PDA

View Full Version : Request for some from of historical ground control radar

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 05:56 AM
I'd like to request that a future update for Il-2:FB include options for some form of ground control radar systems. I am of the understanding that there was a considerable use of ground based radar control for most medium to high altitude interception missions. I don't know how available this was on the Eastern Front, however.

From a gameplay standpoint, it would be very nice to have some sort of compromise between the perfect location and heading info with the current Map Icons setting, and the complete lack of information with the icons off setting. While the FR crowd reatly enjoys it, in small games, it tends to result in very low contact rates, except directly over airbases. Unless the mission has been scripted to deliberatly target players at stationary objects away from their base it tends to result in either people "camping" their airbase under its protective flak, or if bases have no AAA protection, people camp the other airbase, vulching any targets that try to take off.

On the other hand, with Map Icons on, it removes any chance of stealth. Everyone knows almost exactly where you are, aside from altitude.

Some form of blurred location, as in, there may be a plane in this general area, may be a good compromise, allowing pilots to actually try and find eachother somewhere other than over their airbases or designated targets, while still allowing stealth tactics, and suprise attacks.

Harry Voyager

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQDLAswcqmIpvWP9dLzZVayPXOmo6IJ16aURujNfs4dDETH84 Q6eIkCbWQemjqF6O8ZfvzlsvUUauJyy9GYnKM6!o3fu!kBnWVh BgMt3q2T3BUQ8yjBBqECLxFaqXVV5U2kWiSIlq1s6VoaVvRqBy Q/Avatar%202%20500x500%20[final).jpg?dc=4675409848259594077

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 05:56 AM
I'd like to request that a future update for Il-2:FB include options for some form of ground control radar systems. I am of the understanding that there was a considerable use of ground based radar control for most medium to high altitude interception missions. I don't know how available this was on the Eastern Front, however.

From a gameplay standpoint, it would be very nice to have some sort of compromise between the perfect location and heading info with the current Map Icons setting, and the complete lack of information with the icons off setting. While the FR crowd reatly enjoys it, in small games, it tends to result in very low contact rates, except directly over airbases. Unless the mission has been scripted to deliberatly target players at stationary objects away from their base it tends to result in either people "camping" their airbase under its protective flak, or if bases have no AAA protection, people camp the other airbase, vulching any targets that try to take off.

On the other hand, with Map Icons on, it removes any chance of stealth. Everyone knows almost exactly where you are, aside from altitude.

Some form of blurred location, as in, there may be a plane in this general area, may be a good compromise, allowing pilots to actually try and find eachother somewhere other than over their airbases or designated targets, while still allowing stealth tactics, and suprise attacks.

Harry Voyager

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQDLAswcqmIpvWP9dLzZVayPXOmo6IJ16aURujNfs4dDETH84 Q6eIkCbWQemjqF6O8ZfvzlsvUUauJyy9GYnKM6!o3fu!kBnWVh BgMt3q2T3BUQ8yjBBqECLxFaqXVV5U2kWiSIlq1s6VoaVvRqBy Q/Avatar%202%20500x500%20[final).jpg?dc=4675409848259594077

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Better for Eastern Front:: Visual ground observers, like the Flying Tigers used in China. They are everywhere.

I can play though...At the Battle of Kursk, Soviets tried to out-surprise the Germans with raids against their airfields, but the ground radar found out about that sneaky idea, and the result was that they surprised the bomber formations like in the early days of 1941. tsk tsk. PARTY TIME

There is a story of Soviet Hurricane pilots vectored by ground control (radar or visual does it matter) to intercept Fw200 and they found it landed in a open field--apparently with no cover nearby as the Germans surrendered to the Hurricanes who flew overhead until Soviet infantry showed up. With no cover, your only choice is to surrender to freaking 32 machine guns flying over your head.

Oleg, let us turn off enemy icons in cockpit map if we don't wish to sim with ground control. Phu~Lease

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Now that the minimap displays a grid location, there's a good way to implement this. Just colour the sector squares on the minimap.

With a miniscule amount more work, the precision of this could be set to either very low ['there is something in a 300km radius'] down to a location of the exact grid reference on the map, shading that sectors colour on the minimap. Contact information from the map could be configurable as either setting the shade red or blue or purple if the contact is confirmed, or just darkened grey if there's a visual report of aircraft in the area.

Sound good?

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Sounds good. But maybe they just gave directions over radio, like the way in FB when you ask for directions to a airfield. Or did they have sectors named, and pilots flew there? hmmm. Now must dig through all those interviews we read. Never looked for any indications of stuff like this.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Oh - naturally. You'd have to be able to turn off the sector colouring, and use heading/vector information only if the server set it, which would probably be the full full real setting for the super propellor hat types :>

But the sector colouring would be a good compromise in terms of large theatre operations, as well as for people who would like to know roughly where enemy aircraft are [without having to plot a course on a compass], but not exactly to the millimetre where they are including the enemys heading in realtime.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 03:47 PM
The directions were typically given over the radio, with grid coordinates. I think it depends on the pilot whether or not they would mark them on their maps.

Harry Voyager