PDA

View Full Version : Couple of noob questions :)

VoivodSK
08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi, I'm new around here, I have PF+FB+AEP 3.0v

Now, I'm practicing dog-fighting with the quick mission builder (I'm not new to civilian flight sims however so I can fly and land a plane). I'm flying a BF-109 1941 against a rookie Yak-3 1941.

1. In the rare instances when I managed to get on his tail, I was going pretty much faster than him, and that left me with very little time to shoot before I overshoot. But watching my speed meticulously tends to turn the duel into a slow-paced one. I'm really not sure if the real duels were with such a slow pace? Or I shouldn't really care as long as he's going down? I have yet to enter a multi-plane battle so I'd like to gain a sense of how fast or slow battles are and work towards that.

2. My Messerschmitt tends to stall very often, in one sortie I have probably 5-6 stall recoveries in average. Is the plane itself unstable or am I pulling it too hard? Because the Yak guy manages to pull some nasty turns on me and I should be able to do atleast as he is (?).

Some observations I made this far (for other noobs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif:

- the Yak pilot uses his rudder much more than me, I should practice that.
- It's much better when I'm higher than him. This is because he will spend much more energy (speed) to climb to me than I'm gonna spend to descend to him.
- I should get really close before I shoot. Really close.
- Patience is good.

p.s. I tend to shoot with all I have (both guns) at the same time, are you guys doing the same or am I just a silly noob pressing all the buttons on my HOTAS?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zeus-cat
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
You have discovered why people like this game so much. Each plane has strengths and weaknesses. Some planes are boom and zoom planes (get above an enemy plane so you can dive on them and then zoom up and away before he can attack you), and some are turn and burn fighters (do really well by staying at the same altitude and turn and do other acrobatic maneuvers).

Some planes are easy to stall and others are solid as a rock in flight. Some planes do well up high, while others do better near the ground.

In general, German fighters do not do well in turning dogfights. They are meant to swoop down, hit their opponent and fly away. They will usually take less punishment than their Russian counterparts, so avoid slugging it out with a Russian or American plane.

Save your ammo for good shots. If you have cannons, range is not as much of a factor in terms of killing power as are machine guns. MGs lose effectiveness the farther away the enemy is when you shoot. Cannons will cripple or kill at any range if you can get a hit, but good pilots get in close with any weapon they are using. Set your convergence to a range you like and then fire at the convergence range if possible.

Many people use MGs to find the range and then use a quick burst of cannons to finish off the enemy. Always use short bursts of whatever your guns use to save ammo.

VW-IceFire
08-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Your definitely on the right track and thinking about the right things.

When flying something like a 109 your best bet is to watch your speed but always try and be faster or higher than the guy your fighting. The idea is to drop in from up high, fire a burst, and try and take him down. If you miss then you need to zoom back up and try it again.

You CAN...given the right positioning...take a Yak out of the sky in a single pass or perhaps two or three if need be. If its 1 vs 1 then you can afford a little more time to pummel the target but online and multiplane battles are of course much more fluid.

VoivodSK
08-17-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Some planes are boom and zoom planes (get above an enemy plane so you can dive on them and then zoom up and away before he can attack you), and some are turn and burn fighters (do really well by staying at the same altitude and turn and do other acrobatic maneuvers). [...]In general, German fighters do not do well in turning dogfights. They are meant to swoop down, hit their opponent and fly away.

Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
When flying something like a 109 your best bet is to watch your speed but always try and be faster or higher than the guy your fighting. The idea is to drop in from up high, fire a burst, and try and take him down. If you miss then you need to zoom back up and try it again.

Ah-hah, I was actually flying the BF-109 like a 'turn and burn' plane, engaging in a long pursuit-runs. So 'Boom and zoom' tactics is the way to go... Reflexes and steady hand.

Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Many people use MGs to find the range and then use a quick burst of cannons to finish off the enemy. Always use short bursts of whatever your guns use to save ammo.

I actually memorized the span of his wings onto my crosshair (when he is around 300m), so my method of finding his range is mostly visual. Not sure if that's a good habit. Also, I should set my convergence range at 300 meters...

Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
You CAN...given the right positioning...take a Yak out of the sky in a single pass or perhaps two or three if need be. If its 1 vs 1 then you can afford a little more time to pummel the target but online and multiplane battles are of course much more fluid.

Yeah, Next time I'll set a 3x3 fight, if only so to get a taste of the pace I should get myself accustomed to.

Hey, thanks guys!

Zeus-cat
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I actually memorized the span of his wings onto my crosshair (when he is around 300m), so my method of finding his range is mostly visual. Not sure if that's a good habit. Also, I should set my convergence range at 300 meters...

That is an outstanding idea. I just cheat and use icons.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif