PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a good value desktop rig?

Flying_Nutcase
01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi ya,

I'm considering replacing my antiquated box. What's currently the sweet spot in terms of:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Motherboard
<LI>CPU
<LI>Graphics Cards
<LI>RAM
[/list]

AMD seems to be traditionally better with games, but the Intel E6600 seems to be kicking their butt at the moment in the 'decent value' market.

Would a motherboard purchased now likely be good for upgrades in a year or so?

I appreciate your thoughts,

Cheers.

Harti_5thW
01-07-2008, 05:55 AM
GFX- At the moment the 8800gt is the way to go, extremely good value for money. I'd recommend you to wait till Nvidia releases their 9 series though, as the price will go down even further.

CPU- An E6600 is a good choice, but if you want your new system to last, you should consider the Q6600. With a lot of games now taking full advantage off multicore (SoW will as well) this one will last you a lot longer.

RAM- Can't really go wrong here, 2gb of 800mhz should be enough. If you're planning on running Vista though you might want an extra gig to compensate for the large amount of memory it uses.

Mobo- I don't really keep myself up to date about motherboard, so you should wait for someone else's opinion on that.

Anyway, hope this helps.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-07-2008, 06:25 AM
mobo sweet spot is still the 680i or P35 though there is a 780i to be released pretty soon that will support 3 GPU's. The mobo is one place you definitely don't want to skimp much. You certainly don't need all the bells and whistles if you don't overclock or open your case much to tweak, you still want a good chipset and expandability.

Flying_Nutcase
01-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Much appreciated.

Given that the motherboard is pretty much there to stay, what's the horizon looking like in terms of AMD vs Intel?

Are AMD's quad cores any good?

Cheers!

Oh, 3 SLI'ed cards. That's be the deal for SOW. There is hope then! Actually after overclocking my 6800GT and upgrading from a P4 2.8GHz to a P4 3.2GHz, I think I can wait until November afterall. It's gonna be a wicked system. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif