PDA

View Full Version : Modest Upgrade Suggestions....

LEBillfish
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi All;

Though I refuse to upgrade as in build an "end all" pc at this time due to so many new changes coming out....I'm starting to slow down a bit and believe my ram or processor is perhaps beginning to fail, so thought a moddest upgrade to get me by might be the trick. Trouble is I'm a pc weetawd, so how about some suggestions for
Mother Board
Processor
Ram

Here is what I have....Also know I have NO intentions of changing out Case/Power Supply/Graphics Card/Hard Drives at this time...this just a temp nudge to keep it chugging along.

Case=Antec Plus 1080 full tower (so mucho room)
Power Supply= ATX 430W (however, all fans, ALL are run from a seperate 230W power supply)
MB= Intel ATX 845PE P4 with sound & Lan, AGP slot 8X & 6PCI slots (INTD845PESVL)
GC= Nvidia 6600 AGP 256
Memory= 1Gig DDR333
Processor=Intel 2.53Ghz, 533fsb
Hard Drives=6 ATA drives utilizing an ATA/PCI controller card
CD/DVD= 3
XP home
etc.

So, what I want is a
Motherboard with AGP 8X, will take 2gb ram, has 4+ PCI slots, ATA type HD, and preferably LAN
Ram 2Gb in 1 Gig sticks
Processor, preferably Intel

Not looking for the biggest and most powerful, yet know for next to nothing I can dramatically upgrade.

SUggestions?.....Biggie is keeping the same hard drives without adding more, and the AGP & PCI slots.

Thanks for your help,

K2

Morteiin
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi.

Look for an 'Intel Core 2 Dual Core' or 'Intel Core 2 Quad Core' cpu. These chips are as cheap or even cheaper sometimes than the outdated 'Pentium 4' kind of chip you're using now, while being considerably more powerful and cool running as well.

When comparing these chips, remember that the 'Core 2' chips outperform the 'Pentium 4' chips by quite a big margin, even when they're rated at the same GHz value.

To find a motherboard that these cpu's fit onto you need to find a motherboard that has a 'LGA775' socket. Finding one of these that also has an AGP slot instead of a PCI express one could be problematic, probably to the point where you might end up having to ditch the 6600.

If you were to replace your 6600 with an equivalent or just slightly better PCI express card, you'd be looking at something like a 7600GS, which aren't that expensive.

The RAM you get will be dictated by the motherboard you get, which will require either 'DDR2' or 'DDR3' RAM (probably DDR2).

There are too many brands and varieties of motherboards and RAM to be able to say which ones are best for you. I'd suggest finding a computer parts price-search engine and just wading in. Searching for 'Intel Core 2' cpu's, 'LGA775 socket' motherboards (AGP if you really have to) and 'DDR2' RAM.

Sorry if you knew all this, was just trying to keep it basic. Hopefully some other people more knowledgeable than myself will come along and verify or correct what I've suggested. Good luck with it all.

Les.

JG51_Rudel
10-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I may have found an motherboard that will let you use your old ram and video card and it does support 2 gigs of ram and 4 pci slots.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4ECS848PA7&eq=&Tp=

As for a CPU, the only single core that may work with the above motherboard is this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116004

-HH-Quazi
10-24-2007, 05:20 PM
If you are looking to upgrade the processor LB, then it makes no sense not to go with a PCI-E mobo. You can an get equivalent PCI-E graphics card super cheap. Then a core2duo E6750 & 1GB of DDR2 memory.

Airmail109
10-24-2007, 05:25 PM
e6600 + 2gb ddr2 667mhz + mobo + psu + 8800gt (soon to be released are the 140 dollars 256mb edition, and the 512mb which would be a better investment)

= a nice budget system to play il2 on and other games until BOB comes out in a year and a half

honestly you'll see a world of difference with IL2...far larger air battles, smooth frames over cities, better picture quality, maxed out graphics and a sweet 100fps avg.

9800gtx is slated for Q2 2008 release now, so an 8800gt would be a nice budget card to go for until newer tech comes along. Be sure to get a cheapish P35k mobo if u decide to upgrade, as this will give you lots of upgrade potential.

JG51_Rudel
10-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
e6600 + 2gb ddr2 667mhz + mobo + psu + 8800gt (soon to be released are the 140 dollars 256mb edition, and the 512mb which would be a better investment)

= a nice budget system to play il2 on and other games until BOB comes out in a year and a half

honestly you'll see a world of difference with IL2...far larger air battles, smooth frames over cities, better picture quality, maxed out graphics and a sweet 100fps avg.

9800gtx is slated for Q2 2008 release now, so an 8800gt would be a nice budget card to go for until newer tech comes along. Be sure to get a cheapish P35k mobo if u decide to upgrade, as this will give you lots of upgrade potential.

Thats not a modest upgrade, thats buying a whole new pc.

Airmail109
10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
AGP is basically non upgradeable, shed be wasting her money. Unless you count trawling ebay to find cpus that will fit the motherboard.

There are AM2 and 939 mobos about with AGP I think but theyre rare as hell and would offer little in the way of an upgrade. Then in half a years time when that system goes from long in the tooth to ancient (sorry billfish, my rigs ancient to) shed have wasted her money.

My two cents, Im just trying to be honest.

SlickStick
10-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I dunno, I'd be more interested in diagnosing what is being perceived as a slow-down, before you do anything. If there are no hard crashes or failures, most likely there is nothing wrong with the CPU or RAM or mobo. Your hardware should be fine until BoB comes out.

Heck, I'm still on an XP2600 (333), KT400 chipset, Ti 4200 128MB, 2GB of DDR333, with an 80GB 8MB Cache ATA133 HDD and it still plays this game well with slightly lowered settings.

What I would do intially, and you may already be doing these or some of them anyway, I'd grab a few free benchmarking tools and see if I could identify a bottleneck, un-install stuff that you don't use anymore, run some registry cleaners, defrag, double-check for spyware/viruses, and you'd be surprised what a fresh install of Windows will do for an older system.

I'm not sure how much you can do by yourself, as you stated that you were a PC "weetawd", which I doubt, but reduced performance is most likely not a failing CPU or RAM, at least I do not believe it is in this case.

Just my opinions and suggestions of course.

You appear to be running allot of drives, but if after you do all of the above, another GB of RAM might be the best and quickest way to upgrade until a new system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm with Quazi on this one.

LEBillfish
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm....Ok, well, I've lost Mother Boards in the past, yet am doubting that is it.....Now I'm debating..."go with just 2 gig of new ram (currently 1 gig of 2-512mb sticks)...and maybe an upgrade of a cheap AGP card, maybe even (doubtful) a faster (3ghz best I could go) processor"......

Or, new mobo, pci-e graphics card, processor and ram....Not sure I want to do that before an entire rebuild it so close to rebuilding......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Listen to SlickStick. CPUs and RAM rarely go bad, at least I never saw any go bad of mine or friends/businesses -- no overclocking of course. Could it be your Windows install getting corrupted, or just old and needs something simple like a Defrag? We don't know what "starting to slow down a bit" really means.

Elaborate.

LEBfish::
I'm starting to slow down a bit and believe my ram or processor is perhaps beginning to fail

LEBillfish
10-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
We don't know what "starting to slow down a bit" really means.

Elaborate.

LEBfish:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm starting to slow down a bit and believe my ram or processor is perhaps beginning to fail </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Processes seem to start up slower, occasionally a few freezes, saves and the like taking longer, pauses before commands are executed...Nothing bad, just notable.....

ROughly a year ago I did a complete software reinstall with XP the OS on its own drive, ALL programs on another, IL2 another, old files another, business another, research files on another.......So repairing the OS would not be an issue (point of it yet naturally you lose the registry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)....

Defragged often, AV/AS ran regularly with no finds, firewalled....So software should be fine.

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
mmm. At first, I'm thinking something software, but then I've often had weird problems with hard drives freezing like mad for a few seconds but sometimes would last until it would kill the Windows desktop, but it turned out it was power supply related. Does the hard drive make any weird clunking or brief whining sounds when your freezing starts, or does the hard drive light stay on constant for a long time?

Have you updated or got new antivirus? Some say antivirus can clog your computer. Or maybe some malware is slipping behind the antivirus? I'm NOT an expert on this at all, but just encouraging you to describe more in depth. For example, the occasional freeze ... what is freezing and when? Does FB/PF show any of these symptoms?

bolox00
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
if you still think replacing mb/cpu is the way to go after the above advice

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=217950&doy=26m10

it's uk i know and it's amd but price is good and i'm typing on one after a mb failure. 2 gig of pc3200 should be easier/cheaper locally.

i'd be looking at psu and software auto updating, malware etc first myself but an option to think about?

LEBillfish
10-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
....... Does the hard drive make any weird clunking or brief whining sounds when your freezing starts, or does the hard drive light stay on constant for a long time?

Have you updated or got new antivirus? Some say antivirus can clog your computer. Or maybe some malware is slipping behind the antivirus? I'm NOT an expert on this at all, but just encouraging you to describe more in depth. For example, the occasional freeze ... what is freezing and when? Does FB/PF show any of these symptoms?

no, no, no, no, no.....yes.....However, PF has froze on occasion since 46 came out...That I believe is sond related and will be dealt with (better card).....A freeze would be things that mostly utilize a lot of ram (photoshop, IL2, etc.)...Basically, the program just stalls out, which is odd as I have virtually everything only running on demand (manual start not auto)...and much simply always off as I like to run a lean pc.......So, imagine if you took your XP/3Ghz/gig of ram processes and put them on a 95/1ghz/256 ram machine.....That's what it is working towards...

LEXX_Luthor
10-26-2007, 02:12 AM
mmm, okay. I don't know. Maybe the Windows gurus know more about cache or swap files and how they effect RAM and disk performance. I never messed with mine, but I don't have much on my computer. Not even a word proc nor sound card.

Maybe you were right and it could be aging hardware like RAM or CPU. Something over heating perhaps? It could be motherboard or chipset on that. Have you peeked into your computer? Are there any sounds made at all when something freezes? I have not used an Intel since the 1990s.

You could goto one of the tech boards, they are always nice to have around. Find one you like, there are countless many of them. And if you enjoy it, you can eventually help another.

Thanks for talking!

I should know more, and I have always researched the books and boards to build my own computer, then it lasts for years with almost no problem, so I never really mess with it, and I totally FORGET everything and how to do it, and when I build again, I have to start studying all over again from the start. My last was 3 years ago, my next build will be maybe 2 years from now.

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking windows reinstall and if that doesn't fix it I would suspect hdd before ram, your statements about loading programs, saving, and high ram usage (thinking pagefile here) lead me that way. Could be anything though, I would start with the easiest, reformat and reinstall.

erco415
10-26-2007, 03:50 PM
LB, if you do end up going the hardware route, you'll be money ahead to do as Quazi says and go with a PCI-E mobo. I've just recently finished a rig I was building out of spare parts I had left over from various upgrades, and I'm just stunned at how cheap 2 gigs of quality DDR2 is. That and processors are incredibly cheap for the performance. Here's an intel build I figured off of newegg: Gigabyte mobo $95 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
Intel dual core cpu $170 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
And Corsair pc6400 memory $78 ($48 after rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590
You'll need a pcie card to go with the board, but you can pick up a 7600GT for around $50, and there you go, a much better system, with some future proofing, for only $363. I didn't research these components, which ought to be done before you buy, just to make sure of the compatability. But guys like Quazi and the rest of the gang on Community help can give you all kinds of help with that. Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Taylortony
10-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I tend on this one here to simply replace the hard drive and use the old one as a slave till i have everything i want off it..... that way you get a fresh install and lose nothing

zardozid
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Processes seem to start up slower, occasionally a few freezes, saves and the like taking longer, pauses before commands are executed...Nothing bad, just notable.....

It sounds like your Hard Drive could be on the way out...most hard drives don't last 5 years.

Sun_Ra
10-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Check to be sure your northbridge fan is working so the chipset is not overheating.