-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Tried that! I just tried switching the mode switch back and forth and for a laugh I went into the gmae input settings and the game doesn't recognize any controls at all. Back to the drawing board. I will get this figured out if it kills me. It has now become personal. lol

Crazy-Canuck
11-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey Waldo, what happens when you depress the pedals in the calibration. I assume the points move around the axis. Can you show me a screen shot of your axis settngs? Thanks.
FA_Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Axis settigns as requested.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/ch%20gameporthowto/axissettings.jpg

However I don't think this is the issue.

The end of the ch pedals that you have plugged into the game port of the computer is labeled GAMEPORT isn't it? (and you have the other two ends plugged into each other) right?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Crazy-Canuck
11-21-2005, 10:00 PM
All plugs connected correctly. I will take the base apart tomorrow to inspect the connections. I tried my analog joystick in both ports and they both see the stick. I will let you know what I see. Thanks again for sticking with me. When I get these babies running, all you had to do is go into the game settings and there was no conflict between the two devices or did you have to do something to keep them seperate?
FA_Crazy-Canuck

Waldo.Pepper
11-21-2005, 10:44 PM
all you had to do is go into the game settings and there was no conflict between the two devices

Yes exactly!

or did you have to do something to keep them seperate?

No nothing like that.

I think you are on the right track opening it up.

Fingers crossed!

Lucius_Esox
11-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Watching with great interest here as I have got a set of CHpro game peort pedals from my LB2 days and was told there was no way to get them working with XP. I really hope this works for you m8..

FAe_Noddy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Waldo.Pepper
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
well - it works for me right now.

Have you tried it Lucius?

Crazy-Canuck
11-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Lifes all about challenges. I will see when I take them apart. I know that FA_Swallow uses his CH PRO Pedals and they work fine. Lucius did you download the ch driver that works with XP? Waldo posted the link a few pages up.

CRAZY-CANUCK
"Every golf shot makes somebody happy"

Lucius_Esox
11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I've downloaded the file but am at work at the moment, its on my list of things to do tommorow though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've got XP pro patched to SP2 with all the latest updates and my gameport is on an Audigy 2ZS.

Here's hoping, I will post how I get on m8..

rssmps
11-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Crazy-Canuck, Lucius:

My gameport pedals works fine also.

my steps are the same as Waldo's
1) download & install analog drivers from ch.
2) connect connector labled aux to connector labeled joystick. Otherwise, it can dectect but no signal input. (Which sounds like Canuck's problem)
3) connect connector labeled gameport to pc
4) go in to game controller to set axis & sensitivity

you should end up with 3 axis....left/right toe break and rudder.

I also got the Radio Shack USB converter....
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036256
in this case:
skip step 1
do step 2
step 3 connect usb connector to pc
do step 4

works for all PF, LOMAC, F4AF.

Crazy-Canuck
11-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey thanks for the input. I made sure aux was plug into joystick and gameport into port etc. Still no joy. I will have to take apart the pedals and see what is up. What is puzzling is the anolog joystick functions fine in both ports. Anyway I think we have narrowed it down to a cord problem.

BSS_Goat
12-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Crazy-Canuck
I had the same problems untill I did this as rssmps said:

Originally posted by rssmps:
2) connect connector labled aux to connector labeled joystick. Otherwise, it can dectect but no signal input. (Which sounds like Canuck's problem)

YEEEHAWW

TC_Stele
12-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier, Crazy Canuck.

My "aux" is plugged into the "joystick", and "gameport" into the computer. Thats what worked for me and I've no clue why it won't work for you or others =/

However I got a new motherboard and it doesn't support gameport, so I had to get the usb converter.

Not hijacking the thread, but the problem I have now with the USB converter is that I can't set the deadzone or sensitivity for the pedals to work along with the brakes properly.

BSS_Goat
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Bump for that CrazyCanuk

Hope you didn't take your pedals apart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

gkll
12-10-2005, 11:53 PM
am running two sets of CH gameport pedals at this exact instant.

You can set the gameports to active, ensure there are no conflicts, and still have trouble with the pedals, correct recognition or no. Some hardware just won't do it... Also the gameport route means that the pedals are not portable, say you want to go play at a buddy's and he has an extra box... who just normally has a gameport all ready to go these days?

A USB adapter means portable pedals and no conflicts, out of the box.

For your other troubles, the switches themselves are in the pedals, the grey covers (foot treads that is) have to be lifted out. It is in the pedals where any connection issues will show up, very likely. The base is buffered by tied off cables and has no real connectors to go wrong. The cable itself could indeed be bad, and where they tend to go bad is right where the cable comes out of the molded plug that attaches it to the base. strip it open and shorten the wires, but only if wiggling the cable vigorously at the base makes the switch jump in a calibration screen.

The switches can also go bad, you may be able to clean a switch though and get 100% function, dust even will screw them up. If it is a switch wear issue, you can try pushing the little tangs inside the switch a hair in or out and they will then ride on a new area of the resistor, this can make them as new.

I have had all of the above issues and have two sets flawless pedals I can move around from box to box without fighting with the drivers and MB vs soundcard gameports etc etc.

In Il2 to adjust deadzones and profiles use whatever rudder axis it shows up as in conf.ini.