PDA

View Full Version : CH fighterstick: first impressions

chaikanut
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I just received my CH fighterstick and here are the first impressions i have.

Appearance: The stick almost as long as my older Cyborg evo but the base is far larger and deeper and maybe that is one of the reasons it is more sensitive. It is made from some very hard and coarse plastic which improves my grip. It does not look like a matchbox toy like the cyborg, or like a chrismas tree like the X45/52, it looks like it means bysiness. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ergonomics:

The stick has very little resistance but you can feel it when you move it around; you know exactly where the stick is without ever looking at it. The throttle has a small throw compare to the evo but this is not very important. The grip is thicker and feels sturdier than the evo and it forces your hand to remain low. This may be uncomfortable when you have a high desk but you eventually get used to it. The thicker grip may also be ackward in the beginning (I used to grip the evo really hard and now occasionally press buttons by mistake).

Gameplay:

It is worlds appart from the EVO. It feels like a precision instrument, the EVO felt like a flimsy toy. Aiming is smooth and uniform, without bumpiness or any other artifacts.

Overall I am very satisfied with the CH. I will soon buy some pedals to complement it. I recommend it to anyone, it is well worth the price.

BTW, does anyone have some tried and tested stick settings for it?

chaikanut
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I just received my CH fighterstick and here are the first impressions i have.

Appearance: The stick almost as long as my older Cyborg evo but the base is far larger and deeper and maybe that is one of the reasons it is more sensitive. It is made from some very hard and coarse plastic which improves my grip. It does not look like a matchbox toy like the cyborg, or like a chrismas tree like the X45/52, it looks like it means bysiness. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ergonomics:

The stick has very little resistance but you can feel it when you move it around; you know exactly where the stick is without ever looking at it. The throttle has a small throw compare to the evo but this is not very important. The grip is thicker and feels sturdier than the evo and it forces your hand to remain low. This may be uncomfortable when you have a high desk but you eventually get used to it. The thicker grip may also be ackward in the beginning (I used to grip the evo really hard and now occasionally press buttons by mistake).

Gameplay:

It is worlds appart from the EVO. It feels like a precision instrument, the EVO felt like a flimsy toy. Aiming is smooth and uniform, without bumpiness or any other artifacts.

Overall I am very satisfied with the CH. I will soon buy some pedals to complement it. I recommend it to anyone, it is well worth the price.

BTW, does anyone have some tried and tested stick settings for it?

Owlsphone
02-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the review. Yet another satisfied customer that is making me want one more. I have to keep saving my pennies for the Fighterstick and pedals.

Bongokid
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
if you're specialized in prop sims, you might also have a look at the CH combatstick 568 (USB too). its a tad cheaper than the fighter stick, with two of the 4-ways hat switches of the fighterstick replaced with a button.

Sure a disadvantage for the hardcore jetsimmer but i find it better for IL2 : you can set 1 button for each weapon system (MG, guns, rockets and bombs).

Bongokid

chaikanut
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
BTW I bought mine from amazon.co.uk for 90 pounds (there is one more left!). There was no CD in the box, i downloaded the software from the CH website. Maybe this is the reason for the lower price?

horseback
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
The thing about CHProducts controllers is that like the old potato chips slogan, you can't buy just one.

Now you're talking about Pro Pedals; after that, you'll find yourself looking wistfully at the Pro Throttle or the Throttle Quadrant on their website...you gotta have'em all, man.

cheers

horseback

SkyKnight.
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
CH-Products are hard to get in Germany and generally outside the US AFAIK. I tried to get a USB-HOTAS from them, after over 8 years flying with my gameport CH Fighterstick & ProThrottle.

It would have cost 150% of an TM Cougar, here, so I went for the metal stick. Don't get me wrong, the Cougar is a great stick, but it got it's flaws against the CH-Products Fighterstick. The most critical IMHO are the mechanics. There's nothing more adjustable and durable than the CH-Products hardware.

zdenkaxx1
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
i'm very interested in CH products, especially this little box of tricks.its a throttle quadrant and without realising it,its exactly what i'm looking for.its fully programmable and would give the oppotunity to put all the trim controls together http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/zdenka362436/CH-TQ-Jet-Engine.jpg

chaikanut
02-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have a good setup/ sensitivity settings for the stick? I tried searching but the search is broken again.

RevvinUK
02-28-2005, 05:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chaikanut:
BTW I bought mine from amazon.co.uk for 90 pounds (there is one more left!). There was no CD in the box, i downloaded the software from the CH website. Maybe this is the reason for the lower price? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably caught them in between CD revisions and did'nt get one because they were updating the software, generally speaking with any hardware these days you may as well throw away the driver CD included in the box as it's usually a few versiosn out of date. I use the default stick settings in IL-2, maybe there's a better setup but I'm happy with the way they are &lt;shrug&gt;

zdenkaxx1&gt; I have that Throttle Quadrant device, it's pretty versatile as you can map the axis to give analogue or digital outputs and if you use the 3 modes (four if you use CMS script) you can have three virtual devices in one physical unit so that device could give you 18 available axis. I use a profile for IL-2/Pacific Fighters that has the following controls mapped from left to right: throttle, prop pitch, mixture, landing gear, arrestor hook and flap control. I find it handy to have a visual reference to see if my arrestor hook or landing gear is down when approaching the carrier, I just pull the levers back.

I run a site for CH users if you need any help (link in sig), CH Products staff hang out there as well as Bob Church who writes the Control Manager software. You might want to try his Control Manager Control Centre software that gives you a handy system tray icon that allows you to download profiles quickly and automatically load up games when the profile has been loaded.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-28-2005, 06:17 PM
I got my Fighterstick and pro pedals about 2 weeks ago. Mine didn't come with a cd either. I called tech support and they said they don't ship the discs with them anymore. They told me to DL it at their website. Anyway, I absolutely love both the pedals and stick. I will be getting the throttle sometime here. It's kindof funny, I already have most of the buttons in game programmed on my stick and pedals alone. I can't think of what I'll use the throttle for lol. BTW, I HIGHLY suggest this stick to anyone thinking of buying a new one!!!!!

Bongokid
02-28-2005, 06:48 PM
About the stick settings.

i have reset the in game settings to all 100% response and, in the CH control manager, have chosen a slightly exponential response (i.e. low response for small deviations from the center and then higer response to higher deviations).

I also found out the reducing the sensitivity (smaller than 100%)put a limitation on the range of movement : when i had sensitivity at 80%, the small tracking point no more reached the corners. must say i'm rather noobish with the CH manager though.

Bongokid.

SkyChimp
02-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Does that stick have rudder control?

horseback
02-28-2005, 09:37 PM
No rudder control with CH sticks, but for a guy with four opposable thumbs, that should be no problem.

cheers

horseback

GAU-8
03-01-2005, 02:13 AM
i REALLY LIKE CH products equipment, but problem is ...they looks sooooo "PLAYSKOOL".

functionality is ALMOST PERFECT...but comparing them to a childrens "baby cockpit-on a stroller/chair/desk"..looks almost the same http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Capt_Magenta
03-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Got mine on Monday. 90 quid from Amazon including p&p - same price as the lower spec combat stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Absolutely brilliant - go get it uk fliers before they realise their mistake!

Cheers,

Madge

Prangerman
03-01-2005, 06:48 AM
I had a full serial/gameport CH set up with Pro pedals, Pro Throttle and FF Fighterstick. The stick was getting a little bit worn, but worked very well - after 8 years of hard use, so in a fit of wanton expense, and before our first baby was born, I invested 350 in the USB versions. (There is no CH FF stick now.)

I just love the sturdiness, strength and reliability of the CH products that I would recommend them to anyone.

If anyone in the UK wants the old rig, all with original boxes and docs - PM me and we can discuss a price!