PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Cyborg FFB any good?

DD_crash
10-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Due to X65 not being FFB I am toying with the idea of using one with the X52. Any thoughts? I want to be able to use Win 7 in the future so MSFFB isnt an option.

Extreme_One
10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
I used a Saitek Cyborg FFB for a long while and ended up disappointed by the way the stick became sticky in its travel. And the trigger is a bit flimsy and actually snapped off after a while.

There are some recommendations in this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2731072497)

Pudfark
10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I use a MSFFB...I also own two of the Cyborg EVO FFB...I do not recommend that particular stick..it does not have a good "feel" to it and it gets "hotter than a two dollar pistol" pretty quick...have always wondered if it was going to melt internally...I really like my Saitek Peddals though....I have no other experience with any other Saitek products....

Mr_Zooly
10-10-2009, 11:07 AM
aside from heat issue mine has done me well for quite a few years.

squareusr
10-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Sure the best FFB stick for it's price, but that might be related to the fact that it is the only one available. I've used one until i replaced it with an integrated full-size (or more likely: oversize) pedal/stick combo and i found little reason to complain about it. It's not as good as an MSFFB2 but you won't find one for less than twice the price.

Now for some technical details i gathered from dismantling mine:

All axes except for the stick twist have digital optical sensors (slit counters, as in a mouse wheel or in ball mice), so there are no pots to break or A/D converters to be noisy. This is very good and a big advantage over pot-based sticks.

The downside is that the movement is not sensed directly at the stick but at the motor end of the gearing used by the force feedback motors. This means that you will have a little play from the gears which will increase as they wear out. In the worst case FFB vibration from the motors will directly affect the signal even when it is too small to traverse the gearing play. An interesting consequence of this is that the stick should theoretically be more precise when there is a slight FFB tension on the motors (to "close the play") than when there is only spring tension.

Finally, to the spring: the spring is of the flawed Saitek single spring design, which makes it unnecessarily difficult to hold one axis at a certain position while moving the other (making off-center horizontal and vertical lines on an X/Y readout), which is a rather typical task in flying. But this will be less of a problem than with an X52 because of the spring is only a weak auxilary centering in addition to the force motors.