PDA

View Full Version : Tips on speed, stall

Snuffly
10-05-2004, 07:22 PM
When someone gets Il2 AEP all they want to learn or barrel rolls, loops, snap rolls, scissors, etc...

Those are good, but I think another ting that is just as important is your speed.

Tips on Speed:

First of all fly the crate you fly most, and figure out what the minum speed is that you can pull all the way back on the stick. To do this start a 1000 feet in the air, and dive, when you are going very fast spin around in circles horizontaly(sideways loops)Pull all the way back on the stick while doing this, Watch your speed, when your plane stalls out at (example) 340 kmh. Thats the speed that you can always pull as hard as you want on the stick. But must ease on the stick anything below it.

Second, try doing all your maneuvers at various speeds. Some tricks like the snaproll will greatly reduce your speed in certain planes. Make sure you have the minimum speed before performing your maneuvers.

The reason why i post this because, a lot of times when i'm on someone's six, they try to do something fancy, and stall out and loose all there speed, totaly helpless, then i come in on them, bust a couple shells into there wing and there is nothing they can do about it. Spining towards the ground with a messed up wing.

DONT STALL!!!
Most of the time, if you stall in a dogfight, and recover from it very late, chances are you better put your hand on your canopy door and prepare to slide it open, cuz that guy you just tried to kill already has his gunsite on you.

Now if you do stall and recover late, and the guy already has bullets on you, it may sound crazy but i have tried it and it works, stall again. You will flip and turn down to the earth again, and having prepared your stall, you may know the best way to get out of it. Dive down after recovery, get some speed, find where that guy is, plan ahead, and stay out of his bullet range.

I have one many fights with speed and stall handling.

Speed is your friend, stall is can be your friend or enemy.

Whatever your plane is good at, USE IT!!!

P-51 - Speed, B&Z

Spitfires - Maneuverability

Bf109's - Climb rates

use what your plane is best at and never fly with your enemy the way he fights best.
Know your plane and your enemies.

Snuffly out =S=

Snuffly
10-05-2004, 07:22 PM
When someone gets Il2 AEP all they want to learn or barrel rolls, loops, snap rolls, scissors, etc...

Those are good, but I think another ting that is just as important is your speed.

Tips on Speed:

First of all fly the crate you fly most, and figure out what the minum speed is that you can pull all the way back on the stick. To do this start a 1000 feet in the air, and dive, when you are going very fast spin around in circles horizontaly(sideways loops)Pull all the way back on the stick while doing this, Watch your speed, when your plane stalls out at (example) 340 kmh. Thats the speed that you can always pull as hard as you want on the stick. But must ease on the stick anything below it.

Second, try doing all your maneuvers at various speeds. Some tricks like the snaproll will greatly reduce your speed in certain planes. Make sure you have the minimum speed before performing your maneuvers.

The reason why i post this because, a lot of times when i'm on someone's six, they try to do something fancy, and stall out and loose all there speed, totaly helpless, then i come in on them, bust a couple shells into there wing and there is nothing they can do about it. Spining towards the ground with a messed up wing.

DONT STALL!!!
Most of the time, if you stall in a dogfight, and recover from it very late, chances are you better put your hand on your canopy door and prepare to slide it open, cuz that guy you just tried to kill already has his gunsite on you.

Now if you do stall and recover late, and the guy already has bullets on you, it may sound crazy but i have tried it and it works, stall again. You will flip and turn down to the earth again, and having prepared your stall, you may know the best way to get out of it. Dive down after recovery, get some speed, find where that guy is, plan ahead, and stay out of his bullet range.

I have one many fights with speed and stall handling.

Speed is your friend, stall is can be your friend or enemy.

Whatever your plane is good at, USE IT!!!

P-51 - Speed, B&Z

Spitfires - Maneuverability

Bf109's - Climb rates

use what your plane is best at and never fly with your enemy the way he fights best.
Know your plane and your enemies.

Snuffly out =S=

SlickStick
10-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Good post.

Not a huge pontification, yet not too short and chock full of good tips for noobs and vets alike. =S=

THE_Bu11dog
10-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Yes speed is your friend, but what causes a plane to stall is the angle of attack with respect to the relative wind. You can stall a real plane at any speed and in any attitude. All the wing knows is relative wind. It does not know plane attitude. That is how you do a snap roll. Rapidly pull the stick to cause an angle of attack that exceeds the critical angle and kick in full rudder... A snap roll.

So by maintaining a speed above the "stall speed" will not guarantee you will not stall or spin. your best bet is to limit the travel of the elevator to cut down on stalls. A limited travel will help you not exceed the critical angle of attack. It could also keep you from properly flaring in the landing phase as well.

HART_dreyer
10-06-2004, 07:24 AM
I can just feel it whenever I push the aircraft too the stall limit and then just ease off the stick. Rarely do I push my aircraft to the stall limit in a turn. I use vertical controlled stalls all the time however.

AtorianPaladin
10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
yeah when i first got FB gold bout 3 months ago i couldnt do anything, but once i got the hang of things i play with almost full realism cept engine and no speedbar.

Of all the planes to start with, use the 109. the FW 190n stalls to easy for newbs. i have a 56k so i cant play online, but the 109 even the E is one of the fastest planes in the 1940's -41 area. except the Mig3, which sux, but has good speed.

most of the time, still when you stall at 1000 meters, you have several secs to make a decision. if its not bad you can pull out of it, but if ur in a flat spin, or vertical spin, hit ctrl-e.

mostly when ur falling between 50-150 kph the plane has 10-15 secs before u hit hard terra-firma. once u hit below 300 meters in almost any plane, kiss ur but goodbye, its just impossible to get out in time, and slow down.