PDA

View Full Version : PC HELP

frog7
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi Guys well just like a U BOAT im in Trouble...IV got a Dell Dimension 8250...Its two year old ...and the {CASE FAN} is on its way out...iv tried DELL in my own Country the UK But ....get this they dont build them anymore the Fan that is...i need the case fan and the shorud...Any body got any where in the UK i can get one..i was told to deal with the US but iv never gone into this typ of thing before....i like the old way of Monkey See Monkey DO...thank for any help on this but i think im in trouble....
Frog7

Lovo_Kasistan
05-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Assuming that you want a standard 80mm fan there shouldn't be a problem in finding another one, just go to the next shop that sells computer parts and fetch one.

Supr
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
take the old fan to a shop, they will match it for you. 80mm is standard, but it could be bigger or smaller.

If its got a funky connector, just plug it into the psu, or splice the old connector onto the wire.

quillan
05-03-2005, 04:25 PM
There are even adapters from one plug to another sometimes. I'd expect it to be a normal 80mm case fan, though, with a 4 pin plug.

frog7
05-03-2005, 04:26 PM
http://tinypic.com/4u8kkg this is what i need guys.

frog7
05-03-2005, 04:33 PM
See The End of the wire its a 3 Pin plug..

dquock
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Hmmm. I don't have any Dells close by that I could open up. The best bet would be to take it to a local computer shop to see what they can do. It's possible that you can remove the fan and put in a new one in the housing. The 3-pin plug looks slightly different. I'm going to assume that plugs into the motherboard.

If the housing doesn't have a conversion plug, then it's still possible to get a "standard" fan and plug the power into a free power plug from the PSU. (Depending on cord length and all that.)

Pretty much what Supr said. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dquock
05-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh, I did a search online for "buy case fan for dell dimension 8250" and I got a hit:

One store (http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=5835)

There might be some more if you dig around. $19.00 US is about 10 quid, if I have my conversion correct. I'm not sure what shipping is or if they do it internationally. That might be a little pricey for a replacement fan. I think a standard 80mm fan runs for fairly cheap.

Best of luck!

Tyke909
05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Ok, taking a look at your photo that appears to be a fairly standard sized case fan installed in a custom housing. If you look at the picture you can see the rubber stays they use to secure the fan in the housing and the green clip which is part of the upper air direction housing.
While standard fans have 4 pin plugs to go onto a 4 pin header this one has one of Dells little specials. With a bit of common sense and a flat bladed watchmakers type screwdriver it is pretty easy to swap the plugs over.

You should be able to get another fan and fit it so long as you know how to use tools.

Slingn
05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
The fan will come out. Just take it apart, carefully. You shouldn't have to force anything, and you shouldn't have to worry about the wire either. Its easy enough to just plug the fan directly into the power supply. But there may be some sort of sensor on the mobo. sometimes if the mobo doesn€t sense the fan is spinning, it may beep and turn off. If that€s the case, you may need to splice the wire (if you cant find an adapter, which is not likely considering what the fan looks like).

Good luck

Oh, and dont get any fancy adjustable or lighted fan. That may suck too much power, especially if you have to run it to the mobo.