PDA

View Full Version : sounds reversal, has anybody noticed



DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I use a trackir 4 to look around and a 5.1 surround headphone for sound...

When there is a plane at my 5 o'clock and I turn my head to look back towards him, he sounds like he is comming from my planes 7 o'clock...

Is this a limitation in the soundengine..?

Is there a fix for this..?

Cajun76
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
If you don't have your 5.1 headset plugged in wrong, then you can reverse the stereo in the Sound options.

willyvic
05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Are you sure your not hearing your own engine sound increase when you turn your head right? The game will do that, simulating you putting your left ear more in line with the engine.

Just a thought.

WV

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
The problem is very subtile...

My sounds are fine except when there is a plane closeby on my six or seven o'clock...

I can hear exactly where it is when I look straight ahead, but if I turn my head to look almost directly at him, and cannot turn any farther, the sounds reach a point where it reverses what I should hear and a plane on my 5 will sound like it's at my planes 7...

Can anybody offer an explenation or solution to this..?
Has anybody noticed this..?

http://home.wanadoo.nl/chosen1/explain3.jpg

FoolTrottel
05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Can't confirm this effect.

Does not happen on my system.

Tested this flying a F4F3, and having a wingman at seven o'clock.

Looking around, the sound of its engine seems to follow correctly.

But, must say, can hardly hear his engine, him being at about 30m distance...

As you can hear him so very well, me thinks you need to tweak some settings.

How could one hear another plane's engine so good, over ones own engine?

Me thinks willyvic's thoughts are a sound explanation...

Good Luck!

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Can't confirm this effect.

Does not happen on my system.

Tested this flying a F4F3, and having a wingman at seven o'clock.

Looking around, the sound of its engine seems to follow correctly.

But, must say, can hardly hear his engine, him being at about 30m distance...

As you can hear him so very well, me thinks you need to tweak some settings.

How could one hear another plane's engine so good, over ones own engine?

Me thinks willyvic's thoughts are a sound explanation...

Good Luck!

for the response .



-

FoolTrottel
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the video, sounds okay on my system... as in at first sounds come from the left, and when head rotates to the right, from the right! (Left-Front-Right-Left-Front)
(I do have 5.1 surround)

There's however another reversal, when facing front, sound comes from the front, not from the rear! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

(Oh, it's 'cos I aint got no rear center speaker? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif Gotta get me an 11.1 thingy...)

Concluding: you've got some wires crossed, check 'm!

BSS_Sniper
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I use 5.1 and have the same problem, except its with my own engine. I have my speakers plugged in properly and rechecked. It's just how its always been.

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Thanks for the video, sounds okay on my system... as in at first sounds come from the left, and when head rotates to the right, from the right! (Left-Front-Right-Left-Front)
(I do have 5.1 surround)

There's however another reversal, when facing front, sound comes from the front, not from the rear! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Concluding: you've got some wires crossed, check 'm!

Strange... Sound is recorded at the computer level... The sound in my video (as you hear it) is not dependant on how my headphone wires are plugged in...

FoolTrottel
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Lol, check them headphones, one is marked 'L' the other 'R'... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Just Kiddin'...

'Recorded at the computer level' indeed, so, something in your playback-part is not correctly configured.
What if you swap the headset? Meaning, treat L as being Right, and R as being Left? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

So, what headset is it? USB?
You do not have a 5.1 speakerset?

I'd check software/driver settings for the headphones (if there are any) and Windows' sound settings ...

Weird indeed!

Capt.LoneRanger
05-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Odd sound, when looking at the front?

Be sure to have extensions enabled. Shouldn't happen with it. And also be sure to set speakers to 5.1 / surround.

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I'll try to explain in more detail what I hear.



-

-

Divine-Wind
05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds fine to me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Are you sure it's not your sound settings somewhere?

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Sounds fine to me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Are you sure it's not your sound settings somewhere?

Hey http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I am extremely unsure about my settings hence this topic...

eventhough I completed the speaker placement setup of the creatives setup program succesfully and my other 5.1 games seem to work fine...

A test with 'rightmark 3d' (an audio 5.1 placement testing utility) also confirms that my speakers are all working correctly...

But since multiple people have now stated that the video's sound fine to them, it should be clear that the problem is from my computer to my speakers...
(unless those video listeners had stereo instead of 5.1)

DooDaH2007
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
It may well just boil down to this;

The movement of my head in relation to my monitor because of trackir...
http://home.wanadoo.nl/chosen1/explain4.jpg

-

Divine-Wind
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd suggest playing around with your sound settings Il-2. Something might've gotten changed somehow, or not setup properly.

DooDaH2007
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
I'd suggest playing around with your sound settings Il-2. Something might've gotten changed somehow, or not setup properly.

Well, the last 10 or so of my topic were sound related and I did fool around very much with my conf.ini sound part to get it right...

But I think it's trackir and the position of my head in relation to my monitor which is cousing the sound displacement ingame...

Will do some more testing to prove or disprove this, before I start working again on my sound...