PDA

View Full Version : Wow, no pauses or microstutters with......

JG51Beolke
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Installing PF on a seperate drive. I had installed PF on my Dhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifrive, which was an extended on my C. I figured let me try something. Since PF had to share the drive with the pagefile and the operating system, the drive would have to do many functions. So I uninstalled FB/AEP/PF and installed it on a seperate drive but on the same IDE Channel. The result was absolutely no pauses, and very, very rare microstutters when the speech loaded. Unfortunately, I don't know much about how drives operate, but I figured it would stand to reason. Just thought I'd pass my observation along. Keep in mind though, my system never had a really bad pause problem. Mostly, it was when other files would have to load, like explosions and sounds.

Thanks in advance..........

JG51Beolke
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Installing PF on a seperate drive. I had installed PF on my Dhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifrive, which was an extended on my C. I figured let me try something. Since PF had to share the drive with the pagefile and the operating system, the drive would have to do many functions. So I uninstalled FB/AEP/PF and installed it on a seperate drive but on the same IDE Channel. The result was absolutely no pauses, and very, very rare microstutters when the speech loaded. Unfortunately, I don't know much about how drives operate, but I figured it would stand to reason. Just thought I'd pass my observation along. Keep in mind though, my system never had a really bad pause problem. Mostly, it was when other files would have to load, like explosions and sounds.

Thanks in advance..........

rodion_zero
11-04-2004, 05:44 PM
There is a good explanation for this, and FALCON4+SPx players are familiar with this solution. One reason why there is stuttering if you install a sim in the same drive where Windows resides, is that the sim shares the same hard disk where Windows places the "swap space" by default, and whenever Windows is forced to use some virtual memory, stutters occur. Thus it helps if you install your sim in another drive, AWAY from any virtual memory allocated drives (usually C). It does improve the occassional stutters, as proven in the FALCON4+SPx arena.

-RODION

T_O_A_D
11-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Its a good idea!

I have all my games on a seperate drive for the same reason. Plus if you have to reformat all your games are still intact and backed up.

Some games will run out of the folder. Some won't the ones that won't you just reload in C: drive again then delete the root folder then your original will run again now that it has the registry strings again.

Another trick is Install Hyperlobby then copy its folder to another loaction. The first Install of it you set up for IL2FB+AEP Just rename the Hyper Icon to IL2FB+AEP on your desktop.

With your copy of Hyper you can make a new Desktop ICON and Name IT Pacific Fighters The start it holding control shift when you connect and have it locate your Pacific Fighters exe.

You can go one more step and set it all up again and make one for PF standalone.

Now before you go to Hyper you just start the one for the game your intending on playing. Saves a small amount of time when trying to play different versions of IL2.

bird_brain
11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Wow..great info guys. I was wondering why a I kept having occasional stutters even though it runs great most of the time. I am going to load up on a seperate drive and see if it solves the issue.

I already took care of my video issues when I installed my ATI 9800 Pro 2 days ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JG51Beolke
11-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I hope it helps. I usualy try and pass on what I find and what works. I just tinker around and go with what works as well as take the great advice from these boards.

Menthol_moose
11-05-2004, 06:46 AM
I got rid of my pauses and studders by upgrading to 1g of ram :P

Waldo.Pepper
11-05-2004, 09:17 AM
If I may add, I not only moved PF to another drive, but this drive is a raid array made of up of two 80gig drives and it nearly doubles throughput of data. Give it a try.

mortoma
11-05-2004, 12:11 PM
I also feel that having your games on your main C: but your swap file on another drive is equally effective. I have FB+AEP+PF on my main boot drive but my swap file on an extra 40gig drive I use mostly for storage. Works pretty well, I get few stutters.