PDA

View Full Version : Ship View distance...

Hans_Philipp
10-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I find that ships pop up at an extremely low range when they AND their wakes, should be spotted many miles away. Is there any way to fiddle with these values or are they hardcoded?

Hans_Philipp
10-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I find that ships pop up at an extremely low range when they AND their wakes, should be spotted many miles away. Is there any way to fiddle with these values or are they hardcoded?

A.K.Davis
10-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Yup, big ships pop from nothing to 1 cm long objects on my screen. Why can't ships work like aircraft and have a DOT setting and a gradual progression of LODs?

Hans_Philipp
10-30-2004, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
Yup, big ships pop from nothing to 1 cm long objects on my screen. Why can't ships work like aircraft and have a DOT setting and a gradual progression of LODs? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!!!

Although I'm not sure of how wakes could be handled to make them more discernible are greater distances...

Fliger747
10-30-2004, 04:23 PM
This may or may not be an attempt at how one actually spots things at sea or in the air. The sea is BIG, as is the sky. Having spent a lot of time searching the sea and sky over the years, in reality the 'target' usually pops into your vision with you wondering just why you dinn'a see it earlier! I first remember seeing this sudden appearance 'device' in a sub sim, but not being too upset with it upon reflection.

Cetainly good lookouts with assigned sectors can do much better. Radar assisted 'clues' such as "target 25 miles, two O'clock (070 deg relative)" help a bunch too, though even then a single plane is darn hard to spot at that distance unless the sun is right and you get specular reflections off of a canopy. A group of planes is much easier to spot as it is enough of an effect to sort of 'shade' an otherwise featureless sky, sort of like a cloud of gnats.

Ship wakes, now you can often see them a LONG ways off from high altitude, though not so apparent from low altitude.

Tater-SW-
10-30-2004, 04:28 PM
USN CAP planes were routinely dispatched to kill snoopers that were 25-30 miles away, who were shadowing and reporting the position of the CV group. We should be able to see something from several miles away (16km, minimum) at the very least.

tater

Hans_Philipp
10-30-2004, 05:36 PM
No matter how your mind perceives things, in real life, ships don't pop up;-)

I think they redid the way a/c fade out BTW, and its awesome now. If only they did something similar to ships, AND increased the distance at which we could see them and their wake, it would make the whole maritime ops environment that much more immersive.

Hans_Philipp
10-31-2004, 04:59 AM
One more thing...

Besides the practical/gameplay bvalue it has for us, the aesthetic/immersive value would be even more pronounced as you positioned two enemy fleets, and let them slug it out, while you watched overhead at the tracers, gun rounds, and wakes moving parallel to each other. PF requires little resources to make it an absolutely incredible experience immersion-wise since it doesn't (for the most part) have one of the major immersion killers (especially in the IL-2 series) to deal with: terrain.

SInce it only takes place at sea, your list of to-do things to pump atmosphere in the game is severely shortened. Ship and Wake view distance is an example of how a very small thing can be an "immersion multiplyer" and achieve a lot of good things, with minimal effort.

Tater-SW-
10-31-2004, 07:16 AM
How far will the AI react, in addition to this? Fly an SBD at proper altitude for a dive bomb run (10-15,000 ft) and tell the AI to attack ships and they say "unable." What, we have to attack from a couple thousand feet or something?

tater