PDA

View Full Version : The PS3 color/brightness/gamma issue

Michelasso
07-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Now, I really need to take this off my chest. Being one of the unlucky gamers with the top white fog issue, to try to have at least a workaround I did the following:

- Raise the game brightness to 7
- Lower the tv brightness
- Since I was there mess up with all tv image calibrations

Obviously now when starting the PS3 the screen in unwachtable. Very dark, lot of contrast, the gamma a little bit too much saturated. Same when starting the game. Ezio looks like a dark ghost. But once Italy opens up... bam! It looks normal!!

Well, the top white fog issue is still there, but much less noticeable. The colors are deeper (more like the X360 ones), not that washed, and some cut scenes really leave me with the open mouth. The one of the Assassin's rite, tho, seems too redish. And the funny thing is that I lowered the red color as well!!

Interesting enough, I started a new game to compare my settings with the images in the Lens of Truth comparison. The most interesting thing is that the lighting effect in this frame:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/wp-content/gallery/h2h_assassin_bh_analysis/xbox-360-rollover_03.jpg

now is there!! With the standard settings not a chance. Another interesting feature, for the fanboys, changing the image settings on the tv really makes the textures looking different. Better in this case.

This puzzles (and me off) a lot. Do at Ubisoft hate the PS3? Do they do it on purpose? There is NO WAY on Earth that the two games must looks so different in terms of color settings. I do understand tearing and texture issues. They have different GPUs. But the colors?! What's pushing Ubisoft to always make the PS3 version looking washed? A reduced palette? I simply can't understand. Sometime playing that game the top white fog gives me nausea. I am glad I waited for platinum to buy it. And I may give up on revelations. I am very disappointed.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

Markie577
07-14-2011, 04:16 AM
I am a ps3 user and I have no idea what you are talking about. What is the top white fog issue? I'm very curious about this! Perhaps I can help if I know the problem

generalchb1996
07-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Michelasso:
Now, I really need to take this off my chest. Being one of the unlucky gamers with the top white fog issue, to try to have at least a workaround I did the following:

- Raise the game brightness to 7
- Lower the tv brightness
- Since I was there mess up with all tv image calibrations

Obviously now when starting the PS3 the screen in unwachtable. Very dark, lot of contrast, the gamma a little bit too much saturated. Same when starting the game. Ezio looks like a dark ghost. But once Italy opens up... bam! It looks normal!!

Well, the top white fog issue is still there, but much less noticeable. The colors are deeper (more like the X360 ones), not that washed, and some cut scenes really leave me with the open mouth. The one of the Assassin's rite, tho, seems too redish. And the funny thing is that I lowered the red color as well!!

Interesting enough, I started a new game to compare my settings with the images in the Lens of Truth comparison. The most interesting thing is that the lighting effect in this frame:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/wp-content/gallery/h2h_assassin_bh_analysis/xbox-360-rollover_03.jpg

now is there!! With the standard settings not a chance. Another interesting feature, for the fanboys, changing the image settings on the tv really makes the textures looking different. Better in this case.

This puzzles (and me off) a lot. Do at Ubisoft hate the PS3? Do they do it on purpose? There is NO WAY on Earth that the two games must looks so different in terms of color settings. I do understand tearing and texture issues. They have different GPUs. But the colors?! What's pushing Ubisoft to always make the PS3 version looking washed? A reduced palette? I simply can't understand. Sometime playing that game the top white fog gives me nausea. I am glad I waited for platinum to buy it. And I may give up on revelations. I am very disappointed.

Michelasso
07-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Hi, I'm talking about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ZhlGqD8z8).

Not the flashing, the white thing you see on the top. I don't understand why it should be an isolated issue, it looks to me like a (dumb) design choice.

Anyway, you may try to change the game brightnes to 1. At that level is totally visible, it cuts the screen in two. At least on my PS3.

All PS3 settings are the usual (full RGB and so on). I also tried to change them and I even tried with the A/V cable (PAL). No changes, always there. The only workaround I've found is the one describe above. It is REALLY annoying. It feels like suffering from cataract or something.

Markie577
07-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Oh yeah i've noticed it. But i always thought it was a sun glare, a specific design choice. Also it wasn't that obvious(sp) in my game. Only at midday when the sun was at it's heighest

Michelasso
07-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Maybe in your case is less obvious. I have it day and night. Sure, during the night it's a mild effect. But during the day it does it even under a shadow, like in the video. Also it moves looking at the floor. It would make some sense if it was there looking at the Sun. It's what you get during an humid sunny day (well, too bad that Rome air is pretty dry...).

Still, I don't see the reason to make a good game looking bad. Also when it hides some other lighting effects.

Black_Widow9
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Please post this here-
Vocalize your hate for the pseudo bloom~ a msg to the devs (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/3011069998?r=3011069998#3011069998)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>