PDA

View Full Version : Language barrier solution idea

Latico
01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
First of all, I would like to ask Oleg what languages are supported by the IL2 series in regard to mission .txt files? By looking at the mission files in the IL2 directory I can see that the .txt files include English, French, German, Russian versions. Can we create additional translations that will be supported by the sim so that the missions can be shared by a wider range of the IL2 series community?

Secondly, if the above can be done for additional languages, How many in the community are fluent enough in multiple languanges would be willing to translate mission .txt files for mission authors so that they can include them in their missin file packages for download by the multi-national community that we have.

I don't mean software translations either. Those give "literal" translations that can be confusing. I am an American and I

attempted to study German in High school and I know that the "literal" translation of German to English sounds funny and has to be re-arranged a bit to make it sound right. (Would most likely be the same for translating English to German) This probably holds true with all translations of one language to another. So accurate translations are needed.

If you are muli-lingual and would like to volunteer some time for this please post with the languages you are FLUENT in, so that those that wish to have their .txt files translated may contact you via PM or email. And those that want translations, please check your spelling before you sent files to be translated.

BTW, I shamefully have to admit that I didn';t do well at all in my German course. Though I could pronounce the German words like a natural born "Deutchlander", I couldn't put the right words together to make a proper sentence to save my butt.

Latico
01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
First of all, I would like to ask Oleg what languages are supported by the IL2 series in regard to mission .txt files? By looking at the mission files in the IL2 directory I can see that the .txt files include English, French, German, Russian versions. Can we create additional translations that will be supported by the sim so that the missions can be shared by a wider range of the IL2 series community?

Secondly, if the above can be done for additional languages, How many in the community are fluent enough in multiple languanges would be willing to translate mission .txt files for mission authors so that they can include them in their missin file packages for download by the multi-national community that we have.

I don't mean software translations either. Those give "literal" translations that can be confusing. I am an American and I

attempted to study German in High school and I know that the "literal" translation of German to English sounds funny and has to be re-arranged a bit to make it sound right. (Would most likely be the same for translating English to German) This probably holds true with all translations of one language to another. So accurate translations are needed.

If you are muli-lingual and would like to volunteer some time for this please post with the languages you are FLUENT in, so that those that wish to have their .txt files translated may contact you via PM or email. And those that want translations, please check your spelling before you sent files to be translated.

BTW, I shamefully have to admit that I didn';t do well at all in my German course. Though I could pronounce the German words like a natural born "Deutchlander", I couldn't put the right words together to make a proper sentence to save my butt.