PDA

View Full Version : Judging speed - and speed questions

flyinj
03-19-2005, 01:41 AM
How long should I let the stopwatch run when calculating speed? I read in another thread that letting it run 30-40 seconds is the best...

Does it depend on the distance of the ship?

I've also found it IMPOSSIBLE to get correct speed readings when a ship is facing towards me or away from me at a 5-20 degree angle. It always reports the speed as too high.

Also, is there ever an instance when a ship's speed is higher than it's recog guide listed speed? For instance, if I see a ship that's recog guide says it should be 9 kts and I read 13, is that ever possible? I'd end up with this 13kt figure after 3 retries... and I'm sure I had the right boat IDed.

flyinj
03-19-2005, 01:41 AM
How long should I let the stopwatch run when calculating speed? I read in another thread that letting it run 30-40 seconds is the best...

Does it depend on the distance of the ship?

I've also found it IMPOSSIBLE to get correct speed readings when a ship is facing towards me or away from me at a 5-20 degree angle. It always reports the speed as too high.

Also, is there ever an instance when a ship's speed is higher than it's recog guide listed speed? For instance, if I see a ship that's recog guide says it should be 9 kts and I read 13, is that ever possible? I'd end up with this 13kt figure after 3 retries... and I'm sure I had the right boat IDed.