PDA

View Full Version : VIIC/41 or a XXI?

S VIIC_41
04-02-2005, 06:40 AM
I like Type VIIs, they have good enough speed, enough torpedoes and not enough range to be sent patrolling off the coast of Africa (which makes me not want to get a Type IX...).

I have a VIIB now and there seems to be no point in getting a VIIC but when the VIIC/41 comes around I think it's time to change. However, what are the XXI's advantages and disadvantages over a VIIC/41?

It has more depth, more torps (though according the manual the reloads ALL seem to be external... which could be problematic) a little less speed but 5 frontal tubes. Though that means it has no aft tubes... I like my aft tube...

What do people who've used both a Type VII and a Type XXI think?

S VIIC_41
04-02-2005, 06:40 AM
I like Type VIIs, they have good enough speed, enough torpedoes and not enough range to be sent patrolling off the coast of Africa (which makes me not want to get a Type IX...).

I have a VIIB now and there seems to be no point in getting a VIIC but when the VIIC/41 comes around I think it's time to change. However, what are the XXI's advantages and disadvantages over a VIIC/41?

It has more depth, more torps (though according the manual the reloads ALL seem to be external... which could be problematic) a little less speed but 5 frontal tubes. Though that means it has no aft tubes... I like my aft tube...

What do people who've used both a Type VII and a Type XXI think?

DaWizeGuy
04-02-2005, 07:13 AM
XXI advantages:

1. Higher submerged speed, faster than most Allied ships which is essential in 1944-45.
2. Much faster torpedo reload
3. Six torpedo tubes
4. Better sonar which makes submerged torpedo attacks easier

quillan
04-02-2005, 07:56 AM
The type XXI is faster underwater than it is on the surface. It can stay underwater for several days at a time. The submerged endurance is over 300 nautical miles, compared to 90 for the VIIB, 80 for the VIIC variants, and 60 or so for the IXs. The XXI has 6 front tubes, and no rear ones. In real life, the XXI had a hydraulic reload mechanism that could fully reload all 6 tubes in 10 minutes total, though I'm not sure this is accurately modeled in the game. It could also generate a firing solution stricly from sonar. While I think the Niebelung sonar is available as an upgrade for the other subs, it is standard on the XXI. I'm nowhere close to 1944 yet, so I haven't had the chance to try it out.

msxyz
04-02-2005, 07:58 AM
...better accomodations for the crew http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No more "pig-boats": shower, air conditioning, refrigerators and a bunk for everyone.

Make your crew happy: apply for a transfer to a type XXI today! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif