PDA

View Full Version : Why roofers are smart. Or not.

RusticRevolver
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Though it makes yourself stand out like the statue of liberty, it's all worth it. Think about it, your targets would probably be scrutinizing the 360 degrees plane for their perhaps conspicuous pursuer (it's only natural, not sure why) but you can completely surprise them from above. Moreover, their smoke bombs or mutes will be totally disregarded. In a nut shell there's no way of stopping you from killing them unless you kill the wrong guy. Also it's pretty easy to identify your target if he's moving from one place to another alone. AND the range from above is pretty huge, so most of the time i can get a focus before hitting the square button so it averages around 300 to 550.

The thing about pursuers spotting you is, how do i say this, "all part of the plan". It's kinda obvious when pursuers climb the roofs and walk towards you in a awkwardly brisk manner. So throw a smoke bomb, activate mute, charge at him. 200 guaranteed points for Mr obvious, right there. But then again, you'd have to be REALLY aware of your contiguity, making sure no one sneaks up on you. Another thing i'd like to mention is the immunity to poison (it's hard to get close enough to a roofer to poison him).

Roof-running is an absolutely legitimate and somewhat brilliant tactic. So if you're calling us roof-runners noob-ish, think again. If you think that the game is to be played a stereotypical manner (stealth stealth stealth poison poison poison) or crying for the roofs to be inaccessible and for running to have more serious back-lashes, you need to be more open to ideas. If you get so annoyed by this and just makes you wanna smash your console, which sometimes i do ironically, think of how to deal with it. This was exactly why developers put a gun in this game.

Sps_Drake
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Can't shoot your pursuer with the gun, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Comrade.

obliviondoll
01-14-2011, 10:21 PM
You're not immune to mute on a roof...

Rainie
01-14-2011, 10:25 PM
There are smart roofers and there are dumb ones, just like there are smart/dumb runners and people that can or cannot play stealth. This game is designed to let people play how they want. If you want to enjoy the game learn go adapt. I for one hate roofers, but only because it's one of the kills I can't defend against and I have respect for those who do it well. I've tried playing like them but it usually ends up with me dead haha

Rainie
01-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Yup, mute goes up buildings so you can still get muted up there

obliviondoll
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Forgot to mention, you're also not immune to poison on a roof - it's just harder to land (I've done it a few times - it's easier on Advanced Wanted/Alliance.

Generally better to wait for the target to drop onto someone else before hitting them with it.

RusticRevolver
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Forgot to mention, you're also not immune to poison on a roof - it's just harder to land (I've done it a few times - it's easier on Advanced Wanted/Alliance.

True. And about the non-immunity to mute, technically true but not realistically plausible. How do i explain this? You can't mute at the instantaneous second the roofer hits the assassinate button. (Something along those lines).

Say, i havent had a game with you yet oblivion! Looking forward to it

MidlifeHighjack
01-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't call roofers smart. It's just a good way to get around smoke and not getting your teeth handed to you in a little baggy. I am not a good roofer or do I enjoy going up after them. I try hard to wait them out if I am the only person after them. If Another person is also after the roofer I let them eat smoke first then drag that roofer off the roof. There are ways to deal with ground people and roofers just need to find your happy place and work from there. I wouldn't say I hate roofers I do enjoy seeing where my target is a mile off and just slowly work my way ahead of them while staying in a crowd. Best to not go up to the roof where they are good just wait them out or follow someone else who is after the same target. I sometimes use knifes to stop a roofer then try a mad rush up the wall at them 50/50 shot if I can make it.
I used to throw a fit cuss up a storm about roofers but I just look at them now as easy targets and keep my eyes on the roof tops for the one after me.
I think why people feel roofers are stupid and why roofers get a bad rep is that 90% of the people starting multi player tend to start on the roofs so when you see anyone on the roof your used to it being some noob who doesn't know any better.

FireTempest00
01-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Yup, mute goes up buildings so you can still get muted up there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hold on one freaking moment.

How does mute go up buildings?

MidlifeHighjack
01-14-2011, 11:44 PM
It effects the Area think of a cylinder from the ground up not just that cute little grid your seeing on the ground it's more of a cylinder effecting everything within it's range including up.

Sps_Drake
01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by FireTempest00:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriticalraine:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Yup, mute goes up buildings so you can still get muted up there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does mute go up buildings? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You just questioned the Animus. Anyway, I think it is in a large half sphere radius.

obliviondoll
01-14-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it's spherical - if you're within mute distance in any direction, you can't kill or use abilities for the duration.

If you look up, you can see the target and mute them - gives you time to get out of assassination range.

FireTempest00
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it's spherical - if you're within mute distance in any direction, you can't kill or use abilities for the duration.

If you look up, you can see the target and mute them - gives you time to get out of assassination range.

Not sure about that one. That has been times I had an elevation advantage (with a good distance so my pursuer could be in range mind you) and I got stabbed silly.

Smoke bomb on the other hand would handle that situation better.

NightofDawn
01-15-2011, 12:01 AM

What if the pursuer is directly above a very tall building(e.g. the one in vienna.)? Will the range reach the pursuer?

obliviondoll
01-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by NightofDawn:

What if the pursuer is directly above a very tall building(e.g. the one in vienna.)? Will the range reach the pursuer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In THAT case, I'm pretty sure they're safe.

But some people have said that mute cancels a gun lock if you activate it while they're aiming (there's an audio cue you can listen for). Haven't tested this myself, because I'm terrible at using mute, and almost never hear the audio cue for the gunshot anyway. But I've heard it from multiple sources, and some players have tested it shooting from outside mute range and said it still canceled targeting.

arkadye
01-15-2011, 03:56 AM
I have seen roofers playing it well.

I think there's a bit of a meta-strategy here. If most people are roofing, just playing it stealthy will work out well - you'll get a fair number of incognito kills as your mark runs past you.

If everyone is being stealthy, there's a lower number of total kills (though higher quality kills) and by running around like a madman, hitting targets first you can make up for quality with quantity. (I've also seen videos of this work - by accident - guy was trying to make a parody video)

tallinn1960
01-15-2011, 04:07 AM
I am for sure not the best Wanted player around, but one of those with the most experience (number of sessions played). And I learned that roof campers (those who only come down for a kill and run for another roof immediately thereafter) die young, die fast. Whenever such a roof camper gets more then one pursuer on him he won't make it very long. If my target happens to be such a guy (or girl) and has another pursuer on him I do not even consider going after him. He will be dead by the time I would reach him.

And I was really surprised once I learned how bad those guys are defending in general. You can get incognito and even poison kills on them on the roof. Their problem is: they see their pursuer late. It is not that easy to see someone climbing up to you, in fact, the walls of the building a roof camper is on is part of his blind spot. Once you come across the roof border there not much time left for them to react. And they cannot move that freely around on the roof, as they are afraid to get their target into a chase.

FANIS1993
01-15-2011, 07:16 AM
you are right about the roof runners, they are smart and i am doing it too, to get some aerial kills that are gonna get me ranked up first, but the thing is i don't it all the time, but some people are always on a roof and waiting for killing their target and thats when its so annoying. if they could just make a map where there aren't so many buildings that would be awesome!!

PieAssassino
01-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by RusticRevolver:
Think about it, your targets would probably be scrutinizing the 360 degrees plane for their perhaps conspicuous pursuer (it's only natural, not sure why) but you can completely surprise them from above.

Yeah, but It's pretty easy to just look up and go "Oh, maybe I should stay away from that guy perched up there. He looks scary."

FearlessSpeach
01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
The true difference in strat between a stealther (take for example, our paragon, Rainie) and the hypothetical good runner, I think, works like this:

They fall into two schools of thought:

Stealth: I will get so many points, you can't possibly out score me. I will do this on a low number of extremely high value kills (at least 2 over 1k each). Also, due to the play style, I will accumulate some stuns, and hopefully deny my pursuers big points.
---- I have a huge score, and you get limited points from hunting me

Good Runner: I will deny EVERYONE points. By taking a good early lead (First blood acrobatic, hopefully a stun or escape) I will force as many other people onto the roofs as I can. Between stuns, escapes, the odd kill of opportunity, and the fact that anyone who does kill me will only get 1-200 points, the winning score for the match will be low (under 3k often, rarely over 4). The runner is taking advantage of the fact that other people will be lured off the ground, and hoping his skill at free running is moar gooder than theirs. Interestingly, the bad lvl 9 guy with a gun can play a huge role in who wins these while still finishing dead last.
-- I will have a low to moderate score, but so will everyone else. Running is less about amassing points, and more about keeping others from getting points.

In a stealth match, especially one clearly dominated by a stealthier, often all the pursuers will be sneaky, allowing anyone not seeking the leader to get solid stealth kills, often producing 3 or more people over 4k points.

JetReadyGo
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by RusticRevolver:
Roof-running is an absolutely legitimate and somewhat brilliant tactic. So if you're calling us roof-runners noob-ish, think again. If you think that the game is to be played a stereotypical manner (stealth stealth stealth poison poison poison) or crying for the roofs to be inaccessible and for running to have more serious back-lashes, you need to be more open to ideas. If you get so annoyed by this and just makes you wanna smash your console, which sometimes i do ironically, think of how to deal with it. This was exactly why developers put a gun in this game.

I'd like to know your average score per match along with all your other stats before I would bother considering you "smart"

You can't poison off a roof and I'm not sure how easy it is to do a focus kill off a roof either since they probably have to be really close to the wall in order for that to happen.

Even though you claim people don't generally "look up" I find myself looking up all the time. It's easiest to spot a rooftopper because I can look up OR look down and see the shadow you cast from the sun.

I also make it a point, when possible, to blend into a moving crowd or a crowd not near any roof.

The strategy of running around on the roof doesn't work at all if people just don't happen to be under you for a kill. So I'm not really sure why you feel like grandstanding about rooftops in the first place.

obliviondoll
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Have to disagree about focus kills on the roof. They're easy. If your target doesn't see you, Watch them until you're focused. If they do, knife then focus.

And you can drop smoke off ledges too. I got aerial focus doing this once. Was evil and hilarious.

VampiricGranny
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I did this today...

Standing on a roof, target in stationary morphed group stood below.
Jumped down into the group, using Smoke Bomb followed by Morph.
The group of Hellequins instantly transformed, revealing my target.
I was proud.
My internet then cut out. SIGH.

JetReadyGo
01-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Have to disagree about focus kills on the roof. They're easy. If your target doesn't see you, Watch them until you're focused. If they do, knife then focus.

And you can drop smoke off ledges too. I got aerial focus doing this once. Was evil and hilarious.

Yes but I'm talking about the distance between the roof and the prey at this point. Don't you still need to be X amount of space close to the opponent?

RusticRevolver
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by JetReadyGo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RusticRevolver:

I'd like to know your average score per match along with all your other stats before I would bother considering you "smart"

You can't poison off a roof and I'm not sure how easy it is to do a focus kill off a roof either since they probably have to be really close to the wall in order for that to happen.

Even though you claim people don't generally "look up" I find myself looking up all the time. It's easiest to spot a rooftopper because I can look up OR look down and see the shadow you cast from the sun.

I also make it a point, when possible, to blend into a moving crowd or a crowd not near any roof.

The strategy of running around on the roof doesn't work at all if people just don't happen to be under you for a kill. So I'm not really sure why you feel like grandstanding about rooftops in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, i refuse to ignite a childish bicker about my skill level. So be one of those nescient detractors for all i care.

The poison i was referring to is that used by the pursuers of the roofers, not the converse. The range is pretty huge from above and the only way i can convince you that this is true is if you break your repetitive gameplay style, get on to the roof and aerial kill someone.

About the people generally not looking up issue, granted it was a mere assumption. But even so, whenever you're in a 'valley'(in btw 2 buildings, i have no idea what better word could be used lol), the camera angles restricts you from seeing what is on the roof.

Anyhow, i'm just trying transpire that, contrary to popular belief, roof-running is actually not completely a product of amateurism. Gotta admit, it has it's flaws but so does being blended in a crowd all the time.

RusticRevolver
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by VampiricGranny:
Slightly off-topic, but I did this today...

Standing on a roof, target in stationary morphed group stood below.
Jumped down into the group, using Smoke Bomb followed by Morph.
The group of Hellequins instantly transformed, revealing my target.
I was proud.
My internet then cut out. SIGH.

Random much lol. Think people do that quite a bit now - offensive morphing or whatever name it goes by

E-Zekiel
01-15-2011, 10:09 PM
You know what'd be hilarious? If you got a stun for shooting your pursuer. I would love that, lol. Too easy though, but the hilarity value would be very high.

L_SHunter
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Well I personally like to mix up my play, usually determined by the play style of the majority of the players in the match. I will tell you roof running does work, against runners and roofers. A good stealth player will not lose to a roofer. First they will see you coming and once they notice the match is full of roofers they will be using charge/mute and smoke and get 2 stuns to every time someone kills them as well as the incognito/hidden kill of the guy who was after one of the two people they stunned. Fact is the game isn't kind to roofing.

Don't get me wrong a good roofer/runner can beat a stealth person I see it all the time. Also to add the best players out there (and I know some of them on psn) mix stealth and running/roofing using each at the appropriate times.

Long story short, using all aspects of the game is the key not being a moron and trying to claim that roofing is brilliant.

obliviondoll
01-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by JetReadyGo:
Yes but I'm talking about the distance between the roof and the prey at this point. Don't you still need to be X amount of space close to the opponent?
Yes, but from a rooftop, you have a wider jump range than on the ground, and people are more likely to stand under you and let you focus than next to you.

MightyBang
01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
A good roof runner will always gain some points and probably a high amount of them against a not so good group of players.

But, IMO, a good stealth user will spot the roof runner miles away and he/she should never get a chance to attack.

Getting attacked easily = fail. You should attempt to always be aware of the people you think are gunning for you, and the roof users are real easy to spot/avoid and usually end a sound 200 points for me. Frustration takes over and they come down from that perch eventually. I'll just kill a civ if I get them to target and get it on with someone on the ground lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

swiftkinfe
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
When I heard a guy yell I was camping I thought he was just being a ***** cause he was loseing.I use roof tops for getting the air and variety bonus its all about points guys and there good ways to escape pursuers.

MAGIKAHN77
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
First off Roofers and the word Smart dont go together. Secondly, let them get there mere acrobatic points. My comment is to roofers, Do not assume you are stealthy because you can jump off buildings and run around on roof tops. We all have compasses idiots. If people wanted to chase you that's there stupidity a bullet is much easier and yes these guns can hit from a long way. BTW if you throw knives as they leap from buildings it kills them just the same. all in all Roofing isn't that hard just higher. So please dont assume they/you have skill cause you run n jump like monkeys.

obliviondoll
01-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by MAGIKAHN77:
First off Roofers and the word Smart dont go together. Secondly, let them get there mere acrobatic points. My comment is to roofers, Do not assume you are stealthy because you can jump off buildings and run around on roof tops. We all have compasses idiots. If people wanted to chase you that's there stupidity a bullet is much easier and yes these guns can hit from a long way. BTW if you throw knives as they leap from buildings it kills them just the same. all in all Roofing isn't that hard just higher. So please dont assume they/you have skill cause you run n jump like monkeys.
It's possible for a roofer to be smart.

Just like it's possible for a stealth player to be an idiot.

We've all seen those guys who think that fast-walking across the fountain in Rome is stealthy, because they didn't go high-profile while doing it. Most of us have punched a few of them in the faces for being captain obvious.

Skilled stealth players will usually beat skilled roofers, and non-idiots on the roof are much less common than good stealth players.

Have just recently experimented with a build going for the "play with your food" challenge, and done some stupid rooftop/runner tactics just for the sake of hilarity and learning from the Prowler. I didn't do well, but it was fun to have a change of pace, and I had a couple of podium finishes with over 3000 points when I tried to be sensible about taking to the rooftops.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:00 AM

Have just recently experimented with a build going for the "play with your food" challenge,

yessss.... dolly is falling into my trap.

I would however, like to point out that there have been 2 separate posts in this thread providing in depth looks at running strategy as a strategy and its elements that have been completely ignored by people making such highly informed claims such as "roof and smart dun go in same sentancez"

I feel everyone should pick something like play with your food and work on it (alot, as in actually finish the challenge before saying 'oh i worked on that') if they are a stealth player, or work on getting the hidden kill challenge if a roofer before the arguments about one group being lame continues. Once you've played both sides, you may find your average scores going up as you adapt new abilities into your skill set.

And calling on someone to post average score per match is sort of null, because as I said, roofing to win is often more a points denial than points accumulation approach. The % of matches won stat, I think, would be much more telling. For example, someone could be a fairly decent manhunt player and have 5-6k average, but still have a very low win % (sub 20). Yet that average would be higher than many wanted players who have higher win % - for example, my current win % is 57% but my average round score is 3.something, 6 i think. Granted both of those came down a fair bit while doing play with your food and the gun challenges.

Edit: As far as skill, I would say any time you win a match with 0 kills and 0 deaths took a fair amount of skill, and I see no way to do that without stepping onto at least one roof top. There are skills and talents inherent to both styles of play, its just true that most roofers are bad at being good roofers and server to do little more than greatly annoy stealth players due to the hassle of dealing with 150 point deaths and stolen kills.

Neros5555
01-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Well, I generally don't see too many roofers and I sometimes tend to use roof runner tactics but roof running can't possibly match up to the incognito/hidden/focus/(maybe poison) points that you get from kills when on ground playing it stealthily.

If I see a particularly annoying roofer I'll just shoot him or if not I'll just kill an NPC and get on with stealthily killing my targets for 600-900 ( if I use poison ) while they usually end up with 300 on average. 550 if they are lucky enough not to get shot while waiting for focus.

PSN : MuukenTuuken

Solly13
11-28-2011, 08:36 AM
There are good and bad of whatever playing style and whilst roofers are something of a pet peeve for me I try to make allowances for diversity of playing style etc Each to his or her own .. whatever turns the proverbial meat red I guess. It is strange how roofers cause such annoyance though. Is this a legacy from ACB perhaps or is it now more common in ACR than it was previously in ACB?

Either way it isn`t manic running and for this we should be thankful surely!

Redbanana27
11-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Please don't bring back threads that are 10 months old!

marq08
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
holy necro batman....

This thread. So old.

E1_ASES1N0
11-28-2011, 03:00 PM
My thoughts are like raine said. There are the smart ppl on the roof tops and then there are the stupid ones, and there is a fine line between them. I know that I have had some brilliant games from running on the roofs. And those stupid ppl that do it, I have found them easier to kill, they make themselves stand out, and make dumb choices that get them killed easily. Now I ran knives and smoke all the time, so it didnt bother me that much.

metalgearso1971
11-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Oops, just saw how old this thread is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Nevertheless...

Originally posted by FANIS1993:
you are right about the roof runners, they are smart and i am doing it too, to get some aerial kills that are gonna get me ranked up first, but the thing is i don't it all the time, but some people are always on a roof and waiting for killing their target and thats when its so annoying. if they could just make a map where there aren't so many buildings that would be awesome!!

I use roofs occasionally as well. As for those who continuously run around on roofs I use throwing knives and hidden gun.

It's funny how fast they get to the ground when you kill them a couple times with these abilities.

BeCk41
11-29-2011, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriticalraine:

Believe it or not, it can go up entire buildings xDDD

obliviondoll
11-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by BeCk41:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FireTempest00:

Believe it or not, it can go up entire buildings xDDD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's a spherical effect, not just a horizontal one like Smoke. Anyone within range, even if they're above you (which with Strong Mute in ACB can reach a target/pursuer on a 2nd floor) will be affected. It's also not stopped by walls, so you can Mute without going into line of sight.

SniffyPenguin
11-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:

Irrelevant. Mute lasts only about a second. So, if you're close enough to a roof that you'll actually hit your pursuer with mute, then you're also too close to get away from being roofed once the mute has finished. You'e not going to get a stun out of that mute, and it's not guaranteed that you'll even get away.

Using mute against someone on a roof is entirely pointless.

OP is correct: Roofing is ridiculously favoured in this game. However, smart players will stay in areas where they can't be roofed and force their pursuers to come at them on the ground.

obliviondoll
11-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by SniffyPenguin:

Irrelevant. Mute lasts only about a second. So, if you're close enough to a roof that you'll actually hit your pursuer with mute, then you're also too close to get away from being roofed once the mute has finished. You'e not going to get a stun out of that mute, and it's not guaranteed that you'll even get away.

OP is correct: Roofing is ridiculously favoured in this game. However, smart players will stay in areas where they can't be roofed and force their pursuers to come at them on the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know this thread was for ACB BEFORE the patch that broke Mute, right?

No?

Then you probably also don't know that back then Mute was a viable counter to rooftop Smoke or Knives being used to get Focus, AND was a 1.5 second (2 with LL) effect that kicked in near-instantly and gave enough time to get away if used correctly.

behrskins
11-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Do I dislike roofers? Yes. Do I think they should be nerfed to death? No. What Ubi needs to do is make it so that when you spot your pursuer on a roof and you lock on them it instantly forces a chase. Spare me the me the "you can just run away" response. Once you are outed as a purser, you should be forced to chase your target at that point. Not have to opportunity to once again get a high point kill.

It's probably the simplest and most elegant solution to the roofing issue. People would still be able to roof, but you are going to need to be especially stealthy to do it. Which it should be since you are so exposed.

When I play, my first response is always to look up and look at shadows since it seems the vast majority of people I play against are on the roof. As others have pointed out, I find a nice spot under a roof or canopy and force people to come to me. If I've got a target that I know is a headless chicken on the roof, I most likely will kill a civilian especially my target is all the way across one of these new massive maps. No point in trying to run them down when most likely one of my pursers is going to get close to be long before I get near my target.

AVanguardLeads
11-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Players who roof constantly are annoying as hell and really should just stop, but that's my own personal opinion. In my experience they also aren't very smart and can be taken care of easily if you know what you're doing. That being said, I really hope Ubi changes it so if you're up on a roof your detection meter drops to Discreet. Roofers are clearly visible and should not be given Incog bonuses, and that will kind of balance everything out. I'm fine with roofers as long as they don't win because of it.

SniffyPenguin
11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SniffyPenguin:

OP is correct: Roofing is ridiculously favoured in this game. However, smart players will stay in areas where they can't be roofed and force their pursuers to come at them on the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know this thread was for ACB BEFORE the patch that broke Mute, right?

No?

Then you probably also don't know that back then Mute was a viable counter to rooftop Smoke or Knives being used to get Focus, AND was a 1.5 second (2 with LL) effect that kicked in near-instantly and gave enough time to get away if used correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't realise someone had necro'd an old thread.

Still, pre-patch, post-patch, using mute like that is a waste.

obliviondoll
11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by SniffyPenguin:
Still, pre-patch, post-patch, using mute like that is a waste.
Not when that extra 30 seconds of survival gets you to your +750 kill streak it's not.

And not when it lets you get to a good blend group you can't be easily screened in.

And not when you're in Manhunt and need to get past one pursuer to help stunlock another and you know your teammates will cover you when you get there.

Just because a particular use of an ability is situational, doesn't mean it's a waste to use it that way.

E-Zekiel
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Not sure about that one. That has been times I had an elevation advantage (with a good distance so my pursuer could be in range mind you) and I got stabbed silly.

Smoke bomb on the other hand would handle that situation better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd chalk that up to lag. It was spherical even in Brotherhood. I muted people on roof for sudden fast stuns numerous times then.

I still do on occasion now, but I don't use mute as often as I did then.