PDA

View Full Version : simulating variations in plane performance

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 04:48 AM
I was thinking about how Oleg determines the flight models for the planes. Does he look at all the data available, make a judgement about which data is the most reliable and use that? Or does he make an average of several sets of data?

This made me think: if he uses mean values, then he could calculate the standard deviation that goes with each mean value. Then each time you fly, get the computer to randomly select values for each performance characteristic (roll rate, climb rate, etc.) from the mean and standard deviation values. That way, the plane would perform slightly differently each time you fly it. Like one day, you could be flying a plane that was set up just right, the next day you could be flying a plane whose mechanic had drunk one beer too many the night before.

What do people think? More realistic, or just more annoying? For all I know, this might already happen. Anyway, just a thought.

¿€¯ *, ¿€¯ *, ¿€¯ ¿¤ (´ ¿¤).

¿€¯ *, ¿€¯ *, µ³ ¿* €ç€ *.

(You will need the Korean character set to view this sig.)

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 04:48 AM
I was thinking about how Oleg determines the flight models for the planes. Does he look at all the data available, make a judgement about which data is the most reliable and use that? Or does he make an average of several sets of data?

This made me think: if he uses mean values, then he could calculate the standard deviation that goes with each mean value. Then each time you fly, get the computer to randomly select values for each performance characteristic (roll rate, climb rate, etc.) from the mean and standard deviation values. That way, the plane would perform slightly differently each time you fly it. Like one day, you could be flying a plane that was set up just right, the next day you could be flying a plane whose mechanic had drunk one beer too many the night before.

What do people think? More realistic, or just more annoying? For all I know, this might already happen. Anyway, just a thought.

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 10:55 AM
This would be a good idea, especially for British Aircraft which were delivered to Russia : some of them were quite old and their performances were far below their performances while out of factory

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Get back up to the top of the message board, you slovenly thread! (that is, BUMP)

Hi, Jeanba, glad you like it. I think it would be interesting. I'm not necessarily talking about huge variations in performance, just enough so that it is noticable. But flying old ex-RAF crates with bits dropping off them could be quite fun!

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Nice idea, the CPU load would more than likely be much too high though /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Unless there was a really clever way to do it on game startup (fine for COOP) as I think changing FM's while on the go in things like Dogfight servers would be a real problem.

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 06:39 PM
JG5_UnKle wrote:
- Nice idea, the CPU load would more than likely be
- much too high though Unless there was a really
- clever way to do it on game startup (fine for COOP)
- as I think changing FM's while on the go in things
- like Dogfight servers would be a real problem.
-
Actually, it would only have to be done at mission loading, but not on the go (on the go, only damages need to change the FM).
Because it would reflect the age, state of repair and maintenance of the aircraft.

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 12:57 AM
How about in the new sim you can get control of the aircraft for example they give you a squadron and you have an alloted numbers of aircraft to that squadron. For example if you use and aircraft who due to time constraints you cannot service properly by the mechanics then you would need to keep using your ride for as long as you may hate to even with some damage affecting the performance of that ride. If the ride is left too long without being serviced the performance might decline. It could be used in the BoB sim by Maddox to re semble real loses encoutered by both the British(specially them) and the attrition faced by the LW Jagdwaffe and Kampffliger during this time. This would greatly improve immersion factor by 10 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Glasses-"I may have four eyes but you only have one wing"

"Kurt Tank is your daddy"

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 01:15 AM
Some neat things:

Yak's political pull with the beuracracy allowed him to have better factories and wood workers than the shy La, and then you can see the effects of the early shoddy La work.

Late Fb109s upgrades were often rebuilds and you should see alot of variation in FM possibly (probably every Fb109 was a unique "kit" the Messerschmitt situation got so bad /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ) . That, and the Finns wrote about their sabotaged aircraft coming from Nazi factories with slave labour.

I would guess USA aircraft would have the least variation, given the level of industry mobilized.

But honestly, this kind of reasoning goes beyond flight simming, and just basic wear and tear from combat flying would be enough. But then you get into Debate about certain sides having worse maintenence ability at one time of the WAR or another.

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 01:56 AM
Not neccesarily like I said if you were allowed to have your squadron with a limit of aircraft and having to sort of manage which aircraft they gave you or you needed to trade in then it wouldn't be much of a problem. Lie 8 aircraft and 2 of reserve that sort of thing. I remember Jane's F-15 had that sort of thing and even the Old ATF had that same form of rustic form even rendering the aircraft completely unserivceable. You couldn't fly it anymore siply because you have left the aircraft be left to slowly decay without having any maintanence done like alloted maintance hours that you use them to fix your aircraft.

Glasses-"I may have four eyes but you only have one wing"

"Kurt Tank is your daddy"

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
One thing which may work was something done for Digital Integrations F-16 (anyone remember...?)

If you took battle damage you lost certain abilities like LANTIRN pod damage etc.

Maybe a simple way would be to have certain equipment damamged or missing like MW50 or de-rated engines etc.

If as mentioned above this was done at mission loading then CPU load would not be so severe. I think it would be a nice "offline" option but in a Dogfight as I said above I don't think it would work.

If you wanted variability you would still have to load this "variable" for EVERY aircraft in the Dogfight planeset. OK once loaded it would be there BUT would still need doing initially. If you changed aircraft several times though you would still have the "same" setup. If you left the server and "re-loaded" then it might be different but I just don't see it happening in FB IMHO.

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg