PDA

View Full Version : Audio Latency!?

dkong11
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I have it set up as PS3-->HDMI-->Plasma for video, PS3 Component Cable -->Receiver --> Speakers. I am getting terrible audio lag, I play a note or chord, and it comes out of the speakers like a half second later. I'm hitting 90+ % of all the notes as I'm playing them at the right time and it's picking them up and scoring them, but it sounds like a ******ed elephant is playing. If I adjust the lag correction, doesn't that just make the notes appear sooner and therefore make me play them earlier ie. out of time, so that the sound comes out at the right time?? Any advice would be much, much appreciated. Great game so far, except for this.

ForkInSocket
10-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Two suggestions. First the convenient:

If your stereo/AV receiver has Audio-Only channels, try plugging into one of those (e.g. CD instead of DVD). Then check your receiver's manual for a setting or mode called something like Direct, Source Direct, S-Direct, etc. Direct modes disable the additional signal processing that sometimes occurs in the signal path. This can sometimes reduce latency (it has for me). Also, turn off any tone-shaping like equalization, bass or treble boost and any reverb effects like Hall, Stadium, Club, etc. These all add latency to your pure audio signal.

Now, the not-so-convenient:

If you have powered speakers, computer speakers or a portable stereo that accept RCA inputs (you can get these fairly cheap) try using those instead of your stereo receiver and test again for lag. These devices are generally too dumb to do much signal processing. If there is very little lag in this setup (there will always be a very small 30 ms or so of latency) then your receiver has been responsible for the delay you are experiencing, and your best bet is to either use powered speakers or find another stereo receiver.

Hope this helps.

dkong11
10-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks, I will try these in that order when I get home!

Wedgieburn666
10-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I am using the PS3 game and I have zero lag. I am using an optical out cable directly to my audio receiver and HDMI to the TV. Have you tried optical?