PDA

View Full Version : Yak-3 RPM Gauge and Overheating Question

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 04:12 PM
In the Yak-3 I believe the RPM gauge is in the lower center behind the stick. Is this correct?

If so, odd place to put such an important gauge since you have to move the stick out of the way. It is also a smaller gauge.

Also, at a 100% throttle with the radiator closed, is the theory that as long as I travel at the "Best Cruise" RPM that my engine(s) will not overheat (assuming I am flying level), or will engines eventually overhead regardless?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Best regards.

Message Edited on 10/29/0312:56PM by TacticalSkirmsh

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 04:12 PM
In the Yak-3 I believe the RPM gauge is in the lower center behind the stick. Is this correct?

If so, odd place to put such an important gauge since you have to move the stick out of the way. It is also a smaller gauge.

Also, at a 100% throttle with the radiator closed, is the theory that as long as I travel at the "Best Cruise" RPM that my engine(s) will not overheat (assuming I am flying level), or will engines eventually overhead regardless?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Best regards.

Message Edited on 10/29/0312:56PM by TacticalSkirmsh

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 07:16 PM
TacticalSkirmsh wrote:
-
- Also, at a 100% throttle with the radiator closed,
- is the theory that as long as I travel at the "Best
- Cruise" RPM that my engine(s) will not overheat
- (assuming I am flying level), or will engines
- eventually overhead regardless?
-
- Thanks for your response in advance.
-

You'll overheat. 100% throttle will require a lot of pitch to get RPM's down to acceptable level. This puts more load on the engine. More load = more friction = more heat.

You'll be flying darned fast though!

I'm not familiar with the Yak-3, but you'll probably find yourself cruising at 50% throttle and 75-80% pitch.

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>