PDA

View Full Version : SH4 and Windows 7

Blowtanks
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
A guy I know, we fly the same flight sims, saw some SS's of SH4 and wanted to play. I bought him a copy yesterday to surprise him with. He is not so computer savvy, I am only with XP, he has Windows 7. I remember talk about loading to C drive and not program files.
Could someone please explain, for brain dead person, the best/correct method of running this game on 7?

Thank you...

Yooperbacker
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (64bit) a few months ago. Before that I had XP. When I had XP I installed SH4 to an external drive.
When I got Windows 7 the first thing I did was turn off UAC (user account control). I then re-installed SH4 to that same external drive and everything works fine.
On my external drive I installed SH4 to E:\Games\Silent Hunter Submarine Games\Silent Hunter - U boat missions.
I also have Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific 1.4 installed on the same external drive.

I would say the biggest problem is the Administrative rights that Windows 7 has. That is why I turned it off.

Microsoft does not recommend turning UAC off.

cgkstealth
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I've got to agree with Yooper about turning off UAC. In my opinion that should be anyone's first step when first using Windows 7 even though (like Yooper said) Microsoft doesn't recommend it.

As far as installing in 7, I installed the game (as I do all my games) into a separate folder on my C: drive.

First thing I did was make a folder on my C: drive, I named this folder "Installed Programs." In this folder I made another folder named "Games." That, as I'm sure you can guess, is where I install my games to. Then, when installing a particular game I make a folder in my "Games" folder that is named after the particular game. I then install the game into the properly named folder.

So, for example, my SH4 install path looks like this:

C:\Installed Programs\Games\Silent Hunter 4 Main Install\Silent Hunter 4

P.S.
Actually, I haven't installed anything into the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders since the system was new. I install all programs into an appropriately named folder in "Installed Programs" (i.e. I would install Google Chrome into a folder named "Chrome Install" in my "Installed Programs" folder) and install all games into my "Games" folder.
The only things I knowingly put into the "Program Files" folders are important things like drivers and my security suite.
I realize it's a weird way of doing things, but it works for me.