PDA

View Full Version : I won't be buying it now ...

xartaox
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Granted, I need to update my PC to play this game before I buy it anyhow, but I WAS rather looking forward to this new look at subsimming, even with only the Type VII and the war ending in '43 ... that would have been modded anyhow ... but now? with the new DRM scheme? NO WAY!!
... and BTW this is NOT a 'DRM thread', it's a thread about no longer being willing to purchase the game ...

xartaox
01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
... adding ... nor buying any other game that includes this scheme ...

socko2009
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
@xartaox;

Well, .....Don't feel like "The Lone Ranger"!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

S.

trenken
01-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Anyone who wont buy SH5 due to DRM either lives in a 3rd world country where they cannot get internet, or have never played a DRM game. Ive played 4, they all work great.

Then again, I have the internet. Apparently pretty rare for most people on this site. Not having the internet is the only possible excuse anyone could have for not wanting to buy this game.

socko2009
01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
@Trenken;

<span class="ev_code_RED">Comment Deleted</span>

Take your "Full-Time Internet attitude" to Montana or North Dakota and see how well it plays!!!

JEEZ!!!! ....How can people be so clueless???!!!

S.

xartaox
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
trenken, your continuing espousal of the wonders of DRM are getting tiresome at best. -sigh-
I DO have a broadband connection. I don't care. SH V is a single-player game, and has absolutely NO NEED to be online-at-all-times, as OSP requires. When I play an intensive game, I shut down my 'net-security software and turn off my modem so ALL CPU/memory resources are available to the game. This will not allow that. Furthermore, who knows what security holes will be opened up by OSP? What if I'm in the middle of an intense convoy set-up, and my connection stutters or <shudder> craps-out, or Ubi's servers stutter or crap-out, and I lose my progress and have to re-set-up my attack again? BOOO!! What if my modem dies on me, and I can't afford a new one for a month or two? I can't play MY game, can I?
I don't care that I can run the game on as many machines as I want ... I only run games on one machine. I don't care that they keep my save-games on their server, actually I prefer them ONLY on my machine. I back up my files myself, and often run multiple installs of games with different mods applied. How will OSP with server-saved games affect that? If I had, say, a laptop I wanted to run my games on while traveling, or otherwise away from net access, I couldn't, could I? Auto-updates and DLC? So what? I'll wait for community review of the effects of such before I CHOOSE to install them. What if the game sucks, and I want to re-sell it? I can't, as directly stated by Ubi.
I wouldn't mind if they wanted me to authenticate my game online, or even re-authenticate periodically, or log-in to download updates (I categorically do NOT want auto-update on ANY software on my system. I do updates when and how I want). This is NOT what they are implementing. They want me online at all times to play a single-player, offline game. THAT is a load of BS, and I will not be a party to it!! Using Steam would be better than OSP, IMHO, as then at least I could play offline.
Get off your arrogant high-horse, come down out of the 'I have the internet' cloud, and listen to what people are actually saying about their objections to this ridiculous OSP BS.
Furthermore, as I stated above, this is NOT a thread about OSP/DRM, it's a thread about not being willing to buy this product as released. Go proselytize OSP/DRM in the appropriate thread please.

SeaWolfU-57
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow cup of tea anyone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

socko2009
01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I think that the only plausible explanation for "Trenken" is that he works for UBI, ....And is posting here only to sow disinformation and confusion about UBI's current marketing plan!

No other explanation explains his mindless adherence to a ridiculous point of view!!

S.

SeaWolfU-57
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
How about selling the game to registered users
Then restricting the SH5 threads to the users that have purchase the game through legal channels IE. Ubisoft or on Subsim
then only allow updates or Mods to be show in the limited access threads Im sure Neal would also be able to work this out.
no need for any other crap then.

xartaox
01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
... crap ... this thread will soon be locked I predict .... I guess there was no way to keep my intended subject from turning into OSP/DRM discussion ....

WhiteKnight77
01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by trenken:
Anyone who wont buy SH5 due to DRM either lives in a 3rd world country where they cannot get internet, or have never played a DRM game. Ive played 4, they all work great.

Then again, I have the internet. Apparently pretty rare for most people on this site. Not having the internet is the only possible excuse anyone could have for not wanting to buy this game.

You do realize that Ubi's servers are notorious for their inability to stay running right? Ubi has a server crash at least once a week. How will anyone be able to play, or you for that matter, when it is Ubi's servers are down?

RedTerex
02-01-2010, 08:23 AM
@ trenken,

This whole "internet connection needed to play" what is in reality an offline single player game is just so stupid as to be untrue.

I have full 24/7 Broadband at 10 meg and still say DRM is as pointless and a chocolate teapot for this title.

UBisoft bean counting mongol director generals who have limited real gaming experience believe that its stylish and the way forward when in fact its dilapidated and completely ******ed as pointed out by about 99.9% of real gamers on this forum.

and if I could just exemplify whiteknight77's last post - Ubisoft servers are...shall we say the cheaper and nastier versions of what is currently available, hence total unreliability

RedTerex
02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SeaWolfU-57:
Wow cup of tea anyone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

er..go on then, nice hot strong cuppa with 2 sugars please.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BTOG46
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by xartaox:
... adding ... nor buying any other game that includes this scheme ...

And this second post of yours contradicts your opening post, and confirms it is simply another DRM thread, please use the existing one.