PDA

View Full Version : Hart-Dreyer you around mate...get your trackir4 yet

blackpulpit1970
01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey hart-dreyer i was wondering if you had gotten your trackir4 and what you think of it. Also are you going to post some new tracks to watch, i appreciate your track page and was wondering about seeing some new ones, take care.

HART_dreyer
01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Hello blackpulpit1970!

It is always great when people actually want my tracks! So if the public requests it I will provide.

I have flown a few hours this year so far and I've put up two new good tracks on my website:

http://www.dreyermachine.com/il2/

Yes, I do have TrackIR4 now. I was going to make a post about it but then decided to wait as I have not used it enough yet to make up my mind.

But for the few hours (maybe 4) I've tested it I can only say the following: It's useless.

That might seem very harsh but the reasoning is:

1.) I don't need to free up one hand, I use the joystick on my right and all other control input is used with my left hand on the keypad. I do however see the benefit of using the TrackIR4 when flying formation (this is when I do need an extra hand).

2.) It too slow. No, it's not that slow. But compared to the keypad which is ultra fast and provide you with the necessary information you need from all angels within a second the TrackIR may take up 2-4 seconds to do the same job. This is far to slow for me.

3.) It does not fit great with IL2 either, when panning back and fourth the view kind of "snaps in place" slightly (barely noticeable) when you hit the direct forward view, for instance. Maybe you can turn this off, but I haven't figured it out.

There are some very, very minor advantages in combat by using TrackIR, but it does not outweigh the speed and functionality of the keypad.

Note! When a game is released that supports full 3D cockpits, compared to the flat 2D pan view in IL2, the TrackIR4 will truly make its money€s worth! Half the key of using TrackIR would be the ability to lean your head left and right, back and fourth to look €œabove and beyond€ the cockpit frame, now THIS would be an advantage. However in a 2D pan view game it does not offer any advantages as I see it.

With all this in mind, I might like it better with more training (note €˜might€), however I don€t think that is likely at this point.

blackpulpit1970
01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear your a little dissapointed in the trackir, i beleive with more time and to play around with the settings you will eventually learn to like it more. Airwarfare.com has a good article from charvel on how to use and set up the trackir to fit your needs, you may want to read it for some tips. Thanks for the new tracks, i will watch them tonight, i appreciate you still posting them, they have helped me alot. Question mate, what do you have your cannon(108) convergence set at, im curious about this. I feel it is important because of the loft of it,example is throwing a football very far you must throw it upwards to get distance and to throw it short distance you dont need to do this. So im curious as to your convergenc. Take care mate and keep the tracks coming.

HART_dreyer
01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Convergence? Ehm, I think it is set at 150. But convergence on a nose cannon? Why does it matter? It can't converge in on its self can it?

As 'far as I know' convergence has no meaning for the 109 nose cannon.

blackpulpit1970
01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
No, it can't converge on itself,but,when it is set to say 700metrs it will fire out in an upward line to reach a long distance, when set to a lower value such as 150 it will fire in a more straighter line because it doesnt need to reach a long distance. This is my observation of the cannon and distance, I may be wrong though but o well. Thanks mate. Hows the weather in norway

HART_dreyer
01-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh, really? Did not know that. Thanks mate!

I rarely ever fire from more than about a few meters out so I never really noticed.

It is rather cold here right now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Brr, I prefer warm weather!

blackpulpit1970
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Take care and see you in the air. One thing try setting the trackir smoothness setting to say 30 and it should be quite fast when you turn your head just a little, hope this may help. see ya

Hrannar
01-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by HART_dreyer:
Hello blackpulpit1970!

It is always great when people actually want my tracks! So if the public requests it I will provide.

I have flown a few hours this year so far and I've put up two new good tracks on my website:

http://www.dreyermachine.com/il2/

Yes, I do have TrackIR4 now. I was going to make a post about it but then decided to wait as I have not used it enough yet to make up my mind.

But for the few hours (maybe 4) I've tested it I can only say the following: It's useless.

That might seem very harsh but the reasoning is:

1.) I don't need to free up one hand, I use the joystick on my right and all other control input is used with my left hand on the keypad. I do however see the benefit of using the TrackIR4 when flying formation (this is when I do need an extra hand).

2.) It too slow. No, it's not that slow. But compared to the keypad which is ultra fast and provide you with the necessary information you need from all angels within a second the TrackIR may take up 2-4 seconds to do the same job. This is far to slow for me.

3.) It does not fit great with IL2 either, when panning back and fourth the view kind of "snaps in place" slightly (barely noticeable) when you hit the direct forward view, for instance. Maybe you can turn this off, but I haven't figured it out.

There are some very, very minor advantages in combat by using TrackIR, but it does not outweigh the speed and functionality of the keypad.

Note! When a game is released that supports full 3D cockpits, compared to the flat 2D pan view in IL2, the TrackIR4 will truly make its money€s worth! Half the key of using TrackIR would be the ability to lean your head left and right, back and fourth to look €œabove and beyond€ the cockpit frame, now THIS would be an advantage. However in a 2D pan view game it does not offer any advantages as I see it.

With all this in mind, I might like it better with more training (note €˜might€), however I don€t think that is likely at this point.

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm
Follow these instructions and you will be a happy camper.

HART_dreyer
01-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the link.

rnzoli
01-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by HART_dreyer:
But compared to the keypad which is ultra fast and provide you with the necessary information you need from all angels within a second the TrackIR may take up 2-4 seconds to do the same job. This is far to slow for me.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I watched some of your tracks and I know what you mean. You view around in 8x time compression mode, it looks like that anyway. I have no idea how can you process the images that quickly, but http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif No wonder that leaning left/right with TIR is not fast enough.

HART_dreyer
01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Exactly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif