PDA

View Full Version : Request for faster flattops

joeap
11-22-2004, 08:05 AM
A request to the 1C crew, could we get CVs to go a bit faster? This is esp. bad for the CVEs which can only go 10 knots. I am sure some of them, esp. the early cargo ship conversions were really slow, but as it is none of them can go over 10 knots. It is not realistic I think plus makes it very difficult to take off planes like Corsairs with heavier loads (and the UK did fly Corsairs off CVEs before the US). I also understand (and my little experience with the FMB bears this out) the the bgger CVs can't goover 20 knots. That is certainly slwoer than IRL. However, if there is a reason they can't go faster, then let us know. Otherwise please consider allowing faster speeds.

joeap
11-22-2004, 08:05 AM
A request to the 1C crew, could we get CVs to go a bit faster? This is esp. bad for the CVEs which can only go 10 knots. I am sure some of them, esp. the early cargo ship conversions were really slow, but as it is none of them can go over 10 knots. It is not realistic I think plus makes it very difficult to take off planes like Corsairs with heavier loads (and the UK did fly Corsairs off CVEs before the US). I also understand (and my little experience with the FMB bears this out) the the bgger CVs can't goover 20 knots. That is certainly slwoer than IRL. However, if there is a reason they can't go faster, then let us know. Otherwise please consider allowing faster speeds.

IV_JG51_Razor
11-22-2004, 08:33 AM
I would like to second this request! The CVEs were usually capable of around 15 to 18 Kts in real life, however, in the interest of game play, I would suggest that they be allowed to go at least 20 Kts due to the absence of a catapult.

The Essex class fleet carriers could make 33 Kts, yet for some reason, in this game they are restricted to 20 Kts, while the old Lex and Saratoga can each go 30 Kts.

With no wind modeled, it's a good compromise to realism, bumping the speeds of the carriers up a bit. Thank you.

MBot
11-22-2004, 08:45 AM
I think they got the speeds right.

The CVEs make 35 kph ( out of my head ) wich is about 20 knots.

The Essex goes 56 kph IIRC wich is about 31 kt.

Sounds good if you ask me. Btw, the speedbar only goes in 10 kts/mph/kph intervals, so don't trust it too much.

joeap
11-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Well I better check that out, thanks.

MBot
11-22-2004, 08:54 AM
You are welcome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

plumps_
11-22-2004, 09:09 AM
CVEs can already go faster than 10 knots in PF. You can edit the waypoint speed in the FMB (View > Object > Waypoint). It will accept up to 35 km/h for CVEs, that's more than 19 knots. Most of the bigger carriers will go as fast as 63 km/h.

p1ngu666
11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
aprently, landing without wind was scary on the iccle ones. in a barracuda book he was teh lso on a iccle ship for a while, and 17knots no wind 2 f4f/f6f i cant remmber, damaged there gear on landing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

IV_JG51_Razor
11-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Mbot, you are exactly right. I didn't do the math. 35 Kph (which is as fast as you can get the CVEs to go in the FMB) is almost 19 Kts, and 56 Kph is exactly 30 Kts (which is as fast as you can get the Essex class boats to go), and 63 Kph is almost 34 Kts ( which is as fast as you can get the Lex and Sara to go in the FMB). Unfortunately, the fact remains that, in the absence of any wind in the game, and the lack of catapults, it's very difficult (if not impossible) to get any aircraft with any kind of usable loadout off the decks of the CVEs.

I still think that the speeds for the Essex class CVs and the CVEs should be bumped up a notch in the interest of game play. In RL, there were very few days when flight ops could not be conducted due to lack of wind, although it DID happen.

The conversion for Kts to Kph is 1.8532 for those who are interested. Mph to Kph is 1.6093.

Tooz_69GIAP
11-23-2004, 04:36 AM
From the Sartoga, I can get an IL-2T with at least 75% fuel and torpedo off the deck, and back on it, with the ship going 50kmh. I'd say that's a useful load.

I can also get Corsairs up with heavy loads, and bombers (A-20, B-25, Beaufighter) with reasonable loads.

Best take off procedure seems to be Rad fully open, landing flaps down, fuel mix to 120% (if possible), then rev up 110% with boost/WEP, etc, and away you go!! You just have to be real careful not to jerk the stick around when you come off the end of the deck!!