PDA

View Full Version : What are Magneto's good for when flying?

red99
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
While flying I always leave the magneto's at 2.5 and only use them to kill the engine by swithing them off (rather than just hitting the "engine off" key). The only thing I notice they do is lower engine power if I decrease magneto's in flight which I find no reason for.

So is there something I'm missing in regards to our control over the magneto's?

red99
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
While flying I always leave the magneto's at 2.5 and only use them to kill the engine by swithing them off (rather than just hitting the "engine off" key). The only thing I notice they do is lower engine power if I decrease magneto's in flight which I find no reason for.

So is there something I'm missing in regards to our control over the magneto's?

xTHRUDx
02-16-2006, 11:18 PM
think of the mags as spark plugs for the cylinders. Each cylinder has 2 mags (spark plugs for easy explaining). they use 2 for safety. engine can run on 1 mag but more power (spark) from both.

just hit the button you have mapped for engine ignition and ignore the mags altogether. in fact, if you have keys bound for mags, i suggest unbinding them and save those keys for a command more useful in the game (gunners pos. etc.)

Tipo_Man
02-17-2006, 02:01 AM
In the rare case when you have your thottle control damaged and set to max power, it can be quite a fun trying to land your plane.

Usually I set mixture to 20%, propeller pitch to 20%, and turn off and on engine with the magneto's. It can be a real challange to land on a carrier this way...

WWSensei
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
On a couple of rare occasions when my engine has been knocked out I've been able to restart on 1 mag when being on 2 would not. My very uninformed guess would be that the mags can be damaged...

AustinPowers_
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWSensei:
On a couple of rare occasions when my engine has been knocked out I've been able to restart on 1 mag when being on 2 would not. My very uninformed guess would be that the mags can be damaged... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

zomg that's news to me.

Chuck_Older
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Actaully, I think of the spark plugs as plugs for the cylinders http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't beleive that an 18 cylinder radial has 36 mags, Thrud

I think it has two http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I know what you mean, BTW, it's just not a good analogy.

Aircraft have a redundancy of systems. The mag means you don't have to carry a battery, like in your car. Actually, I could put magnetos on my muscle car, it's all set up for it, but in a street car it's a pain.

Viper2005_
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
you lose power when running on one mag because you're only using one set of spark plugs; thus the flame front has further to travel, combustion takes longer and the effect on power is akin to ******ing your spark timing.

In addition, at high boost settings this gives more time for autoignition chemistry to do its thing and so you're more likely to suffer from nasty stuff such as detonation...

Willey
02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
These buttons would be useful if the I key could not shut down the engine and if the mags were set to 0 initially...

The-Pizza-Man
02-17-2006, 06:13 PM
This is a good explaination of what they are and what they do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneto

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Usually I set mixture to 20%, propeller pitch to 20%, and turn off and on engine with the magneto's. It can be a real challange to land on a carrier this way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not the best thing to do to your engine. Your running low RPM, high boost with a lean mixture, that is just asking for engine failure. I really wish this sim modeled what bad handling of your engine does.

vocatx
02-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Willey, read Sensei's post above. He's absolutely on target. Having mags mapped has saved my virtual butt on more than one occassion

WWMaxGunz
02-17-2006, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red99:

So is there something I'm missing in regards to our control over the magneto's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should be paying attention to magneto setting? We can SET the magnetos, not just on/off?
Cripes I need a manual!

Chuck, don't forget the alternator! Had a young friend who'se regulator quit and he couldn't
understand why the headlights kept getting dimmer even after the battery quit. English major
learning to drive stick, took forever to get him to realize what a tach was for and I was
sure one time he was gonna blow the engine. Good thing that Bug engines like to run fast!

volkware.xyz
02-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Smashing other planes into each other, and thwarting the plans of Professor Xavier, I think.

stansdds
02-18-2006, 03:54 AM
The magneto is not a spark plug, it generates the electricity that is sent to the spark plugs.

Chuck_Older
02-18-2006, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red99:

So is there something I'm missing in regards to our control over the magneto's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We should be paying attention to magneto setting? We can SET the magnetos, not just on/off?
Cripes I need a manual!

Chuck, don't forget the alternator! Had a young friend who'se regulator quit and he couldn't
understand why the headlights kept getting dimmer even after the battery quit. English major
learning to drive stick, took forever to get him to realize what a tach was for and I was
sure one time he was gonna blow the engine. Good thing that Bug engines like to run fast! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Folks who don't know that the howling-banshee under-the-hood noise is not good shouldn't be near cars. I know a guy, good guy too, but dumb about anything mechanical, that was adding coolant to his master cylinder. Swear to Christ, true story. New car, too. not only did he think he was overheating (Um...did you see any steam? "No". Was the temp gauge in the red "No"), but he had a leaky brake line and didn't know it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif. So he thought that the low fluid was coolant. He didn't notice the brakes were just about non-existent at all. I've never, ever been in a car with him, and I never will be

WWMaxGunz
02-18-2006, 07:25 AM
I think that's why it's harder and harder to find a mass produced car with manual tranny.

In Canada it is law that cars always have the headlights on. Should be here in the US too.
I swear, I've come up on the back of State Police with no lights on at all in poor visibilty
conditions, light rain and road dirt being whipped up all over. That's against the law and
yet Mr. Statie was running dark!

By my lights, over half the people driving would not be able to pass the drivers tests.
Not in the USA at least. No way.

stansdds
02-18-2006, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
I think that's why it's harder and harder to find a mass produced car with manual tranny.

In Canada it is law that cars always have the headlights on. Should be here in the US too.
I swear, I've come up on the back of State Police with no lights on at all in poor visibilty
conditions, light rain and road dirt being whipped up all over. That's against the law and
yet Mr. Statie was running dark!

By my lights, over half the people driving would not be able to pass the drivers tests.
Not in the USA at least. No way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree!!! Daytime running lights? Shouldn't be a need, just wire vehicles so that all the lights are on whenever the engine is running. I see way too many people, including the police, driving before dawn, after sunset or in foggy/rainy/snowy conditions and no lights. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

WWMaxGunz
02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
It's real scary when you're on a motorbike, the braindead's and idiots they let drive.