PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on an old issue from the mouth of an ACE..

Bearcat99
08-03-2005, 06:31 AM
The following is an exerpt from "Yeager"... the autobiograpy of Chuck Yeager written by himself and Leo Janos.... as a bit of background.. the following is actually a quote from Maj. Gen. Albert G. Boyd who was Yeager's boss when he was test flying at Edwards. A North Korean pilot named Kim Sok Ho defected to the U.S. and he brought along a Mig-15 with him which the Air Force was drooling to get thier hands on (He got $100,000 U.S. for his troubles... in 1950 something $$)..... Yeager was the choice to test the plane out to see what it could do.

On our final day in Okinawa, there was an amusing incident between Chuck and two combat pilots who had flown in our Sabre chase planes from Korea. One of them.. a Lt.Col. asked Chuck why we didn't attempt to dogfight the Mig with the Sabre. Yeager told him that the outcome of a dogfight depended more on a pilot's experience than an airplane's performance. The combat pilot just didnt believe it so Chuck asked him if he would like to fly in the Mig 15 and dogfight Yeager, flying in a Sabre. The colonel agreed and Yeager checked him out on the plane's systems and off they went. Chuck easily got on the Migs tail and stuck there. They landed and switched planes, Chuck taking off in the Mig and the colonel flying his own Sabre. Again Yeager waxed his tail unmercifully. When they landed, the colonel was extremely abashed. He said to Chuck, "I didn't think the pilot mattered that much." Chuck grinned and told him, "The pilot with the most experience is gonna whup your @ss Colonel, no matter what you're flying.. it's that simple." That colonel became known among fighter pilots because the story of how Yeager had beaten him really got around. But he lost to the best pilot I've ever seen fly.

I thought that was kind of interesting. The book is great by the way.... loaded with good stuff from WW2 and beyond. I'd love to see a movie made about Yeager... what a fascinating guy. I won't miss the next opportunity to see him.

ClnlSandersLite
08-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Good stuff.

han freak solo
08-03-2005, 06:58 AM
That book is pretty good.

I had the same opinions as that colonel in my teens and early twenties. But, it was centered around motorcycles. After some time on motocross tracks and racing through the Sam Houston National Forest, I learned the truth.

SheerLuckHolmes
08-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I believe I have an old copy of Reader's digest where is a long story 'bout Yeager and this same incident. Also how he was shot down etc.(It must be somewhere in my attic under a few cubicmeters of trash)
Something is told about Yeager in the movie The Right Stuff... movie about spaceconquest. Unfortunately nothing 'bout propplanes. Just stupid jets and rockets (good film though)

SheerLuck Holmes

Bearcat99
08-03-2005, 01:48 PM
The time period in The Right Stuff is actually where this story came from. Yeager and Bud Anderson still talk every chance they get to this very day. They were wingmen in WW2..... Bud flew "Old Crow" and Yeager flew "Glamorous Glen".

LeadSpitter_
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
great read now only if it was true here.

Atomic_Marten
08-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah pilot experience matters big deal.

VW-IceFire
08-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
Yeah pilot experience matters big deal.
I think the lesson is to stop blaming the plane and start focusing on your own pilot skill.

tagTaken2
08-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by SheerLuckHolmes:
Something is told about Yeager in the movie The Right Stuff... movie about spaceconquest. Unfortunately nothing 'bout propplanes. Just stupid jets and rockets (good film though)

SheerLuck Holmes

The book it was based on is *excellent*. Just the passage where Wolfe talks about Yeager's good ol' boy drawl permeating civil cockpits is a classic. If you haven't read it run, don't walk to the bookstore.

bird_brain
08-03-2005, 09:06 PM
There is another book to read as well as Chuck Yeager's ..... "To Fly and to Fight" by Col. Bud Anderson.

In both books, they talk in depth about each other & their WWII Mustang experiences, among other things. I just finished watching a special on The Military Channel about the Mustang and they were both interviewed. Two truely awesome pilots. General Yeager might be a "Good Ole Boy", but he can sure fly the he11 out of a fighter!

tagTaken2
08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bird_brain:
There are 2 better books than that to read....

"Yeager, an autobiography" by Chuck Yeager and
"To Fly and to Fight" by Col. Bud Anderson.
General Yeager might be a "Good Ole Boy", but he can sure fly the he11 out of a fighter!

I moved recently and threw out his autobiography because it had been read to tatters, but haven't seen Anderson's. Incidentally that wasn't a sneer at Yeager's background. In the context of the book, it's an acknowledgement of his standing as "the most righteous of all the possessors of the right stuff."

wayno7777
08-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey BC, I picked up that book at the WW2 weekend for a buck. Hardcover, I'm up to page 143. Great so far!!!...

LEXX_Luthor
08-03-2005, 09:55 PM
SheerLuckHolmes::
The Right Stuff... movie about spaceconquest. Unfortunately nothing 'bout propplanes. Just stupid jets and rockets (good film though)
That's why Yeager flies stupid rocket jets and we fly the UBI. Way to go Sherluck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Enforcer572005
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM
yeah, chucks book is a must read....more stuff than you can list. the right stuff is also a great book about pilots, lots of info. as far as ww2 flying, andersons book is one of the best. the adventures stateside, toruring motorists with P39s, etc, is priceless.

while chuck was down in france, he worked wiht the resistance and blew up alot of stuff since he had worked alot wiht explosives in his youth. im really surprised he hasnt had a movie about him yet. he has a bit part in the right stuff as the old bartender in Pancho's. his only line is "whiskey mister?"

anderson was involved alot with EA's WW2 Fighters, which died early since it was so limited. I think IL2 is alot more realistic than it was myself.

and that mig can be seen in the USAF museum in Dayton.

IDF_Raam
08-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
The time period in The Right Stuff is actually where this story came from. Yeager and Bud Anderson still talk every chance they get to this very day. They were wingmen in WW2..... Bud flew "Old Crow" and Yeager flew "Glamorous Glen".

IDF_Raam
08-04-2005, 03:15 AM

I have their books - they were in the same unit but they were no wingmen.

Bearcat99
08-04-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by wayno7777:
Hey BC, I picked up that book at the WW2 weekend for a buck. Hardcover, I'm up to page 143. Great so far!!!...

Which one Yeager? I got an autographed hard copy of To Fly and Fight from the man himself there. That was great wasnt it?

Atomic_Marten
08-04-2005, 06:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wayno7777:

Which one Yeager? I got an autographed hard copy of To Fly and Fight from the man himself there. That was great wasnt it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Indeed... you're lucky man BC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I have put this book on my list...

Hoarmurath
08-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Curious, we have some people around here that seem very fond of pilots quotes, but they don't seem to be very interested in that one...

telsono
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
If I remember correctly from that book, Yeager actually liked flying the P-39. I beleive he knew how to stunt that aircraft quite well and even took the place of a female aerial acrobat in her P-39 in an airshow, in Pennsylvania I think it was, could have been Philadelphia.

Bearcat99
08-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I think that was Jackie Cochran..... Yeager is unique. This guy was a bird in human form. He was made to fly... the guy had eyes that were phenominal.... He was arguably one of the best if not the best pilot America ever produced.... and if I am not mistaken he still flies to this day.

telsono
08-05-2005, 10:50 AM
There was an incident during the invasion of Poland that also illustrates pilot skill. Por. Pil. Jan Falkowski was ferrying a PWS-26 acrobatic trainer (similar to an AVRO Tutor). This aircraft could have a single fuselage mounted .30 browning MG, but I don't know if this aircraft was armed or had ammo. He was bounced by 3 Bf-109's at low altitude. In the insuing battle one of the 109's crashed and the others gave up the battle due to either low fuel or ammo. Falkowski made it to his base with minimal damage to his aircraft.
Charles Lamb the Swordfish pilot (To War in a Stringbag) developed tactics to combat faster fighter aircraft with his aircraft. Using a speed lower than their stall speeds as well as a series of maneuvers he was able to change the tables and come upon the tails of his opponents.

StellarRat
08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
There is a limit to the skill vs. aircraft thing. I doubt that a WW II ace in a P-51 would stand much of chance against a minimally trained pilot in a F-16 with AARAMs. He'd be dead before he saw the F-16.

x__CRASH__x
08-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Chuck Yeager still owes me $40!

That moocher!

NorrisMcWhirter
08-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Hoarmurath:
Curious, we have some people around here that seem very fond of pilots quotes, but they don't seem to be very interested in that one...

I was thinking the same thing. Dismissing Clostermann is a fine example of that....I'm only speculating, of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, but maybe he is an allied pilot who just doesn't fit in with their viewpoint.

Ta,
Norris

wayno7777
08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wayno7777:

Which one Yeager? I got an autographed hard copy of To Fly and Fight from the man himself there. That was great wasnt it?
Yes, Yeager's book. Some great stuff about him and Anderson, also Bob Hoover...

If I remember correctly from that book, Yeager actually liked flying the P-39.
Yeager loved the P-39... Am also reading Bud Fortier's book "An Ace of the Eighth", anther good one...