PDA

View Full Version : As a fighter pilot in WW2....would you survive??

MB_Avro_UK
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
hi all,

Just a thought...no refly button..

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

MB_Avro_UK
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
hi all,

Just a thought...no refly button..

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Feathered_IV
06-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Maybe a few sorties. But ultimately, no http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

danjama
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmmm, i'm not sure it's possible to calculate such a thing. Not even a guess would be close to the truth.

I like to think i'd survive, as i'm a pretty good pilot online, but then again, i also have bad days. But i dont think its fair to go by this game. Real life is a whole other game, where psychological is as important as physical, and luck is a big a part as actual factors.

Brain32
06-15-2006, 06:13 PM
If we put the luck factor aside, then yes I strongly believe I would survive...

WWMaxGunz
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I'd never have passed the eye test.

TheCrux
06-15-2006, 07:26 PM
For a while......and I may rack up a few victories, but I believe I'd most likely die sooner or later in a mid-air collision ( enemy A/C )

leitmotiv
06-15-2006, 07:41 PM
That's a good one. Depends on lady luck---even if you are really good. As an American who was wild and crazy even into his thirties and who threw caution to the wind over and over and used up enough luck for sixty people---maybe I'd have made it.

Spinnetti
06-15-2006, 07:53 PM
No, I wouldn't last long.. I could yank and bank with the best of them, and as my wild Pitts special ride showed, Gees don't faze me, but my situational awareness is terrible!

Sad truth about most encounters was that it was mostly hours of freezing tedium, followed by a few seconds of terror with somebody getting shot out of the air without ever knowing somebody was back there.

FlatSpinMan
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't think so. It's the Hun you don't see that gets you.

PBNA-Boosher
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Honestly, I think I might have a slight chance, and not because I'm particularly skillful, because I'm not.
If I did manage to pass fighter school I would be able to pick from a list of planes which one I would want to fly. If the USAAC could, at the time, honor those requests, they would. They asked for the top 3 planes you wanted to fly. I probably would have chosen, say about 1942:
1. P-38
2. P-40
3. P-39

Of course, there are many obstacles in every situation, and randomness plays a big role. And, as a P-38 pilot, if I was awarded my first choice, I would probably be participating in the raid on Ploesti, making my chances not very good. But at the same time I'm flying with people like Jack Lowell, people who knew how to handle their planes. I'd be able to build experience with them.

Jaws2002
06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I'd probably mess up my first landing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LStarosta
06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes.

fordfan25
06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
yep. because id be sitting in jail for telln the recruiter to kiss my a$$. im scared of hights and there is to much walking in the army. now ill supervise the nurse's if that will help http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Sillius_Sodus
06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
If you encountered enemy fighters every time you went up and you never tried to evade them no matter what the odds, plus the flak, probably not.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Esel1964
06-15-2006, 09:56 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif...asleep, belly up, bloodless, blooey, breathless, buried, cadaverous, checked out, cold, cut off, deceased, defunct, departed, done for, erased, expired, extinct, gone, inanimate, inert, late, lifeless, liquidated, mortified, no more, not existing, offed, passed away, perished, reposing, rubbed out, snuffed out, spiritless, stiff, unanimated, washed up, wasted... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

horseback
06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Assuming that I was still in my early twenties and had the required schooling, I'm pretty sure that I'd physically qualify, and that I'd manage to successfully complete the training (hopefully well enough to avoid bombers and transports and not so well that I'd get snagged for instructor duty).

If I saw combat, I doubt that I'd be an ace. Luck has never been one of my strong points, so even surviving combat would be a major accomplishment. Unfortunately, for every combat casualty, there were two or three 'operational' losses...and that would just be embarassing.

Okay, now I've had to think about it seriously, and pphfft! - there went the fantasy.

Thanks a lot, Avro.

cheers

horseback

AKA_TAGERT
06-15-2006, 10:18 PM
I know I would because..
http://www.geocities.com/grantsenn/STFU/idoallmyownstunts.jpg

LEBillfish
06-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Absolutly I would because..........

K2: I want to enlist in the Army Air Corps as a fighter pilot!
Recruiter: Uhhhh yea.....Try the WAC's....or go home and make dinner.
K2: Ok fine......Chip beef on toast MMmmmmmm....

Yep, wars are started by women up till this equal rights in the military bunk........Be Sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

leitmotiv
06-15-2006, 11:13 PM
If you had been Russian and been a member of a Comosol flight club, you'd have had a shot at becoming a Hero of the Soviet Union, LEBillfish. Had they given you a Po-2 and told you to bomb the HQ of Army Group Center, well....

HotelBushranger
06-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Let's be honest guys, most of us wouldn't have survived. Take into consideration, the moment you got into combat you would be versing guys with hundreds of hours on their kite, real trained professionals. I'd bet 99/100 of people here would a) not even see him, or b) see him and pull the stick back continuously, too sh!tescared to even think of tactics. Most likely most would get shot down, or be lucky enough to bail and then become a POW.

Maybe there should be a second thread: "As a bomber pilot in WW2....would you survive?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Bearcat99
06-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Thats a hard one for me.... I dont know. In my twenties I was certainly fit enough... and I had the love of flight going on..... hard to say.

Dew_Claw
06-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Of course I would survive.
I'd be the terror of the sky's hitting all targets with the 1st round...head shot everytime.
dozons of kills each time I took to the air.....
at least until the alarm clock goes off.

rnzoli
06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I would have most probably survived.
Being always cautious, I would have probably bailed after the first bullets hit my aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
No hero, years as POW in Germany, or Russia, USA or Japan... but alive and kicking http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

civildog
06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Heck yeah I'd survive - because I have a cunning plan.

During the opening months of the war I'd fly LW so I wouldn't have to risk flaming death in an I-16, and could shoot up endless clunky Russkie planes then run away with impunity in my 109. If things got too hot, though, I would bail out over Red lines and grab my trusty Cobras and Yaks to beat on those early Gustavs, not to mention those fat juicy Stukas.

Around 44...hmmmm.
I'd first survey all the Allied and Axis bases to see who's flying what. And then I'd only pick LW planes if I could have my pick of the late-war FW's, otherwise I'd probably whine about the unrealistic compression on the 109 control surfaces at high speed and the less than atomic bomb destructive capabilities of the nose cannons until I got my way and the designers uber'd up the Messerschmidts. If the designers balked at my requests then I'd pummel them with all the books I'd read, and movies I'd seen that show why I should be able to single-handedly out-fly and out-shoot every Allied plane in the inventory while drinking hot chocolate and eating Mamma's strudel in the cockpit. "I haff vays of making you recode...ach!, redesign my plane..."

Then I'd refuse to fly for the LW once the Lavochkin FN series got into the air in enough numbers to be a threat. I'd switch sides to fly those nasty La-5FN's until more Anton -8s where available, then go fly for the LW again. Maybe even whine enough about those gunboats that the Wurgerwerkers would crank out a sturmbock Anton just for me so I'd feel safer in the unfriendly skies that would start filling with Spitfires and Mustangs. OOO...2 30mm's and 2 20mm's and enough armor to cover a Tiger tank - it gets me all warm inside thinking about that.

So, after that I dunno. Maybe I'd then switch to the VVS again for the Yak-3 and La-7, or maybe just settle for a Spitfire and ride out the derision of my former LW squadmates who would be making fun of me as "Look at der Ubernoob in his fancy girly-Fire uberflieger!" while coasting till then end of the war.

slipBall
06-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Of course I would survive, God is my co-pilot

Il2pelaaja
06-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Of course I ‚¬īd like to think that I would survive.

I was listening a real fighter pilot, G√ľnther Rall, a few weeks ago, when he visited Finland for the second time. It was really interesting to listen to him talking about his experiences, he has 275 victories, most of them fighter planes, so he must know what he is talking about. I would say that to survive a pilot must be very very good fighter pilot and have the right attitude, never give up and a lot of good luck!

Here is a link to G√ľnther Rall‚¬īs earlier visit to Finland (in 2003):

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/feature/photoreports/guntherrall2003/

In that visit: "His answer to the question that what was the most important thing a fighter pilot must possess is discipline of his actions in the air and knowing the limits of his plane"

PikeBishop
06-16-2006, 03:16 AM
NO! NO! and......NO! too old, slow and dim.
regards,
SLP

PikeBishop
06-16-2006, 03:47 AM
I just started thinking for a moment how this game just brings it home to you about being a beginner and surviving long enough to become a veteran. I remember flying with a beginner and preparing to attack.....I looked behind me to see him dropping back and called "You must keep up with me!".....and instantly recalled that part of the movie of BoB with the 2 new recruits following the veteran pilot.......they both got shot down soon after. A few seconds later I saw him faffing around on his own, circling, looking for something to shoot at...(so he was saying) while I was locked in combat with a 109. I looked again and saw a plummeting flaming wreck falling with a 109 swooping upwards and away. A voice said "Oh!....I'm dead.
That's about the size of it!
Best regards,
SLP

cmw1980
06-16-2006, 03:50 AM
I'd rather drive a tank - not that I like them much, but my grandfather made it sound like so much fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
Of course there were the bad days too, but on the whole he made it sound very exciting.

stathem
06-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Bearing in mind my nationality, intelligence, education, social class, love of technology, love of maps, and less than perfect vision (one dodgy eye) I'd have undoubtedly been a Navigator.

Probably on Lancs, in which case no.

Hopefully on Nightfighters, in which case yes.

Fox_3
06-16-2006, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't be a pilot. I would have followed family tradition and joined the army.

WOLFMondo
06-16-2006, 04:38 AM
I think it would depend on who's airforce I flew for. If it was the USAAF then probably yes, 25-30 missions as a pilot then back home, easier than repeated tours in the RAF, VVS or Luftwaffe. At least in the RAF they'd ground you for stress, I don't think they were so kind in the VVS or Luftwaffle. I would have hated to be a Japanese pilot.

Looking at those pilots who survived 300-400+ sorties they were all tremendously lucky as well as skillful.

whiteladder
06-16-2006, 04:39 AM
I get sick on roller coasters, I`m short sighted, and WW2 fighters weren`t designed for the fuller figure....

oh and I`m a physical coward!!

You decide.

Talamir
06-16-2006, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
I'd never have passed the eye test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats make's two of us. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F0_Dark_P
06-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Hehe whiteladder

on topic, with my experiance from il2 hell yeah http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif , but without... dont think so, not for long anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
06-16-2006, 06:31 AM
no telling

Grendel-B
06-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Impossible to answer.

It would depend... When you was born, how fit you was physically, when you got into air force, what nationality you would have been, what kind of training you got, how good was your primary teacher, to which squadron you would be assigned, how good your FL was, how well you was taught in the squadron, when you got into combat (in good times, or in bad times), what kind of losses your country was taking, what plane you flew, what opposition, which front you flew at?

Impossible question.

Worf101
06-16-2006, 07:15 AM
If I were flying during WW2 and was the same person I am now... I might have survived. I'd have gone to England early on fought with the Brits till America entered the war... After that I'd have gone to Tuskegee to train other pilots. For a long time my own country wouldn't let me fight so I guess if I survived my tour with the Brits I'd survive the war.

Da Worfster

Lucius_Esox
06-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Depends how lucky I was... Large bad dose by being there in the first place.

If all who have played this sim from the first had logged as many hours in real life before they saw combat,,, help the odds for sure In the game of Russian roulette that is war, ok so you got 9 chambers instead of 6 with one bullet in em http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

What about the stray flak burst? Stray bullet evenhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Mechanical troubles, weather, Oxygen pipe splitting...

The list is endless and if you noticed I didn't even put in enemy fighters..

Crystal Ball anyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sordid_Sinister
06-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Frankly, I don't know. The absence of the refly button would most certainly make a huge psychological impact, so I think I'd fly very, very cautiously and certainly wouldn't charge right into the fray as I do in the game. Still, so have all the guys who died, so you never know.

Blood_Splat
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
I probably would have been shot down over Germany captured by the waffen SS and executed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bo_Nidle
06-16-2006, 07:49 AM
I'd probably fall off the jeep on the way to the flightline on my first mission!

Breeze147
06-16-2006, 08:13 AM
I would have managed to take off, got yelled at all the way for not keeping up with formation, drop my ordnance more or less on target, sucessfully run away from any enemy fighters, then blow the landing and be seen running away from my plane, whose nose is firmly planted in terra firma.

The Wing Commander, watching from the tower, would turn to the XO and say, "Barnes, I believe we have a new Mess Officer".

I_KG100_Prien
06-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I will not say yes or no. I would have to say "We'd have to find out eh?"

Little food for thought for this overall silly thread...

Every Soldier, Airman, Sailor and Marine went to war thinking "I'm going to make it through this alive! I'm tough! I've got the training!"

However we all know the grim reality of it.. Not all make it back and if you think about it, if you live or die in armed conflict irregardless of your training or skill level is totally random chance. All about being or not being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, the only truthful answer any of us could provide to this question is "Maybe"

Slickun
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
No.

justflyin
06-16-2006, 10:59 AM
I can honestly say that no one can account for that one stray bullet or flak explosion, so saying anyone would survive is a guesstimate at best, but one thing I'm sure of...

I would have been very well-prepared, as I would have attempted to exceed my training through extra studying and use of my free time, and I would have been ready, willing and able to execute my orders.

The same abilities that made Aces in WWII, makes for a good online pilot. Gunnery, situational awareness and training, training, training. The most dangerous foes are those that NEVER, EVER leave their wingman or stray from the plan, unless the plan has to change.

The overall outcome is all that would have mattered to me and I would have made sure of one thing, I would always have put the mission objectives ahead of my own survival and I would have died, if need be, to protect my wingman or another in my flight.

Friendly_flyer
06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Today I'd be too old to fly combat missions, but when I was in my mid-20ies I could quite possibly get a fighter aircraft in the air with some consistency.

Being a Norwegian, I would statistically have a good chance of surviving the war. The Norwegians had Gladiators, and only a few was killed in the only real air battle between Norwegians and invading Germans. The rest landed their badly mauled machines in fields and on frozen lakes, most just went home, there was no air-force with which to fight on.

Some fled occupied Norway and flew, most with the RAF. Two fighters squadron (331 and 332, flying Spitfires) was erected and the Norwegian squadrons were among the best RAF had throughout the war. They had relatively little losses to accidents and bad weather. With good leaders and skilled maintenance crew (the ground crew was a bit of a legend in the RAF) I would statistically have had reasonable chances of surviving the war, about 60%.

I might even have gotten a few kills. Nothing spectacular, perhaps a single enemy airplane that haven't spotted me, perhaps finishing off a plane as a wing man, sharing a kill. I have never been the type to take chances.

Abbuzze
06-16-2006, 11:18 AM
It needs much skill and even more luck to survive. So I would say - no.

faustnik
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
If I was assigned to fly a P-47,...maybe... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Mysticpuma2003
06-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Good question.

If I could get the cockpit laid out with an X-52 and CH pro pedals, an LCD monitor to view the dots on the horizon with.....maybe!

Seriously though, we would all like to imagine that we would be the Ace that all would aspire to, I know that I wouldn't be as reckless in my dogfighting when chasing a plane down low. Also my buddies would be on comms (playing Blue on WC and just three out of the whole Blue side on comms!) so we could plan atack and call for cover.

I think next time I go on Warclouds I may just try and fly with the attitude that this is my only life and see if I can Psyche myself into the " only have one life" scenario.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Cheers for the thought provoking question, MP.

Eagle_361st
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Surviving combat of any kind encompasses not only skill, training, determination, but also luck. Being the best does ensure survival, sometimes good old fashioned luck plays a larger part I know from personal experience.

BaronUnderpants
06-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Proppably not. I think i would have survived long enough to do some missions, but failing to hit anything...exept air.

why i wouldnt survive? There are so many ways a pilot could die from exept combat, and i most lightly would have gone out in one of thoose ways...like gettting shot down, manage to bail....in to water...and drown or faild landing after a training session or flying into a mountain at/in night/bad weather.

Not very glamorous....more like reality. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Warrington_Wolf
06-16-2006, 02:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Esel1964:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif...asleep, belly up, bloodless, blooey, breathless, buried, cadaverous, checked out, cold, cut off, deceased, defunct, departed, done for, erased, expired, extinct, gone, inanimate, inert, late, lifeless, liquidated, mortified, no more, not existing, offed, passed away, perished, reposing, rubbed out, snuffed out, spiritless, stiff, unanimated, washed up, wasted... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot "Brown bread" , bought it, gone for a burton, gone in the drink and wearing a wooden overcoat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

F6_Ace
06-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I'd have signed up for the Luftwaffe and been killed ferrying some lobster or champagne or something. Like a proper hero.

Much better than living on a slice of bacon as thin as a hair and powdered eggs then getting bagged with a 20mm round to the eye socket.

Warrington_Wolf
06-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Actually upon reading this post it did get me thinking about it. When I went for my trial flying lesson earlier this month, I could understand what the instruments were telling me. I was also ahead of the instructor when he was explaining the axes of flight and how to control the plane, BUT I was completely caught off guard by the feeling of enertia and movement. Such things as slight turns and changes in pitch were harder than in front of a computer screen, because of the feeling of movement. Turbulance and wind gusts also caught me out a bit.

What I am trying to say is that despite that I flew the plane OK, I was nowhere near as proficient as I am on a computer because I wasnt used to the movement of the plane. Even though I was up for only 1 hour it taught me that even basic flying is harder than on a screen, so I probably wouldnt last long with my present flight experience (im hoping to rectify that).
The whole experience did however give me a whole new respect for pilots of ALL sides of the confict, because they could throw their machines about like they did and fight in them.

BSS_CUDA
06-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I would like to think I would. of course given my choice it would be a P-38 in the Pacific. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

mandrill7
06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Depends who I was flying for and when. A US pilot flying in late '44 or '45 would have a statistically very good chance of surviving the War due to short tours of duty and little effective opposition.

OTOH an IJA flier in New Guinea or a VVS Il-2 flyer in mid-war would almost certainly be killed.

MB_Avro_UK
06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warrington_Wolf:
Actually upon reading this post it did get me thinking about it. When I went for my trial flying lesson earlier this month, I could understand what the instruments were telling me. I was also ahead of the instructor when he was explaining the axes of flight and how to control the plane, BUT I was completely caught off guard by the feeling of enertia and movement. Such things as slight turns and changes in pitch were harder than in front of a computer screen, because of the feeling of movement. Turbulance and wind gusts also caught me out a bit.

What I am trying to say is that despite that I flew the plane OK, I was nowhere near as proficient as I am on a computer because I wasnt used to the movement of the plane. Even though I was up for only 1 hour it taught me that even basic flying is harder than on a screen, so I probably wouldnt last long with my present flight experience (im hoping to rectify that).
The whole experience did however give me a whole new respect for pilots of ALL sides of the confict, because they could throw their machines about like they did and fight in them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice Post,

Many years ago I was in the same situation.

It has been said that when you take off you loose 50% of your brain.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

slipBall
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
That is the major thing that we are missing in this sim. The rattles, the buffeting feelings, that up/down office elevator feel from thermal forces. Can only get so much realisum from a pc

BOA_Allmenroder
06-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Are we talking about the real WW2 air war or the 1C Oleg Maddox version?

Ishmael932
06-16-2006, 06:48 PM
According to a psychic my wife knows, I didn't. She told my wife that I was a p-47 pilot in my last life and was shot down over Germany. Maybe that's why I went to sea in this life.

tagTaken2
06-16-2006, 11:34 PM
All it comes down to is luck.

Being careful/skilful/in uberplane/flying milk runs doesn't make any difference. If you're unlucky, you're going down.

As for me, probably not. I'm pretty careless http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif