PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 1946 4.09 Hangsup often

fknox
04-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Gentlemen,
I have IL-2 up to 4.09. I use Track IR5, San's FOV Changer RC and A TH2go. The experience is great. But now when I get into a single mission and into a heated dogfight, my system frezzes and I have to end the program in the task manager. It's happening every time. I have read endless forums and postings till I'm bleary eyed and woozy. I'm sure thre's a thread somewhere to help me but I can't seem to find it. Any help to point me in a direction would be appeciated. My system is not the hottest but it works. I bought IL-2 1946 because of my system as Birds of Prey was way to much for it to handle. Pent4 2.8ghz, 1 gig Ram, Geforce 9400 GT w/ 512mb in a standard PCI slot, TH2go with 3 17" LCD. Thanks for any suggestions.
By the way, any point to getting UP 2.0 for OFFLINE flying? Will it improve graphics, performance, or anything else, or is it pretty much for flying online? Again, Thanks

JtD
04-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Your system is better than mine and it runs without problems here. So the hardware as such should not be the problem.

Welcome to the forum.

DuckyFluff
04-17-2010, 11:05 AM
That system should run 46 fine aprt from the RAM 1g in this day and age is way too little, get 2gb at least, preferably four or more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BillSwagger
04-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I think the game itself uses nearly a gig of ram on my machine.

You might see if it runs ok with out all the bells and whistles to rule out any software problems with in the game, but i'm certain its you need more ram.

A 1 gig stick is less than 20 bucks last i saw, so you might consider more if your machine has the room.

Bill

K_Freddie
04-17-2010, 04:58 PM
I use Track IR5, San's FOV Changer RC and A TH2go
I have a similar system and 1G ram with no problems.. (I only use Intel motherboards).
If not the mobo, then it's linked to the items in the above quote. Try removing them one at a time to see what happens.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

K_Freddie
04-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by fknox:
By the way, any point to getting UP 2.0 for OFFLINE flying? Will it improve graphics, performance, or anything else, or is it pretty much for flying online? Again, Thanks
the problem with mods online is that they change like the wind and not all are ok. finding a consistent server can be a 'mission' on it's own.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

fknox
04-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Gents,
What a nood I am. I just installed all this stuff back in Jan/Feb including the vid card. But I updated my video drivers again and poof, no more hangups. An occasional stutter but not bad. And yes, I should go to 2 gig. Went from 1/2 to 1 gig when I put in the card. Stupid cheapskate I am. You should always max out the ram when you upgrade. Saving $40.00 compromises the maximum sim experience.
I'm still wondering about UP 2.0. Does it improve the game or just make online playing possible? I do want to combat online but I'm a long ways away from that. Thanks,

Insuber
04-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi and welcome,

If you go to mods you'd best have a copy of a clean install, it will become handy. Mods can coexist with the stock 4.09m, in two different folders. In the UP package you'll find a switcher that can produce as many copies as you want of your Il2 1946 folder.
The same switcher will allow you to run either the modded version or the stock 4.09m, after launching the hyperlobby.

Regards,
Insuber

fknox
04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Insuber and all,
I have done the preps for UP. But does it actually improve anything? Are there better textures or does performance improve? It's going to be quite some time before I join online combat. So is there a benefit to a Mod Pack besides flying online? Thanks for anybodies input.

JtD
04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd recommend to stick with the official patches. Mods usually offer "more", which doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Make sure you get the 4.09 skin pack, though. Plenty of nice new standard skins.

lokitexas
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes, up does have texture mods and other visual bells and whistels.

Since you can switch back to stock, there is no reaon not to have it imo.

Ba5tard5word
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
UP 2.0 REALLY improves the graphics, the ground textures and planes look so much sharper, it's like bumping up to a higher resolution. However it makes the game into more of a performance hog, it might run pretty poorly on your machine. Maybe give it a try and see how it runs.

BillSwagger
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Mods for offline use are fine, and you do get much more with UP than with the vanilla install. Aside from dozens of more planes, I would say the MDF mod lets you build or use missions capable of a few more features that add to the depth of the game.

Most people would agree that the 6Dof mod is an essential part of the experience for the game, and that improved sounds from the sound mods also add to the continuity and experience of the game.
The detailed textures and more elaborate effects is a bonus too, but whether it improves the quality of the performance probably has more to do with the system specs of your computer.
Its a free add on so you really can't lose, so you could just see how it runs on your system.

Playing online with mods seems to hamper my experience more so than trying to play offline, especially on servers with more objects and heavier texture settings. Both are manageable but since i get a about 20-30 more frames out of my puny video card using the vanilla install, that tends to be what i stick with for online use.

I'm sure people with more capable and up to date systems could give you a better idea of performance improvements using the mods.

Bill