PDA

View Full Version : A missing effect

Bull_dog_
12-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Smoke coming out of aircraft at full throttle.

I've read alot about Messers and Fw's smoking when the throttle was all the way open. I have not read about other aircraft, but that doesn't mean they don't smoke.

It would be a nice effect to add not only for immersion but aircraft that cut their engines while manuevering or adding fuel to the boiler when enemies are spotted would give a tattle tail sign as their engine stops smoking.

Bull_dog_
12-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Smoke coming out of aircraft at full throttle.

I've read alot about Messers and Fw's smoking when the throttle was all the way open. I have not read about other aircraft, but that doesn't mean they don't smoke.

It would be a nice effect to add not only for immersion but aircraft that cut their engines while manuevering or adding fuel to the boiler when enemies are spotted would give a tattle tail sign as their engine stops smoking.

Bull_dog_
12-26-2004, 03:09 PM
As long as we're at it and 3.03 has been released...

The lightning L model still doesn't have boost or its rated engine horsepower at WEP, there is still low altitude compressibility with both lightning models and the A and D model Corsair have the same speed which is not correct.

Heck don't forget about the Fw bar, the turning radius of the Bf109 series, the DM's of certain Soviet aircraft.... as you might be able to tell, I was somewhat dissapointed after downloading 100mb and promptly placing my Corsair in the drink trying to take off from stationary aircraft carrier with payloads that I could previously take off with...not impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Smoking is very bad for you young man!!!

http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/NicodermStep3_enlarge.jpg

SeaFireLIV
12-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I watched a program on the BBC about DDay and it featured not just the Americans, but OTHER nations too. In one instance it had the Brits clambering up a shore line and a Spitfire flew overhead trailing smoke...

I assumed this plane had been hit by small arms fire. But later, in a separate incident over inland France a Spitfire was flying low and again it was leaving a thin trail of smoke.

Was this another damaged Spit? Or, did some Spitfire`s in reality always leave some smoke depending on the engine management of the pilot, even when relatively low down? Perhaps this was some kind of mistake by the special effects people (since the Spit appeared to be a computer made image) ? Seems unlikely it would be an error, it`s just this is not often seen in historical WWII film.

anarchy52
12-26-2004, 05:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bull_dog_:
... I was somewhat dissapointed after downloading 100mb and promptly placing my Corsair in the drink trying to take off from stationary aircraft carrier with payloads that I could previously take off with...not impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people say that that is correct - headwind is needed for takeoff in corsair. Todays aircraft carriers have powerfull catapults and AFAIK still use their speed and turn upwind to make takeoffs easier especially when aircrafts are loaded with ordonance.

Bull_dog_
12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Smoking is very bad for you young man!!!

http://www.manekineko.us/catalog/images/product/NicodermStep3_enlarge.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fortunately, I quit smoking a year ago...my plane has never started except with bullet holes.

I don't know if Spits or any other aircraft smoked, but I have read accounts of both Fw's and Bf 109's smoking at full throttle...would be a nice addition and I doubt too hard to do.

Raptor_20thFG
12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bull_dog_:

The lightning L model still doesn't have boost or its rated engine horsepower at WEP, there is still low altitude compressibility with both lightning models and the A and D model Corsair have the same speed which is not correct.

Heck don't forget about the Fw bar, the turning radius of the Bf109 series, the DM's of certain Soviet aircraft.... as you might be able to tell, I was somewhat dissapointed after downloading 100mb and promptly placing my Corsair in the drink trying to take off from stationary aircraft carrier with payloads that I could previously take off with...not impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to tell you this but that is also historically acurate and I had no problem getting my corsair up just use flaps and rev the engine before you release chocks.

Bull_dog_
12-27-2004, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor_20thFG:

Heck don't forget about the Fw bar, the turning radius of the Bf109 series, the DM's of certain Soviet aircraft.... as you might be able to tell, I was somewhat dissapointed after downloading 100mb and promptly placing my Corsair in the drink trying to take off from stationary aircraft carrier with payloads that I could previously take off with...not impressed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to tell you this but that is also historically acurate and I had no problem getting my corsair up just use flaps and rev the engine before you release chocks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

\I don't hate to tell you this...read my message again...note the part about payloads that I had previously been able to take off with. I can take off with no payload easily, I can take off with light payloads with some difficulty, but several payloads that I used to be able to take off with are no longer an option with a static carrier.

As far as whether it is historically correct or not, I haven't flown a corsair off a flight deck and this isn't about historically correct. It is about flying online from static carriers...now either make them move or make it so I can take off the dam thing with some ordinance...that is what I paid money for ....a Pacific Sim I think it was about. My mood is not improving...I remember something about a flyable Betty too and a third cd not fitting.

I've had my moments of happiness and dissappointment with this sim, but I have to say this patch has almost left me in disgust...there are so many glaring problems and we keep getting new stuff without correcting the old problems... I'm really getting a bad feeling of deja vu. No boost in the lightning??? Bf109's out turning spits??? Fw bar? Wings falling off? Compressibility at low altitude...on only one aircraft???

My rant is over...have a nice day http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

PraetorHonoris
12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
There was quite dark smoke, when the 109 went to full speed.
If you watch "Memphis Bell" (the US-Propaganda movie from 1944, not the later hollywood film), you'll see this effect.

cafflier
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Most piston powered aircraft smoke when under full power. The reason is that they are, or should be , using a rich mixture. This is how some of the enormous amount of heat is disposed of. A perfect mixture is about 15 molecules of air to 1 molecule of fuel. During combat, the mixture would be set to "Auto Rich", resuting in, say, a 10 to 1 mixture. The engine still burns at 15 to 1 and the excess goes out the exhaust, carrying some excess heat with it. In the game, this effect is seen when climbing to altitude with the mixture full rich. There is a smoke trail of unburnt fuel going out the exhaust!

clint-ruin
12-27-2004, 10:08 PM
This effect used to be in the original Il2 but was removed. Like the fat dots. Would be interesting to get it back and see what people make of it :&gt;

sapre
12-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Mircroprose's B-17 II had this effect.

ateng
12-28-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi all,

in fact, if you play with the mixture, and if this mixture is too high for the altitude where you are flying, you will see some smoke.
But it is not perhaps what you are exactly looking for.

Ateng