PDA

View Full Version : There were deadzone issues in X-52 that new firmware fixes, here's the story...

Mysticpuma2003
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Your obvious question is "Do I have the new firmware in my stick ?"

Well the news is good and bad. Saitek have changed the firmware inside the newest sticks so that the sensors activate when the stick is moved, instead of the 2-3cm movement on the original firmware. See previous threads for many unhappy users.

Anyway, I recieved my 'new' stick, but it was, unknown to me at the time, one of the original batch, and made Pacific Fighters unplayable. See this thread :

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=6609

So, taking Richard Neville's advice I returned it (by hand (1 hour drive but worth it!)), to the shop I bought it from and explained that Richard had told me to return it and showed them the link on this forum where he advised me to do so.

Well, with outstanding customer service, Neal Taylor of Answer GCI http://www.gamecase.co.uk/customer/

followed this up for me and was told by Richard that the latest sticks had a new firmware installed in them, and that this would fix my problem. Unfortunately to see which sticks have the new firmware installed you have to look at the serial number.

So if your stick has a serial number less than S00245477 it has got the old firmware, and will most likely have the very large deadzone which will cause you problems.

I am under the impression from an email I recieved from GCI that it is the number that is important and not the letters at the start.

However, as luck would have it, Richard said on my previous post (read link above), that if you have major deadzone problems, then return it to the store you bought it from for a replacement.

Now fortunately, this is in writing on this site, so is legally binding, therefore if you have the large deadzone problem, take it back to the shop, get them to return it to Saitek, and get an updated one with the latest firmware.

Neal at GCI chased up Saitek and returned a new stick to them, and they sent me a replacement which had the new firmware chip.

I would point out though that as of 2 days ago, it was the only one available in the UK so I am informed.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with a new X-52, that is as sensative as my old Cyborg used to be, and now I just have to learn how to use it!

Hope this helps some of you guys who have had problems with the large deadzone, cheers, Puma.

Mysticpuma2003
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Your obvious question is "Do I have the new firmware in my stick ?"

Well the news is good and bad. Saitek have changed the firmware inside the newest sticks so that the sensors activate when the stick is moved, instead of the 2-3cm movement on the original firmware. See previous threads for many unhappy users.

Anyway, I recieved my 'new' stick, but it was, unknown to me at the time, one of the original batch, and made Pacific Fighters unplayable. See this thread :

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=6609

So, taking Richard Neville's advice I returned it (by hand (1 hour drive but worth it!)), to the shop I bought it from and explained that Richard had told me to return it and showed them the link on this forum where he advised me to do so.

Well, with outstanding customer service, Neal Taylor of Answer GCI http://www.gamecase.co.uk/customer/

followed this up for me and was told by Richard that the latest sticks had a new firmware installed in them, and that this would fix my problem. Unfortunately to see which sticks have the new firmware installed you have to look at the serial number.

So if your stick has a serial number less than S00245477 it has got the old firmware, and will most likely have the very large deadzone which will cause you problems.

I am under the impression from an email I recieved from GCI that it is the number that is important and not the letters at the start.

However, as luck would have it, Richard said on my previous post (read link above), that if you have major deadzone problems, then return it to the store you bought it from for a replacement.

Now fortunately, this is in writing on this site, so is legally binding, therefore if you have the large deadzone problem, take it back to the shop, get them to return it to Saitek, and get an updated one with the latest firmware.

Neal at GCI chased up Saitek and returned a new stick to them, and they sent me a replacement which had the new firmware chip.

I would point out though that as of 2 days ago, it was the only one available in the UK so I am informed.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with a new X-52, that is as sensative as my old Cyborg used to be, and now I just have to learn how to use it!

Hope this helps some of you guys who have had problems with the large deadzone, cheers, Puma.

Heavy_Weather
02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
yep, this is some great info, thx for sharing

Mysticpuma2003
02-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Pleasure really was all mine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mysticpuma2003
02-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Obviously Saitek have got worried because they have deleted this post from their official forum. Still here it is in the public domain, never mind Saitek.

hobnail
02-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Confused.

Mine is SZ00229299 and the control panel shows movement with minute movements of the stick when the software deadzone is disabled.

Should I be getting militant about this only because of the serial number?

PS is the "E" key equiped with an LED? Mine isn't.

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes indeed,
The E key has a blue light.

I have bought a saitek x52 today and
I saw with horror that my serial is
sz00244454. I can`t be satisfied with
the stick because I have to pull and push
like a lunatic.

Now I am worried!

Arms1
02-18-2005, 03:08 AM
thanks for the info, curious to know if i order one directly from saitek if they will ship old stock with the old firmware, i'm sure they must have a lot of them still

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-18-2005, 03:14 AM
One thing I don`t understand.

For cd/dvd readers/writers you can download
a firmware for your hardware. When you
have problems you can fix it with the downloaded firmware.

Why is it impossible to download a firmware fix
for the x52 stick?

HansKnappstick
02-23-2005, 07:20 AM
I've addressed the issue (my X52 seems to have that "old" firmware) to the German Saitek support, and they responded:
"Yes you can send the joystick back to us.

If the issue is not that urgent, we will be receiving new sensors which you would be able to build in without solding."

(The translation from German is mine and unauthorised)

I think I will be waiting for the sensors, my aim is crappy regardless the joystick.

Chivas
02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I would not recommend buying the Saitek from their on-line store. They haven't answered any of my emails about the deadzone problem.
Buy it from a local store with a liberal return policy.
I will phone them and see if they will send me the circuit board with the new firmware.

pourshot
02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Is it not possible to just re-flash it with new firmware?

This is normal for Cougar owner's.

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-24-2005, 07:35 AM
I have linked firstly the elevator trim to
the wheel and later to the slider but
trimming stays very sensitive.

Do someone have a solution for this?