PDA

View Full Version : Some questions...

Ambaryerno
07-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Hullo all, I'm new to PF, but've been playing flight sims for...ever (started way back on Aces of the Pacific II, baby, WOO!) Mostly I'm getting active in Aces High II, but I've been looking for a good offline WWII sim.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with Pacific Fighters, some of the BEST graphics I've seen in a sim since Janes' WWII Fighters, although I have a few questions

First, and this is very frustrating, is that I can't hardly see my tracers at ALL. I can see where my enemy's shots are going MUCH more easily than I can my own. Is there some setting that can adjust this? Make them brighter, or change them from red to yellow, or something else more easily seen? It's wreaking havoc with my gunnery, and since hit indication is so subtle I can't tell if I'm even hitting anything at all.

This same issue has been affecting me with aircraft, as well. Unless I'm sitting point blank behind them it's very difficult to make out what I'm looking at.

Lastly (to start) I've noticed a lot of skins, missions, etc available to download, but how about sounds?

3.JG51_BigBear
07-30-2006, 11:47 PM
The tracers on American A/C are very hard to see. There is no setting to change their intensity/brightness. In one of the recent patches the tracers were de-syncronized which makes it far easier to hit with the .50s.

Sounds in game can't be changed but their are music/soundtrack type things you can download that play while looking at the menus.

Ambaryerno
07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Hm. That's disappointing about the sounds (the sound of the US Browning .50cal just doesn't SOUND like a Ma Deuce, and I have recording of the real gun firing :-/ ). Are there any plans to fix the US tracers in a future patch so they're more visible?

Chuck_Older
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
I never really have a problem seeing US tracers, but here's a good way to make sure you hit your target:

center your 'ball' before firing- the gunsights on some US planes feature this simple instrument, and on others it's on the turn/bank indicator, usually dead center of the British "basic six" instrument cluster, which was more or less standard lay-out

Ensuring that the ball is centered means that your bullets actually fly directly forward along your path of flight instead of getting 'tossed' to one side

In this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/bomber.jpg

You can see the ball is as centered as it needs to be; if I pull the trigger just as the target gets to point 'X", I should hit it. (Ball is dead center in the instrument panel, second tier of instruments from top)

tigertalon
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ambaryerno:
First, and this is very frustrating, is that I can't hardly see my tracers at ALL. I can see where my enemy's shots are going MUCH more easily than I can my own.

Take a macchi C.202_VII for a spin. Tracers will actually obscure your view of the bogey http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif.

(getting one in your sight in this plane may be another story http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Ambaryerno
07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm a Hog pilot, so none of that thar Axis stuff for me.

Speaking of which, trying to keep the F4U centered while firing is just plain insane. No way those .50 cal machine guns would have THAT huge of an effect on a 6-ton fighter. Pulling the trigger is like lighting a RATO out on the end of one wing.

There's some other things I've noticed about the Corsair that seem...off (other than ones I've seen noted here, such as lack of airspeed, engines too quick to overheat and sustained turns).

FritzGryphon
08-01-2006, 12:02 AM
As far as tracer use, keep in mind that the US pilots had greater success when they stopped using tracers.

It's a blessing that they are not conspicuous enough to be a distraction. I wish I could disable tracers on guns that have them!

Ambaryerno
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I like tracers. Especially when I'm trying to learn the gunnery model. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif