PDA

View Full Version : How can you takeoff in a B-25 Mitchell?

Dutch60
08-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Landing is (almost) no problem but a takeoff in the B-25 is (for me) extremely difficult.

As far as I can see the nose-wheel keeps moving after I press tail-wheel lock, my guess is that this does lock the nose-wheel for the B-25, but the nose-wheel keeps on moving after the lock.
So it€s nearly impossible to takeoff in this plane.
I hope there is some pro pilot among you IL-2 pilot that can tell me the trick to this problem.

Mind you I am using 4.01m FM and I do know how and can do an almost perfect takeoff and landing in almost any plane including carrier landings, using my full CH products HOTAS and Pedals setup.

So the real question is there something wrong with the 4.01m FM or the nose-wheel lock on the B-25?

A NTRK track file of a perfect B-25 takeoff and landing would be a real wonder that I will study very carefully!

No auto pilot tracks please.

RAF74_Poker
08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
What exactly is happening ? is it pulling drastically to one side ?
Do you have both engines started ?, do you have both engines mapped ?

If only one engine is responding to the throttle, then it will pull to the non engined side.
If you can take off in a P-39, P-38, A-20 you can take off in a B-25.

Check your mapping for engines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dutch60
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by RAF74_Poker:
What exactly is happening ? is it pulling drastically to one side ?
Do you have both engines started ?, do you have both engines mapped ?

If only one engine is responding to the throttle, then it will pull to the non engined side.
If you can take off in a P-39, P-38, A-20 you can take off in a B-25.

Check your mapping for engines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It pulling drastically to the left!
Yes both engines started and selected!

The A-20 as you say is also a twin engine plane and although difficult this is no problem.

Did you already try a B-25 takeoff it?

RAF74_Poker
08-31-2005, 01:50 PM
rudder pedals? ... and if so, do you have toe brakes programmed ?

Dutch60
08-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by RAF74_Poker:
rudder pedals? ... and if so, do you have toe brakes programmed ?

Yes I have pedals CH Pro!
Yes left and right toe brakes programmed using the CH Manager!

Fighterduck
08-31-2005, 02:14 PM
it only happens when you are full of fuel with 3x 3000lb bombs on a very short run way. It can be because you pull the joystick for takeoff but your b25 doesn't have the right speed to takeoff...enought speed but not the right and the end of the run way is close so you have to take off.
When your wheels loose the contact with the ground
dont pull hard to take off but let the plane take some speed. if it start to turn somewhere use pedals but very carefully: make little corrections.
Takeoff with b25 can be difficult only on short run way....try with a much longer for practice.

Dutch60
08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
WAHOO found it! no wheel lock http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Thanks for al the help and the nice little track.
I would specially like to thank WTE_Vexx on the SimHQ forum for the no wheel lock option this did the trick!
Now I can very easily keep it on the takeoff runway nice and straight!

VW-IceFire
08-31-2005, 08:34 PM
All I can say is throttle up slowly and use rudder. Thats what I do...B-25 is a joy to fly. As medium bombers go.