PDA

View Full Version : track ir question

eddiemac0
02-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi,

Is trackir really worth getting, or does Free Look and a cheap webcam (that I would still have to buy) suffice. Also, I can't remember what I did with that TrackIR rebate sheet that came with PF. Is it still redemable? My biggest issue is pric, I suppose, but if TrackIR is that much better...

eddiemac0
02-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi,

Is trackir really worth getting, or does Free Look and a cheap webcam (that I would still have to buy) suffice. Also, I can't remember what I did with that TrackIR rebate sheet that came with PF. Is it still redemable? My biggest issue is pric, I suppose, but if TrackIR is that much better...

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-18-2005, 08:50 AM
The short answer...yeah, it's definitely worth the price!

TrackIR gives you a whole new feel for the game. I don't even use the "in-cockpit" padlocks anymore, since the human eye is the best padlock system ever made!!! That alone freed up a bunch of keys on my joystick for other mappings.

I was like you when I first started thinking about it...when I saw that $30 rebate that came with Pacific Fighters. I'd been using a cordless mouse to pan around the cockpit and had grown quite used to it...so I thought, gee, how much better can TrackIR be?

Boy, was I ever wrong.

Trust me...once you experience it, the only thing you'll be wondering is why it took you so long to get it!

eddiemac0
02-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Ok, but I lost the $30 off thing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif, was it tied to the CD-key? How do I use it?

LWulffe_Dumbo
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The coupon directed you to a special web address that NaturalPoint set up to recognize the discount (I ordered mine on-line obviously).

Unfortunately, I didn't save the coupon or the web address...

...but it's worth the extra $30 if it comes to that.

womenfly
02-18-2005, 01:16 PM
It's worth every cent! I E-mailed them and they directed me to the web site for the $30.00 off coupon, the site deducted it from the total cost at checkout on-line.

Go for it .... its a whole different game with it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

P.S. Go for the <span class="ev_code_PINK">TrackIR3 Pro</span> if you can.

417Sqn_Wolf
02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
eddiemaco,
Try this site:
http://www.naturalpoint.com/banners/pacfighters-oct2004.html

ednew
02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
I can't imagine flying without it any more. But the first two weeks using it were very frustrating. If ya want to try a TIR 1 real cheap before buying a TIR3pro, let me know. I have one sitting on a shelf, $20 + shipping. Be advised it is nowhere near as good as the TIR3 though.

Smidlee
02-18-2005, 04:34 PM
When I first used TIR3 I got very dizzy so it did take some getting use to but now I wouldn't want to fly without it.

STENKA_69.GIAP
02-19-2005, 05:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddiemac0:
Is trackir really worth getting, or does Free Look and a cheap webcam (that I would still have to buy) suffice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any of the head based panning systems are certainly worth having - they significantly improve gameplay cockpit on IF you can train yourself to move your head in a controlled fashion.

If you get a $10 webcam (expensive ones don't neccesarily work better) and Freelook - it works.

I've tested Freelook is quite easy to set up but lacks some tuning features (like separate X and Y sensitivity)which come in usefull later on for fine tuning.

Cam2pan software would cost you an extra $10 and can be fine tuned to get very good results but takes more setting up. It's what I use all the time.

The latest track IR has one dramaticaly superior feature which is the ability to move the position of your head to look round the
cockpit bars/struts/supports - but this is not and will not be implemented correctly in IL2/PF. When BOB comes out this will make TrackIR well worth the $100+ dollars extra.

However - before you shell out any money - make sure you have a decent graphics card and 2Mhz + processor. As your field of view is constantly changing cheap graphics has a hard time keeping up - you can get a lot of shearing.

eddiemac0
02-19-2005, 06:39 PM
How necessary is Pro vs. Regular 3? I'm thinking of buying this, a HOTAS and rudder pedals all at once... comes to a heafty sum any time of year. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

kSetuni
02-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Eddie,

I have researched this, asking many of the sme questions when considering buying my track IR (mine is in route hopefully will have it next week) Everyone that I spoke with said the same thing. The 3Pro is alot smoother than the 3. This is due to the increased framerate sampling. They also said that the vector expansion is the ultimate, because even though its not supported by PF, the stability improvements are enormous. This is due to head leaning moving forward back (essentially all the new 6DOF motions other than the left right up down) are filtered out and only the actual turning left/right and moving up/down are commanded. After hearing a tremendous amount of feedback, saying pretty much the same, it made it easy to decide to go with the 3pro + vector. I also have a CH fighterstick and Pro Throttle on order, so I knwo the feeling of having to shell out all the money at once (I already had the pro pedals).

Hope this helps some.

S.M.