PDA

View Full Version : NOOB question here reguarding Beaufighter.

Col_Tibbetts
11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
OK flame if you have to but...

What does the guy in the back of the Beaufighter do? No guns. Is he like my wife, a back seat driver! LOL!

Take my wife, please. Sorry, so lame. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Col_Tibbetts
11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
OK flame if you have to but...

What does the guy in the back of the Beaufighter do? No guns. Is he like my wife, a back seat driver! LOL!

Take my wife, please. Sorry, so lame. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

J_Weaver
11-10-2004, 01:53 PM
He was a radio operator I think. Ssome models had a gun there and some didn't. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Snootles
11-10-2004, 02:30 PM
His main job was navigator. In some British models he had a gun to man as well.

Waldo.Pepper
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Middle guy in the Kate. Extra pair of eyes.

Nige_Reconman
11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Predominantly a navigator/spotter.

In the MKIV i think it had a machinegun there as well.

Athosd
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately this radio operator/observer failed to plug in his R/T - so all he does for you is provide ballast.

Even without a weapon it would be very handy to be able to see out of that position - switching back to that view would simulate, to some degree, communication between the crew.

Cheers

Athos

Charlie901
11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Athosd:
Unfortunately this radio operator/observer failed to plug in his R/T - so all he does for you is provide ballast. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guys never fail at crackin' me up. Lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hendley
11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
On nightfighters, the radar operator. Originally he was a gunner, but the gun was dropped to save weight.

The observer also reloaded the 4 cannon under the nose. They were inside the forward fuselage, and spare drums of shells were mounted next to them. The observer could climb down and reload the guns during flight, though this could get dicey in the middle of a fight; each drum weighed 60lbs.

Actually, I've been wondering if this is modelled in the loadout of the plane? Does the ammo load reflect all the canisters the Beaufighter could carry (as reloaded by the observer), or does it just have the one cannister and the reloading is not modelled?

Athosd
11-10-2004, 10:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hendley:
On nightfighters, the radar operator. Originally he was a gunner, but the gun was dropped to save weight.

The observer also reloaded the 4 cannon under the nose. They were inside the forward fuselage, and spare drums of shells were mounted next to them. The observer could climb down and reload the guns during flight, though this could get dicey in the middle of a fight; each drum weighed 60lbs.

Actually, I've been wondering if this is modelled in the loadout of the plane? Does the ammo load reflect all the canisters the Beaufighter could carry (as reloaded by the observer), or does it just have the one cannister and the reloading is not modelled? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen schematics that show the Beau's guns being fed from large ammunition hoppers (not sure which version it was though).
The Beau in PF has quite a bit of ammo - 200+ rpg, so however they were fed in that version I believe we are getting the whole lot.
A typical drum magazine for 20mm holds about 60 rounds.

Athosd
11-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I dug out the schematic - its for a Beaufighter TF.X. In this model the 20mm guns are belt fed from separate ammo tanks - 284 rounds per gun.

From what I've seen only the early versions used the 60 round drum magazine.

Hendley
11-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Okay, cheers for that--so this is a later model Beaufighter?

My info, BTW, was from CF Rawnsley's Night Fighter (Rawnsley was 'Cat's Eye' Cunningham's radar operator in Blenheim, Beaufighter and Mossie). In the book he describes trying to reload the cannon during a nightfight engagement and crunching a finger or two in the process. It's a good read, highly recommend it.

gombal40
11-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Hendley

better give dues who made that pic in youre sig
i know where it is comming from. even know who owns it

Stop using it without credit

Hendley
11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Whoa, sorry about that. Picked up off the net ages ago, can't remember where. So many WW2 pics are public domain, I just assumed. Can you tell me who the copyright holder is?

Hendley
11-11-2004, 11:28 AM
gombal40 - I just took the trouble to look up the copyright law in Germany (likely source of a Stuka pic), Japan (where I live), and other countries, and in all cases the copyright duration for pics is 50 years--which means, as I suspected, that almost all WW2 pics are now in the public domain.

I could very well be wrong about this, however; please let me know if you have more specific info.

ANGST
11-11-2004, 11:32 AM
He's something to soak up battle dammage. I have seen "rear gunner killed" alot in my Beu campaigns... poor guys doesn't even get a name http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif