PDA

View Full Version : Oleg how hard would this be?

Bearcat99
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
An Air Traffic Controller slot that could be enabled in the config. If someone were in this slot they would be in the center of the map with map icons... even if the server were set for no icons. They would only see white icons though... no color ones.. they would have to use direction alt and speed to determine friend from foe.

Bearcat99
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
An Air Traffic Controller slot that could be enabled in the config. If someone were in this slot they would be in the center of the map with map icons... even if the server were set for no icons. They would only see white icons though... no color ones.. they would have to use direction alt and speed to determine friend from foe.

Longjocks
03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I always thought that would be cool. One controller for each side. There's a combo RTS/action-fantasy game that tried essentially the same thing, I believe. I just can't remember the name.

Wolf_Fangs1381
03-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Hello Guys,

What would be the point? I think people would rather fight it out than be an ATC. Would be awful boring is you ask me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd like to see an "emergency landing" option in "tab\control tower". Would be great for coop & campaigns. So when you had battle damage it would stop non-damaged aircraft from landing & allow damaged aircraft to land first. Could even be program it for the AI so when they were damaged they could land immediately. Don't know what it would take to add this option,but I think it would be cool. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif =S=

Longjocks
03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Let me start by agreeing that few would be interested in taking up the role. Also, I simply, and realisticly, don't see it being implemented in this game. But for the sake of argument there are a few things that could make the role more interesting.

On top of the ATC role, said player can act as a supply officer. This could go hand-in-hand with the suggestion to be able to rearm and refuel. There could be several supply depots on the map and the player has to set up a route for convoys to travel from them to the airfields. If the convoys don't make it to a particular airfield then its ammo and fuel supply can be exhausted and flyers have to choose alternate airfields to rearm. If a depot gets taken out, then other depots can be assigned to take up the slack, but that of course extends a convoy's time out in the open to be attacked.

This is by no means meant to represent a dynamic campaign. It's just a different take on the current co-op style of play based on objectives and supply/demand.

Other things that could be included to make it interesting for the ATC player is to allow him to view the action from inside any allied cockpit. Might make it more fun to watch some action. I'm sure there are also other ideas that could be implemented to make this a fuller, more interesting role.

Philipscdrw
03-08-2005, 06:33 AM
I would enjoy being ATC online - my flying skills suck anyway, even after 3.5 years playing Il-2...

I doubt that letting the ATC enter the cockpit of Allied planes would work, though.

What would be excellent would be a simulation of the RAF operations room, for BoB - rather than a map with icons, a 3d simulated map with little A-frame markers being slid around by WAAFs...

Question is, would the online pilots listen to ATC?

stubby
03-08-2005, 07:59 AM
This role could be done as it exists currently by simply expanding the current set of options under tab-ground control. The AI already knows all so it's an obvious marriage. The key would be to create a believable real-time voice ala what they do in EA sport games with color commentary. To make a human controllable ATC option for the 5 people in all of the Il2 community willing to do it would be a waste of time and resources. For example - rear gunners. It's an option but I rarely see any human man a gunner station during a coop. Not saying nobody doesn't but in the some thousand+ online coops I've participated in via HL, I could count on one hand the number of times somebody actually manned a rear gunner slot in an il2, stuka, 110, etc.. The human ATC would be a cool feature but it would rarely get utilized.

No601_Swallow
03-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I think that in squadrons lots of people would be interested in taking on the role - particularly in "FR" inter-squadron bunfights.

Nice suggestion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bearcat99
03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
This is where I am going...... It would be a nice option. Each sortie guys take turns sitting in the chair. Basically it would be like haveing selective map icons.

Philipscdrw
03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
GCI would be very cool. I would use it.

I think more people should make use of Teamspeak when flying - hardly anyone uses it.

Aaron_GT
03-11-2005, 04:06 AM
When playing Warbids 2 often there was a rotating GCI - someone who wanted a break from the intensity of flying itself for a few minutes. Typically the map did not provide plane icons for the people in the air and so someone on the ground feeding information about raids forming was very useful.

LEBillfish
03-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I agree this would be a nice feature, and have had the privledge of performing this function in RB3d, where in formal events one player per squadron is asked to sit on the field and act as C.O.....Sending out orders before take off (remember no radio's so was not allowed to use chat)....and had to wait to see how many returned, also communicating with other squadron C.O.'s as though having land lines.

It's nerve racking....yet here, and with WWII technology utilized as the benchmark, would be an fun thing to do.

As a side note I think we often forget about the other "fun" yet as equally testing jobs flying....What if we had PBY's, and you'd get to go out and "pick up" downed pilots in the pacific...WHat if we had scout planes, little armament so HAD to be sneaky to work as a spotter and director of strikes....So many supposedly less glorious things, that can be just as exciting, and just if not more so rewarding.

mazexx
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
He he, I would also find this role interesting - just as Philipscdrw says, I've been flying IL2 now and then since the demo and I still get shot up most of the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The data is already there (the server sure knows where all the planes are), as well as the map. The thing to put some work in is which planes to see, how to color code them, and a simple order tool.

Lets dream. how about this:

Friendly planes are most of the the time color coded "friendly" (there where lots of helpers in WWII era control rooms shuffling markers). Pilots normally reported their positions regularly, or rather had a set flight path so that their positions where calcualated between radio contacts. IF a radar is present and not knocked out (high prio targets in the first part of the Battle of Britain as we all know) - then the dots will also be at their "real" positions. OK the radars where not so good at tracking small formations but... Enemy contacts will be present as white markers if a radar is present or color coded when spotted if the pilots report them in.

This could be done with simple key combinations like "press F9 once for each spotted figher (F10 for bombers) and then the direction if desired for direction by pressing numbers in the num pad, finish of by the distance in km if desired. The result will be a generated "text string" like "2 fighters spotted at 3 o'clock - distance 3 km". This could be done with 4 key presses - F9 twice (two fighters), numpad 3 (direction), numpad 3 (distance). After that you send the message as usual. After the first press on F9 the message starts to be concatenated by showing "1 fighter " in the text box that will appear.

If no radar is present and no one has reported any hostiles all the ATC will see is the apporximate positions of friendly aircraft. Some random enemy planes could appear (spotted by ships, friendly troops or lookout WAF girls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

The ATC may click on a friendly aircraft and a waypoint line will appear - when the ATC clicks again a message is generated directed to that pilot with the simple message "Fly to L4", maybe with the additions selected from a "drop down" with some intelligence, if you click on an enemy bomber after clicking a friendly the string defaults to "Fly to F4 and engage hostile bombers".

OK - this may seem overambtious, but its really no THAT much work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The suggestion is naturally for BoB and not IL2 as it's new functionalty...

/mazex

Aaron_GT
03-13-2005, 03:15 AM
" lookout WAF girls"

That would be the Observation Corps, a quasi-civilian organisation of mostly men not able to serve in active roles. I used to have a WW2 Observation Corps beret, but I have no idea where that is now. They used combinations of eyesight and also the pre-radar technology of sound location. (Just prior to radar becoming operational a series of large concrete structures, acoustic mirrors, were also built in the south east of England).

Some representation of the WAAF would be nice of course ;-)

mazexx
03-13-2005, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
" lookout WAF girls"

That would be the Observation Corps, a quasi-civilian organisation of mostly men not able to serve in active roles. I used to have a WW2 Observation Corps beret, but I have no idea where that is now. They used combinations of eyesight and also the pre-radar technology of sound location. (Just prior to radar becoming operational a series of large concrete structures, acoustic mirrors, were also built in the south east of England).

Some representation of the WAAF would be nice of course ;-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for my mistake - WAF was the american counterpart - right? And as you correctly state, the purpose of WAAF was to a very small extent that of identifying enemy planes...

96th_Nightshifter
03-13-2005, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stubby:
For example - rear gunners. It's an option but I rarely see any human man a gunner station during a coop. Not saying nobody doesn't but in the some thousand+ online coops I've participated in via HL, I could count on one hand the number of times somebody actually manned a rear gunner slot in an il2, stuka, 110, etc.. The human ATC would be a cool feature but it would rarely get utilized. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slightly off topic but just to add to this, I agree that perhaps not a lot of people actually do this but have you ever flown in a coop in say a B-25 and had all gunner positions manned by humans (with comms on)? It's actually really fun and adds a good bit of immersion - think of it this way - you screw up and its not just you that goes down - its all of you. Great team building exercise - you have no choice but to work together or its game over.