PDA

View Full Version : High Altitude FM and Blue Sky!

Blackdog5555
03-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Oleg has mentioned/stated that high altitude FM are not done or not done correctly in FB. My question is, will it be done correctly in BoB? Does anyone know what the story is? The (Jug was usually flown at 26-35 thousand feet, Ive read). And will we still have that wierd black/stary arctic sky @ 20,000ft? or will that be fixed too?

Blackdog5555
03-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Oleg has mentioned/stated that high altitude FM are not done or not done correctly in FB. My question is, will it be done correctly in BoB? Does anyone know what the story is? The (Jug was usually flown at 26-35 thousand feet, Ive read). And will we still have that wierd black/stary arctic sky @ 20,000ft? or will that be fixed too?

VW-IceFire
03-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Oleg has said that the FM is accurate upto 10,000m where I think it becomes much less accurate. When the engine was designed, it was designed for the player to fly one plane: the IL-2. I don't think the IL-2 even has an operational altitude that will alow it to operate at 10,000m.

Now its more important.

BoB being the massive rework from scratch for the purposes of a sim that will stretch a good portion of World War II will surely improve on this aspect and every other aspect. BoB has a much wider scope in mind...surely Oleg will be designing with the future in mind in ways that he had not anticipated in the past.

Bull_dog_
03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
There is no doubt that the FM will be improved in BoB...the only questions in my mind are what aspects will be improved and to what degree?

Since the new sim will be designed with a Stategic campaign in mind as well as expandability...I have no doubt that the FM will improve at high altitude; although I personally think it is pretty darn good now. I don't like the outerspace feeling I get when I get to high altitude...but for those who haven't considered this, I got a new computer with a Nividia 6800GT and replaced a Ti4600...besides the water, the A number 1 improvement is scenery lighting...everything is brighter. Landscape, cockpits, the sky...I can even fly at night and see the shadows of other aircraft reasonably well...I never knew how dark and gloomy the old card was.

An eye opener for sure

VW-IceFire
03-06-2005, 12:04 PM
No idea by how much. Oleg may not even know and they sure as heck aren't going to give away some of their closely guarded secrets for a game still well into development.

Developers/publishers always have to balance advertising features without giving them all away.

I'm confident that because of the shifted emphasis, the new engine will be better at everything and better in certain areas more specifically than before.

Badsight.
03-06-2005, 09:49 PM
ive only ever seen the word "Modeled" when the 10,000 m limit was mentioned , not "accurate"

as in the altitude modeling wasnt entirely accurate (& how couldd it ever be) but that it changed all the way up to 10,000 meters

but anyways , as it is some planes need CEM changes after 10K even , like at 11 or 12 K

IAFS_Painter
03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ive only ever seen the word "Modeled" when the 10,000 m limit was mentioned , not "accurate" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By definition, everything in any simulation is modeled.

BTW 10,000 m is about 33,000 ft

Choctaw111
03-07-2005, 05:54 AM
How about the ground features from that altitude? They are very washed out. Most of us has flown in jet liners that high and we all know what the ground features look like from that high as well as what the sky looks like. I would like to see attention paid to the ground from that high as well as the sky itself.

avimimus
03-07-2005, 07:08 AM
If you start at 10k in a fully-fuel B-1 you can, through carefull use of timing and the engine, skip up to 16-22kms.

Choctaw111
03-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I have tried this also in the Bi-1 and also the Me163. If you get your angle of ascent just right you can really climb up higher than these aircraft could have ever gone. It is a lot of fun but you can not see anything on the ground. Is is all like a white haze...

Badsight.
03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Choctaw111:
Is is all like a white haze... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Game-Engine limitation

it was licensed for IL2 back in the mid / late 1990's