PDA

View Full Version : P-40 is randomly exploding again.

Lixma
06-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Some of you will remember the original (and best) FB v1.0 P-40 had an un-nerving habit of exploding. The only warning that this was about to happen was the plane would buffet and vibrate violently for a moment and then boooom.

Well, the bug has either returned or had not been properly dealt with last time around.

Happened to me today. 550kph straight and level - bang.

Anyone else seen this lately ?

faustnik
06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Ohh, cr4p! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif That bug SUCKED!

Gibbage1
06-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Lixma:

Happened to me today. 550kph straight and level - bang.

Anyone else seen this lately ?

Question. Did you notice if there was a FW-190 behind you? Those tent to contribute greatly too un-expected explosions.

PlaneEater
06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Which model P-40?

I've seen it happen ONCE since 1.0 with a P-40M, but not with any of the smallmouths.

Hope it's not back.

Lixma
06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
The field mod thingy.

VW-IceFire
06-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Dove all versions from 500 meters. Lost control surfaces around 700 and I ran out of altitude before any wings or tails ripped off but I was doing well over 800kph IAS and she was still holding together.

Impressive aircraft.

The Field Mod is quite light feeling. Also the guns are so much easier to aim with randomized tracer loadout.

NonWonderDog
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Now that is just... odd. The jet and rocket planes can hit mach 1 in a dive, which causes any plane in the sim to explode, but at 550 km/hr straight an level?

That is just... odd.

WWMaxGunz
06-02-2005, 08:43 PM
In the FB 1.0 bug you could dive to great speed and level out, then as you slowed to
550 the plane would explode. 1/4 speed playback showed the plane vibrated and caught
fire, it seemed to be something with the engine/prop/CEM that did it. Pulling up hard
so you weren't level until about 500 kph kept it from happening, I can't remember if
it had to be banked as well it's been so long now. Maybe it was FM.

Copperhead310th
06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
1.0 ALL p-40s exploded with out reason past speeds of 400kph. anf i agree with Faust..that bug sucked big time.

The_EDF_Legacy
06-02-2005, 10:32 PM
It could be an issue with the air pressure. I remember hitting the GO-229 at 1600km/h (not kidding!) at high level, but when I got under a certain height (max speed at this height is about 1100km/h) it will spontaneously explode, because the air pressure causes it to disintegrate.

Perhaps you were flying the P-40 really low? I still think it's a glitch though like you said.

NonWonderDog
06-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Oh. It's not mach limited. I really thought it was; it made so much sense. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif So there's a maximum drag value before planes blow up?

How high *were* you, anyway? 1600 km/hr is mach 1.5 at 10,000m!

Jumoschwanz
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
That was fun in the old FB. Since I have always flown the 109 for the most part, I had them on my six enough times.

I remember one well-known and long time IL2 ace on my six when FB first came out, I went into a shallow dive and watched the speed indicator, right on schedule the pursuing and hot-in-pursuit P-40 blew uphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Other planes in the sim have had similiar bugs. Right now I wonder if the bf-110 has one, it's wings come off around 650km/hr in a dive. This really limits it's use for diving ground attacks and zooming bombers. If it broke up at this speed in real life then of course I am all for it. But if it is a bug it would be fun if it was fixed.
Any bf110 freaks out there have any data to clear this up? ONe book I have says a model earlier than the "G" would do 500km/hr at sea level. So if the wings come off at 650 km/hr that is not a he11 of a lot of margin to do any diving or evasive manuevering. Seems like something is screwed up to me.......S!

Jumoschwanz

Lixma
06-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
.....I went into a shallow dive and watched the speed indicator, right on schedule the pursuing and hot-in-pursuit P-40 blew uphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

That's not funny !

I used to fly the v1.0 P-40 almost exclusively for a few months and the sheer terror it bred in you as you chased someone down was unreal.

And then when the v1.1 beta started floating about (IIRC 'the' other long awaited patch) the first thing I checked was the dive behaviour. The bloody thing could do 1000kph before it came apart ! Shame it was reeled back to 700kph for the release candidate; I always heard that diving was the P-40's forte.