PDA

View Full Version : SH3 just gave me a Christmas present!!

Jester_159th
07-01-2005, 11:14 AM
So, there I was. On patrol December 1939. Completed my patrol orders and still had about half my torpedoes left. I suppose, being near Christmas, all the merchant crews were at home stuffing down turkey (or whatever the rationing allowed them to have instead) and pulling crackers with the family. Basically, it was a boring patrol.

I'd just decided to turn for home when I suddenly realised my return course was going to take me fairly close to Loch Ewe. Should I take the chance? Never tried to sneak intoan allied port before. Oh why not....Afterall you only live once (or twice depending on either your relegious beliefs and/ or access to a saved game file!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif ).

I timed it perfectly. Ran in close to the entrance of the Loch on the surface, dived just before the sky started to lighten (at least I thought that was what it was trying to do, but it was difficult to tell through the clouds!), slowed, went to silent running and hugged the southern coast as I slowly worked my way past the patrol vessels. They were EVERYWHERE! I counted at least four destroyers, a couple of armed trawlers and a few Elco's. It felt very crowded in there...especially with only 5m to spare under my keel.

Finally I was past them, and the docks slowly came into view through the attack scope which I'd finally plucked up the courage to raise just above the waterline for a split second at a time.

It was one of the best moments of my life!!

First a T3 came into view. I started getting an itchy trigger finger...but decided to control myself and look a bit further first.

OMG...I'm in heaven!! sitting at a birth, bow on to me sat a Revenge class battleship!! First time I've ever seen a capital ship in any of my campaigns.

So, it's a difficult shot. Can't get a better angle due to the harbour walls etc. But there is NO WAY I'm not going to fire a full salvo at this beauty!!

Suddenly, I hear the one sound I didn't want to hear right then....an ASDIC ping! The Revenge is stationary, happily unaware of my presence...it's not going anywhere. I swing the scope round, trying to find the destroyer.....

...And all of a sudden the Revenge disappears completely from my consciousness. Sitting out in the open, presenting me with a perfect side view, less than 2 km's away IS A NELSON CLASS BATTLESHIP!!!!!

Santa DOES exist!!

The only thing missing was the wrapping paper and ribbon!

I immediately order hard a port, and swing my bow around to bring the torps to bear. The moment I'm lined up I fire a full salvo. One ofter another the first three hit and detonate!! They must have heard the blast in (virtual) Glasgow! I swing the rudder to port again, intending to use the stern tube to finish the job....Ever so slowly the angles line up. The Nelson (although it's bow's noticably deep in the water) is starting to move. Finally, I've got the shot...And fire!

......In about twenty seconds I'll get to see the Nelson go......Or maybe not!!

Remember that destroyer that was pinging me? It found me!!

The scope goes black, The grinding noises nearly make me jump out of my skin. At the very least I ripped a couple of muscles in my neck!! That's what happens when you lose Situational Awareness....You get rammed by a destroyer!!

Thank god he did ram me though...because of course he sank immediately thus sparing me the very short range depth charges I'm sure had my name on them.

Somewhere in the midst of all that the last torp hits and detonates, the Nelson settles on the bottom of the loch with it's superstructure and turrets still above the surface and the report "enemy unit destroyed!" appears on the screen!

I had intended to reload and get the Revenge as well...But with both periscopes gone and four crewmen dead I decided that caution was the definately the better part of valour..and got out of there just as fast as I could creep in silent running!!

Sorry...I just had to brag!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JoeCorrado
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Sounds like fun! All but for the destroyer part anyway... LOL. - Congrats on the prize. A screen shot would have been icing on the cake, huh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jester_159th
07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
A screenshot or two would indeed have been nice, but once the action started things were happening so fast I never even thought about it.....I've spent the last few hours kicking my own backside for not thinking of using the pause option! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

If I work up the guts to try it again I'll try and remember.

Ratek
07-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Battleships!

Who wouldn't like to meet one? Since I bagged two Fijis (in different patrols) I have been on love with the big ones. They are so tempting and juicy... Ahhh... But only two Fijis so far. Those bloody battleships are impossible to find (it doesn't help I'm in the dead period where no ships are home in the military harbours).

Sgt_Starbuck
07-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Been to that Loch twice and it was empty. 1941 running patch 1.4. Freetown empty too.

Sarge

joepie95
07-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Was recently in Loch Ewe, Christmas 1940. Found a Fiji and some sitting destroyers. And a couple of destroyers looking for me. Sank the Fiji and one stting duck. Got out safe and on my way home and in 1941 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Jester_159th
07-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Sgt_Starbuck:
Been to that Loch twice and it was empty. 1941 running patch 1.4. Freetown empty too.

Sarge

I must admit I wasn't expecting two battleships. I thought maybe a couple of tankers (or perhaps a Fiji since I'd seen a few guys mention finding them in Loch Ewe).

I know that before they put in the extra traffic in enemy ports with the 1.4 patch, that capital ships appeared in certain ports at certain times (in fact I think someone actually dug the info out of the game and posted it here quite a while back), but I don't know if that's still the case now or if it's been made far more random with the new port traffic.