PDA

View Full Version : Cold Hands

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Anyone else's hands get really cold when playing online? Or is it just me?

Please feel free to share your most intense cold-handed experiences online!

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Anyone else's hands get really cold when playing online? Or is it just me?

Please feel free to share your most intense cold-handed experiences online!

PBNA-Boosher
12-23-2004, 11:58 AM
I think my coldest experience was taking a BI-1 to 40,000 meters.

NORAD_Zooly10
12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
i have a similar experience (not cold hands though), sometimes the immersion is too much and my body seems to produce too much adrenaline and i shake like crazy, unable to get a bead on anything. it doesnt happen that often but when it does i take a break, sad but true.
~S~
Zooly

SkyPiggies
12-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Probably just the ghosts of dead pilots haunting your room as you play. Happens.

civildog
12-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Or you could just turn the heat on in your room, it is Winter after all.

LStarosta
12-23-2004, 05:49 PM
LoL, the heat is on, but my hands get cold regardless. It's sort of like that spooky feeling you get when you're patrolling at high altitude but you could've sworn you saw a black dot behind you... And when you look again, it's not there...

C'mon people let's share some scary, crazy, or spooky stories from when you were online!

SkyPiggies
12-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Yep it's ghosts of dead airmen for sure

They exist, you know. Roald Dahl wrote a book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140035745/qid=1103849290/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-5425776-3073528?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) about them

civildog
12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
I was lining up my final approach for landing a very badly shot up stormovik after pounding the Hun on VFC. My gunner was dead and the main gear fell off when I lowered it in a desperate attempt to slow down because my flaps were dead, too. Holes in the wings and the stick so touchy the plane would've rolled if a bird laded on a wing.

I almost had it, tail was going hit first, I was just about to kill the engine and let the nose drop gently down and make the big slide to a safe return.

Then my wife came up behind me (I play with headphones on and was concentrating pretty hard to see through the oil-streaked canopy and all) and yelled, "Boo!" as a joke.

I jumped so high I left a dent in the ceiling and piled up the 'vik. I yelled back in all seriousness, "Oh great! See! You killed me!"

Then I started laughing when my wife said back, "Did you know you talk to yourself when you play this game? Who's this "Baby" you kept saying 'Come on, come on, you can do it' to?"

-HH- Beebop
12-24-2004, 01:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
...my wife said back, "Did you know you talk to yourself when you play this game? Who's this "Baby" you kept saying 'Come on, come on, you can do it' to?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! My wife says I get such a serious look on my face when I play. Fortunately she's watched me often enough to know who "Baby" is.

woofiedog
12-24-2004, 02:32 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/aviation/pages/avdata.php

Airport & village
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 19 January (spitfire) (reoccurring)
Further Comments: Observed flying overhead, and sometimes heard, a phantom Spitfire haunts the skies of Biggin Hill - January would appear to have become its favourite haunting month. Airmen dressed in trench coats have been reported in the village; they stop people and ask directions before disappearing.

Pilot on Fire

Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: Two ghosts have been reported at this former World War Two airbase. A pilot who crash landed runs down the runway with his clothes on fire, while an engineer who lost his arm in machinery staggers around screaming.

WWII Aircraft

Location: Hope - Aston Lane, near the railway bridge, skies over
Date / Time: April 1995
Further Comments: Witness Tony Ingle watched an totally silent aircraft fly past him, a mere 15 meters above the ground, before it dived behind a hill. Expecting to find the crash site, Mr Ingle investigated but found nothing there.

Mashie_Nibblick
12-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Cool site, Woofie, thanks!

What you are experiencing, Starosta, is immersion. Feels pretty cool, doesn't it? As your mind feels stress and fear, you experience an adrenaline reaction, part of which is to reroute bloodflow from the extremities to your body's core, in order to give better performance to critical systems such as your heart and lungs. This is an ancient reaction manifesting itself during the playing of a Twenty-first Century game.

I'd say it takes a pretty good game to elicit that sort of reaction, wouldn't you?

Personally, I've felt the cold hands, too, plus occasional nausea during a particularly hairy bombing run.

Oh, yeah, I used to know this guy named Luke. He was always talking about how cool his hands were.