PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane help

Sniper62_267
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Can someone please tell me what are the differnces are between the three model of the Hurricanes. Also are they concerned early warbirds or late? Also need to find the needed program that would allow me to compare planes. If someone can provide a link would be nice. I hope that the search engine becomes useful so that a newbee wouldn't need to ask silly questions that have been covered numerous times.

Thanks

Sniper62_267
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Can someone please tell me what are the differnces are between the three model of the Hurricanes. Also are they concerned early warbirds or late? Also need to find the needed program that would allow me to compare planes. If someone can provide a link would be nice. I hope that the search engine becomes useful so that a newbee wouldn't need to ask silly questions that have been covered numerous times.

Thanks

OldPepper
03-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Hurricanes are considered early warplanes.

The Differences between the models generally applies to weapons and to a lesser degree engine power.

The MkI and MkIIb have .303 mguns (difficult to take down He111s with these). The Field Mod has canon and MG (IIRC) and the 'C' model has 4 canon (and very little ammo.)

For comparing planes I like IL2 Wingman. I forget where I DL'd it though. I'd like the link again myself.

AWL_Spinner
03-30-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm sure some more knowledgable people will chip in soon enough, very briefly:

Hurricane Mk.1

Eight gun fighter (8 x .303) used extensively by the British during the Battle of Britain. Certainly an early war aircraft, 1938-1941. Early carb-fed Merlin prone to negative-G cutout. Slow but a nice turner, nice plane to train in and great visibility.

You mention three versions - if you've not seen this one it's actually listed under the Axis aircraft section due to it's service with (I think) the Finns.

Hurricane Field Mod

Russian version, don't know much about it. Think it has a couple of ShVak cannon and 4 MG's but I can't be bothered to Google. Better Merlin engine, better performance without negative-G worries.

Hurricane IIB

12 x.303 version. The better engine. Still early war.

Hurricane IIC

Badass Hurri with the better Merlin and four Hispano cannon. Kinda 1942 timeframe. Still easy meat for late war fighters and anything with a bit of speed. Unless you get in front of it without any energy, in which case you'll be landing by parachute.

Von_Zero
03-30-2005, 08:06 AM
the field mod is a russian ground attack modification with 2 20mm ShVak cannons and 2 12.7mm UBS mg.
The Hurri MkI was in sevice of both Finland and Romania. (it might have also serviced russia, but i don't know for sure).

F19_Olli72
03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Also MkIIb is the only Hurri that can carry bombs.

Friendly_flyer
03-30-2005, 08:49 AM
The four-cannon Hurricane IIc is primarily a groundponder. You can think of it as sort of a "Sturmovik light". It's really a delightful plane to fly, and groundpounding is barrels of fun.

There is an entertaining "mini-campaign" by Pyomando called Fleet Air Arm that let you fly the early and late version of Hurricanes. Highly recommended!