PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and thanks for the IL2 series

Jumoschwanz
04-28-2005, 09:34 AM
The IL2 series is in it's twilight time. I would not be surprised if 4.0 was the last major patch, and would be surprised if there was more than one major patch after it.

This is fine with me. I feel very lucky to have been a part of the community and to be able to fly this sim the last three-plus years. I believe this sim ushered in a golden age of online flight simming, that may or may not continue after this sim is obsolete. So if anyone appreciates what they have right now they are lucky and smart.

With the additions in 4.0 the modeling, features and plane-sets of this sim will be good and complete enough to reproduce scenarios from almost any theatre of WWII, quite a feat.

The graphics, flight, gunnery and damage modeling will be as good as you can get to run on a home pc.

The only thing on my wish list would be to have one allied four-engine bomber with cockpits, I think this is the only major thing not in this sim, and they were such a major factor in WWII, probably responsible for ending it as early as it was by bombing Europe and Japan to rubble.

After Oleg has ceased work on this sim altogether to put all effort into the up and coming BoB projects, might he turn the code over to a trusted group who would keep it safe and continue to trickle out new planes and patches in the years to come?

With this sims broad plane-sets and appeal for all parts of the world I would not be surprised if it was two or three years after BoB comes out before it would let simmers fly in all the parts of the world in all the planes that the current IL2 patch will let them.
So while BoB will sell as well as any release of the IL2 series has, it will not replace it for some time after it's release, this sim is too good to be made instantly obsolete, even by the newer projects of it's creator, it is a monster that will not die easy!

Thanks to Oleg Maddox and Company and all that have made this possible these last few years, S!

Jumoschwanz

LLv34_Stafroty
04-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Oleg, re-read Jumoschwanz post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks! S!

Bearcat99
04-28-2005, 10:22 PM
What a great post............. and so true.

Tallyho1961
04-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Well said, Jumoschwanz. I still can't get over how much fun/learning I've had from this series. In fact, I'm seriously thinking about taking flying lessons because of IL2. Which means I'll probably be broke when BoB is released. Oh, the irony.

Mysticpuma2003
04-29-2005, 01:12 PM
This is so scary. Jumoschwanz, have you been looking inside my head? I honestly was going to start a post like this today, and yours is already here.

I too remember my first 'real' server flights in IL2 and having my backside handed to me with players who had obviously come from EAW and other sims. I couldn't understand it. I was so frustrated. Why did my plane stall? Why couldn't I chase them? Why were my shots missing?

Oleg implemented enough options in the game setup for me to start flying my plane with stalls off and use realistic gunnery. Aha, I'm getting the hang of it now...and slowly my gaming progressed as switches for realism were turned back on and I learned how the plane should handle and be treated.

Slowly my gaming has progressed so that I could compete online and against AI aircraft offline.

I too wish that we had a four-engine bomber with cockpits and also hope like CFS3 where Shockwave took it's code and modified it, the source code could be released for a future developer to expand and improve it.

However, since the very first release of this game, how can I complain. Slowly Oleg has bought us patches to refine the game. We have whinged, Oleg has listened and tried again.

I cannot think of a game that has had so much support from it's developer in order to satisfy the community it was released to.

Oleg, thankyou for the years of pleasure I have had from this game, the new friends that I have made on the servers and forums, and please take heed and don't let the IL2 series fade into the memory when BoB comes out.

Thanks, Neil.

crazyivan1970
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:

After Oleg has ceased work on this sim altogether to put all effort into the up and coming BoB projects, might he turn the code over to a trusted group who would keep it safe and continue to trickle out new planes and patches in the years to come?

Jumoschwanz

That`s the plan Jumo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And i believe it`s working already...well to some extent. IL-2 series are not dying by all means. Work still in progress. 4.0 still in progress. And no, i don`t think 4.0 will be the last one either.

Good post.

Atomic_Marten
04-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, this thread is among small number of threads - I actually agree with all posts above..

In last few days I have been wondering, will the old AEP/PF (m) be compatible with BoB? I'm aware of some set-backs, but I think that more good effects (like satisfaction feeling that you have tons x 100 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif of airplanes in the game, and your old favourites http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) can come out of it.
I mean in a way that you can use our 'old' planes and maps in the new game, and as well online.
Purpose of my wondering is clear conclusion that it will be hard (read: impossible) to expect all planes/objects/maps to re-appear in BoB with new DMs&FMs.

Sure, some of them will be brand new like Bf-109E-4, so that objects can be excluded and replaced.

Basically, I'm talking about merged AEP/PF/BoB install, in a way.

Is this possible scenario.. what do you guys think?

IVJG51_Dart
04-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. This is, hands down, the best WWII flight sim ever produced AND continually supported, long after many companies would have stopped.

Thanks Oleg and 1c for the years of pleasure and support! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Jetbuff
04-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
That`s the plan Jumo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And i believe it`s working already...well to some extent.
Almsot floored me for a second there until I realized you meant Luthier and Co. So are you saying there is a possibility the latter will be provided with more access to the source code so that in the future they could implement FM's themselves and/or revise some of the code to keep the series alive?

As far as buying BoB is concerned, I think that 1C:Maddox (and indeed Ubi) have set an unbeatable standard in support. They have spoilt us and re-established the value of good old customer satisfaction. As a direct result, I am 100% certain that the majority of people who bought the IL-2 series will purchase BoB sight unseen.

The best thing is, it appears others are taking notice - this concept of outstanding support appears to be contagious! A few years ago, getting any sort of feedback from a developer after the game is released was unheard of. Oleg's dedication has single-handidly transformed not only the simming genre but the entire PC-gaming landscape in my opinion. And for that I am beyond thankful.

Chivas
04-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Great post Jumo, and I'd also like to thank Oleg and team for endless hours of entertainment.

Marten
I don't think a merged FB/BOB will be possible because BOB will be using a completely new code.

ytareh
04-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Well IL2 got me totally addicted to pc gaming when I used just surf the net.Now(less than a year later)Ive got every single cd-rom available related to the game. Ive even built my own pc to keep up with PF!

PBNA-Boosher
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
I've been with this game from the original demo and I've loved every minute of it. I remember when I first played the game I was amazed at how my old PC was able to cope with the amazing graphics, having now bought a new PC to run PF on, it truly shows how versatile your software is and was. Thank you Oleg, you've given us so much!

LEBillfish
04-30-2005, 10:31 AM
BoB sounds really neat, and I understand somewhat its improvements....But the decision to merge PF with FB was an excellent one (you all forget initially there were discussions of it not being an add on).

What other sim of this quality..(none existing)..Lets you fly anywhere in the world in the little down and dirty fights that really count to individuals...Ground pounding, dog fighting, the tiny encounters within a skirmish, part of a battle, due to the war. Its why most fly here, to be that individual hero that saves the moment.......Not one of a large bomber flight crew of 300 planes pounding a spec of a factory from 30,000'.

Even fighting such odds disheartening, get 3, limp home, 297 got through....Bob will be kewl, but what we have here really suits so many, most theatres, so many planes........When BoB gets popular it will be a loss to the variety we have today.

I could cruise on IL2FB-AEP-PF-(hopefully PF-AEP) for a long time coming......Well done 1c and all the private contributors so few of us know or ever will. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Fliegeroffizier
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree totally...IL2/FB/AEP/PF is the BEST WWII Combat Flight Sim ever!!!

95% of us will buy Oleg's Battle of Britain sight unseen! We will also BUY the follow-on/add-on products offering additional theaters and aircraft as the products are released over the years 2007-2010. Oleg has said he will propagate teh BofB engine to other/all worldwide theaters as the series evolves.

I think it would be a smart business decision if Oleg hired/authorized a capable group (3rd party types?) to expand the IL2/FB/PF series into the many obscure theaters/scenarios...Mediterranean, Spanish Civil War, China-Burma-India, Sino-Japanese war of late 1930's, etc... Once produced, tehse add-on products could be released for a price, let's say in the $20 range, and would keep the IL2/FB/PF series alive(and revenue producing) for another 5 years at least, esentially until the "BofB" engine/line eventually replaces these theaters. It would be a win-win situation for Oleg/UBI, AND for the flight-sim community/customers.

Bearcat99
04-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Until 1C convinces me otherwise I will be a 1C flight sim customer for as long as I am capable of enjoying a flight sim..

The only potential problem with opening the code to IL2/FB for limited 3rd party use would be if the code to BoB is similar then that could be a problem since you know how things have a way of getting out..... and once the source code to this sim becomes public it will spell the end of the sim.

I hope that if Oleg does open the code to 3rd party use he would do it contracturally thereby protecting his copyright and giveing whomever the 3rd party people were ample incentive to gaurd the code as if thier financial future depended on it.

MystiqBlackCat
04-30-2005, 06:46 PM
I have always been interested in flight and WWII in particular but IL-2 is by far the best flight sim I've played. I started with Janes WWII Fighters and the Anthology but I always felt there was something missing, IL-2 has everything and I truely appreciate all of the work that was put into it by researchers, designers, programmers, modelers and skinners.

I have learned an awful lot about WWII from tracking down leads from the game and browsing the forums, and that says alot because I'm quite the history buff.

I don't post much but this topic is right on the money and I felt that my two cents might be valuable.

Lastly, I wish Oleg the best and hope that he will have a speedy recovery and I hope for the best for his family.

AVG_WarHawk
04-30-2005, 07:41 PM
This is the kind of post a Flight Sim of this caliber deserves and should be generating more of!
excellent Jumo! And Many thanx Oleg(& Team)!

ZG77_Nagual
04-30-2005, 08:53 PM
S! Jumo! Good to see you about! Excellent post. I look forward to meeting you online once 4.0 is out. You're a great pilot with a great attitude!

nearmiss
05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
I've been in the parade for Il2 series for about 3 years now. I've enjoyed the sim offline.

Anyone expecting Oleg to open the source is thinking way off line. This sim is better than any of the MSFT stuff and MSFT has never opened the source. Don't even think it.

After this coming patch don't be disappointed if there isn't another improvement of the sim, especially if the BOB can be released soon enough. Oleg can make extra efforts wtih the BOB and produce a lot more interest from users now and in the future.

The IL2 series is still generating revenue, since it is still on the retail shelves and selling as far as I can. So, if the BOB is dragged out...we can count on more patches and add-ons. It's about staying in business.

The IL2 series is still fine. New hardware and software will push toward more state of the art products. Il2 series probably won't be that viable within another year, 2 years max.

Many of us, offline players, that have been around for several years are a little weary with same old same old. Online players get their infusion of new stimulus wtih new aircraft in the patches and add-ons.

Since the introduction of PF I've pretty well been doing other things. Never any improvements in the FMB always a few maps, more airplanes and graphic stuff. Things that added nothing that would make offline play more exciting. Forgive me, I forgot about the smoke and fires objects...they were a great addition that added a more immersive ingredient to this sim.

I've always been pleased to think Oleg was making best efforts for this community of users. He's done more and listened better than anyone producing a combat flight simulation.

A principal regret:

We never got a decent FMB that would really let us get the salt outta this sim.

There are a lot of things Oleg could have done to make the FMB better, i.e., a mission file editor designed to speedup and alter mission files quickly would have been a great improvement. Shift_E proved that with his Quick Mission Builder(QMB).

Again, I've enjoyed the sim offline. When I first started with Il2 it was a toughy to enjoy. Experience with the sim and improvements in the AI made it a blast.

---------------------

A note:

You might ask, why I poke in the negative stuff about the FMB. Just to remind Oleg and the 1C:Maddox team to give us a great FMB tool in the BOB. If we don't get it from Oleg there sure as heck isn't going to be another sim that make the effort to provide it. The latest, and best Mission Builder for a decent Combat Flight Sim I'm aware of was CFS2.

Mysticpuma2003
05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Bumpage guys, show him you care!