PDA

View Full Version : CD Drive issues....

LEBillfish
11-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi All;

The problem I have long encountered continues, and I'm not quite sure what to look for to correct it.

I have 2 CD drives one a Plextor CD R/W, the other simply a Sony reader at 52x. For IL2 I utilize the read only 52x.

What the problem is, is that as the disc continually spins up in the game, the game stutters and lag is encountered as resources are used to read the CD....It will spin up roughly every 30 seconds (guessing).

My system however is more then adaquate. P4 2.53ghz, 533fsb, 1.02Gig of pc3200 ram, GEF4200 8x 128mb, cable, 430w ps, etc....More so I turn off most of the background programs when playing.

Now I'm not sure if the CD reader is spinning up so often thinking it needs to check what is in it, or perhaps an autorun issue, or if the game itself is telling it to.....I also cannot understand why it would bog the system down so much.

Any idea of where or what I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

LEBillfish
11-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi All;

The problem I have long encountered continues, and I'm not quite sure what to look for to correct it.

I have 2 CD drives one a Plextor CD R/W, the other simply a Sony reader at 52x. For IL2 I utilize the read only 52x.

What the problem is, is that as the disc continually spins up in the game, the game stutters and lag is encountered as resources are used to read the CD....It will spin up roughly every 30 seconds (guessing).

My system however is more then adaquate. P4 2.53ghz, 533fsb, 1.02Gig of pc3200 ram, GEF4200 8x 128mb, cable, 430w ps, etc....More so I turn off most of the background programs when playing.

Now I'm not sure if the CD reader is spinning up so often thinking it needs to check what is in it, or perhaps an autorun issue, or if the game itself is telling it to.....I also cannot understand why it would bog the system down so much.

Any idea of where or what I should look for?

Thanks in advance.