PDA

View Full Version : slow startup in direct2drive version

HomeBoy1953
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I just purchased the downloadable version (direct2drive) of Pacific Fighters from IGN.

The game installed and activated fine and works fine once it finally loads. The problem is it takes between 10-15 MINUTES to get past the spash screen! It sits at 20% for five minutes or so, then at 30% for another five, and finally at the 70% point for another five. I tried loading the game on another computer in my home and got the same behavior. When I read the FAQ at the IGN site, it says the game runs "just like a boxed game" once you activate it after the install. This makes me think it's not some network (firewall, ports, etc) issue as it should not be accessing the network in any way at that point. Besides, it installed and activated so if there were a network problem, you'd think I'd seen it at that time.

I was surprised to find no postings here (unless I'm not searching right) about this. Has anyone experienced such a problem? I tried contacting IGN about this but they were too interested in spending the $19.95 I sent them to help me.

Thanks for any help
-mark

HomeBoy1953
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I just purchased the downloadable version (direct2drive) of Pacific Fighters from IGN.

The game installed and activated fine and works fine once it finally loads. The problem is it takes between 10-15 MINUTES to get past the spash screen! It sits at 20% for five minutes or so, then at 30% for another five, and finally at the 70% point for another five. I tried loading the game on another computer in my home and got the same behavior. When I read the FAQ at the IGN site, it says the game runs "just like a boxed game" once you activate it after the install. This makes me think it's not some network (firewall, ports, etc) issue as it should not be accessing the network in any way at that point. Besides, it installed and activated so if there were a network problem, you'd think I'd seen it at that time.

I was surprised to find no postings here (unless I'm not searching right) about this. Has anyone experienced such a problem? I tried contacting IGN about this but they were too interested in spending the $19.95 I sent them to help me.

Thanks for any help
-mark

Troll2k
01-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Very few people here have the legal downloadable version.so it may be had to find some help.The boxed version does not take that long to load.

The downloadable version uses smoke and mirrors to get it to run without the cd.so I am not sure why it takes so long.

Also most that have the downloadable version can not add the patches nor merge the install.Once again I think this is due to what they have modified to get the game to work without the cd.

HomeBoy1953
01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks Troll,
I'm reading in your response a strong "YOU GOT RIPPED OFF" with this downloadable version! Indeed, I feel VERY much ripped off and totally regret the rather hasty decision to get it. IGN is being less than helpful too. I wish I had worked harder in finding a boxed version but now that I've wasted the $19.95, I'm trying to make the best of it.