PDA

View Full Version : CO-OP Question

Segwin
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
A real noob question: Is it possible to have two pilots, online, in the same plane? One as a pilot and one as a gunner perhaps?

Segwin
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
A real noob question: Is it possible to have two pilots, online, in the same plane? One as a pilot and one as a gunner perhaps?

X32Wright
03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
On a COOP, if you fly a BOMBER plane, you can SWITCH your position by pressing a KEY (mine is C) to switch pilot and gunner positions WHILE you are in the game. it will CYCLE through the positions when you press the SWITCH bomber/GUNNER key.

ZappaTime
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Segwin:
A real noob question: Is it possible to have two pilots, online, in the same plane? One as a pilot and one as a gunner perhaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! I do online stints as regularly as I can with a friend - we've flown many times including me as pilot and he as rear gunner, or vice versa in the same plane, amazing really to think there's 5000 miles between the pilot and gunner - I'm in UK and my mate is in New Mexico, USA!
You could crew a bomber with you and your friends, any shortfall to fill the bomber and the seat slot(s) gets filled with an A.I. gunner (or the pilot), and as X32Wright says pressing the 'C' key (default) will let you hop into any A.I. slot - if you start as the pilot though, hopping into an A.I gunner slot leaves you still flying the plane as well, so beware!

norton1974
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes it is, I dont know all the flyable bombers but a friend and i flew in a SBD together. That was back in pacific fighters, but it will work in a coop game.

Segwin
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Great, thanks much!

When you start as the pilot off line and switch to the bomber position what path does the AI pilot follow? Seems that when I switch seats I feel the plane taking a different flight path than the one I left it on.

I got a lot of catching up to do.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Offline the AI pilot takes over when you switch to gunner and he follows the waypoints of the mission.

Segwin
03-24-2009, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Offline the AI pilot takes over when you switch to gunner and he follows the waypoints of the mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that include air speed as well as altitude too?

Zeus-cat
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
The AI pilots will follow the waypoints the mission builder created.

If you intend on letting the AI fly your plane you MUST hit all the waypoints before turning your aircraft over to the AI. You have to fly within 2 km or so (I forget the actual distance) of the waypoint. If you fly to far away the AI pilot will go back to the first "missed" waypoint once you jump into the gunner seat. There are exceptions to this rule, but if your AI controlled plane wants to fly off in an odd direction it is because you missed a waypoint or two.

danjama
03-24-2009, 05:08 PM
It's worth pointing out that missions that have not been built by a user will normally have a default altitude and speed for the autopilot to take.

Tully__
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Offline the AI pilot takes over when you switch to gunner and he follows the waypoints of the mission... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...if you have automatic autopilot switching turned on. If it's off, you remain in control of the aircraft. In the controls screen, this control is called "Toggle Level Autopilot". When on, if you leave a position it turns on AI control for that position and turns off AI control for the new crew position you move to. When off, you must turn autopilot/AI Control on and off manually when leaving or arriving in a crew position.

Online, only the person who starts in the pilot position can fly the plane and when you leave the pilot's position the AI will not take over. On most of the bigger bombers you can use the "Level Stabilizer" control to keep the plane flying straight and level while you're operating the bomb sight or manning a gun position, but it wont fly the waypoints, only keep the wings level.
An online player who starts in a gunner position can not switch to pilot or bomb aimer position.

In dogfight mode, one player per aircraft so you have to fly and shoot (or let the AI do the gunner positions).