PDA

View Full Version : Compensating for wind and trimming the airplane

Dieu_Le_Fera
08-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Hello again,

I have two quick questions on the topic. First, I start off some missions in bad weather and my plane starts spinning on it's axis. I thought at first I thought this was a glitch because using my rudder or locking the tail wheel didn't stop the spin. How can I compensate for this besides turning off wind and turbulence in the difficulty (I like to fly as realistically as possible). Second, I learned a lot about trim from playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X and it seems to be a lot easier to trim the plane in that then in this sim. I can get level flight, but I wouldn't call it exactly straight. Any tips would me much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Dieu_Le_Fera
08-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Hello again,

I have two quick questions on the topic. First, I start off some missions in bad weather and my plane starts spinning on it's axis. I thought at first I thought this was a glitch because using my rudder or locking the tail wheel didn't stop the spin. How can I compensate for this besides turning off wind and turbulence in the difficulty (I like to fly as realistically as possible). Second, I learned a lot about trim from playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X and it seems to be a lot easier to trim the plane in that then in this sim. I can get level flight, but I wouldn't call it exactly straight. Any tips would me much appreciated. Thank you very much.

MEGILE
08-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Honestly in bad weather, I don't think you are going to get the plane trimmed for hands-off flying. Been years since I tried however.

Trim it as best you can, then adjust the flight surfaces yourself to suite via the stick.

Crash_Moses
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Apply brakes to keep your plane from turning on the ground. Hold the key down and apply a little rudder and throttle to line it back up with the runway.

And, as Megile said, you won't be able to trim for perfectly straight hands off flying. Not for more than a few seconds anyway.

p-11.cAce
08-09-2007, 07:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Second, I learned a lot about trim from playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X and it seems to be a lot easier to trim the plane in that then in this sim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I fly microsoft flight sim products...have since the mid-90's... keep in mind that MSFS products are great procedure trainers with lots of eyecandy but the FM's are major cr@p. I've not been able to fly in RL hands off for long either (except on really calm days in a -172, and then you still get some phugoid wandering.