PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question-what to program joystick buttons?

BobcatSteve
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I just got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It has twist handle (thanks to JerryFodder for suggesting THAT before I bought one), trigger, thumb button, hatswitch (WTH is this good for?), 4 other buttons on top, and 6 additional buttons on the base. Right now I have weapons 3 and 4 on 2 of the top buttons, flaps on the other 2. Hat switch for viewing, although I don't like it. Seems like I could use 2 or 3 more switches on the base, so what are the best functions to put there?
I'm sure not everybody will agree, and I know some of it's preference, but I want to get it set up in a config that will do me some good when I know what I'm doing so I don't have to change and relearn it later.
Are there any sites out there with scripts?

Steve.

BobcatSteve
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I just got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. It has twist handle (thanks to JerryFodder for suggesting THAT before I bought one), trigger, thumb button, hatswitch (WTH is this good for?), 4 other buttons on top, and 6 additional buttons on the base. Right now I have weapons 3 and 4 on 2 of the top buttons, flaps on the other 2. Hat switch for viewing, although I don't like it. Seems like I could use 2 or 3 more switches on the base, so what are the best functions to put there?
I'm sure not everybody will agree, and I know some of it's preference, but I want to get it set up in a config that will do me some good when I know what I'm doing so I don't have to change and relearn it later.

Steve.

horseback
02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
You have 10 buttons to work with. One is your trigger, defaulted to machine guns. Two is defaulted to your cannon, three to rockets, and four to bombs. In my experience, only Russian fighter campaigns use rockets in their early phases, and they don't use a lot of bombs. Most of the time, one of the first four buttons is available. You can change the defaults according to your needs within the mission if you like. Just hit 'Escape' and select Controls.

You can also create a different Control Menu setup for each 'Pilot' you create; I recommend setting up a German pilot, a Russian, a Yank, and so on, because their aircraft controls in CEM are all a bit different. For instance, the German pilot rarely uses rockets in his fighters; I assigned my German pilots' button 3 to toggle my Field of Vision, allowing me to go from Wide View to Normal View to Gunsight View in two quick pushes.

US fighters don't have cannon, as a rule; my pilots flying American planes' button 1 is assigned to fire all guns, and button two or three can be reassigned to toggle field of vision or drop bombs, or whatever my preference of the moment is.

Toggle Gunsight is important, if you're going to fly Cockpit On, because otherwise, most of your intrument panel may not be visible to you, even in Wide View.

Flaps up and Flaps down are handy in a dogfight; a quick flick up & down of the flaps can tighten your turn at a crucial moment.

You complained about views with the hatswitch. These can be modified by assigning a joystick base button or keyboard key to Look UP in Snap Views. Pressing the Look Up key at the same time you push your hatswitch in a given direction will raise your line of sight 45 degrees. It is important that you assign this command to a button or key that you can easily find while manipulating your hatswitch. At the same time, you can reassign the Hat 0 degree position to Look Up Forward in Snap View, which will allow you to raise your line of sight that 45 degrees straight ahead.

Of course, you may be happier just using your mouse to look around; in that case, think about a trackball setup. The Logitch Marble Mouse is relatively cheap, easy to use with either hand, and kinda cool looking. If you go that route, I'd suggest using the hatswitch for elevator and rudder trim in most cases.

Other useful commands will be Map, Radiator, elevator trim and Increase and Decrease Prop Pitch. You will find your own preferences as you go on in this sim, but these have been useful for me.

cheers

horseback

MGBMike
02-07-2005, 01:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Steve. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.wingmanteam.com/
Click on profiles button to the left.
Click on WingManâ® Team Joystick/Gamepad/Wheel Game Profiles
Scroll down to IL2 FB

Mike

Tully__
02-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Items to include on the joystick (at your preference) include:

weapons 1, 2, 3 & 4
flaps
gear
eject
airbrake
trim (elevator first, then rudder & aileron if you have room)
zoom/normal/wide/toggle views

After that, whatever you find you use often and still have room for.

For views, you may find that JoyToKey (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/joytokey/english.html) or NewView (http://www.mousevision.com/game/newView.htm) may help. Both are programs that allow you to convert dx joystick button output into keystrokes or mouse input and both will allow you to use your hat to emulate mouse panning for view control.