PDA

View Full Version : Question about radiator

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:32 AM
S!

So far everyone said that with radiator on, planes loose a lot of power and speed.
I decided to make some tests and I saw that it was just about the same!
Furthermore, I made some tests with more or less fuel (more/less weight) and the result was the same!
Nor radiator or fuel load changed the speed of a plane when flying at the same alt!

So, has anyone else made some tests that prove anything different or what's going on?

Why should we have radiator closed when all we get is overheat and only?

P.S. This is only a small test, not something extended. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to know the opinions of those who have made same kind of tests.

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:32 AM
S!

So far everyone said that with radiator on, planes loose a lot of power and speed.
I decided to make some tests and I saw that it was just about the same!
Furthermore, I made some tests with more or less fuel (more/less weight) and the result was the same!
Nor radiator or fuel load changed the speed of a plane when flying at the same alt!

So, has anyone else made some tests that prove anything different or what's going on?

Why should we have radiator closed when all we get is overheat and only?

P.S. This is only a small test, not something extended. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to know the opinions of those who have made same kind of tests.

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Sorry to disagree.
I've tried speed tests on Bf109G/Ks and FW190D-9 and Yaks.
Expecially on 109s, closed radiators mean >20-30 km/h max speed. Dora and Yaks seems less sensitive.
I didn't check fuel levels (only with 100%).

Which plane(s) did you test?

XyZspineZyX
08-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Just want to add that the effect on T of closing radiators is that you can keep >100% throttle/WEP for shorter before overheating...