PDA

View Full Version : How slow can you go under power?

M_Gunz
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I've been trying to find the back end of the back side of the level flight power curve in the P-40B.
I have found that with a bit less than 35% power I can fly straight and level with speedbar 140 kph.
Any less power and the plane drops at 140. Just run it at 35% till it gets down to 140 and then try
to fly it slower from there or see how low power to hold level, mine varied with patience.

The whole time at less than 150kph the plane wants to roll over. I've gone into fantastic slow motion
spins just by holding the stick back and not ruddering away from the drop. One turn, loosen the stick
and I get control back shortly, I don't see any stall or spin canned-code there. My elevator inputs
made a difference even though I had uncommanded movement.

The thing is that at over the minimum power I can hold the speedbar on 140 and climb but not go any
slower than 140kph and keep flying level.
At 40% power I am climbing well at 140-150kph (speedbar is by 10's) and 50% power about twice as much and
the more power I give it the easier it is to keep from rolling but I can't go any slower no matter the power.

Powered stall is slower than power-off stall. Lot of comments about the low speed modeling, too much climb
at low speeds, etc. So here's starting another look, how slow can you go and hold level flight?

M_Gunz
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I've been trying to find the back end of the back side of the level flight power curve in the P-40B.
I have found that with a bit less than 35% power I can fly straight and level with speedbar 140 kph.
Any less power and the plane drops at 140. Just run it at 35% till it gets down to 140 and then try
to fly it slower from there or see how low power to hold level, mine varied with patience.

The whole time at less than 150kph the plane wants to roll over. I've gone into fantastic slow motion
spins just by holding the stick back and not ruddering away from the drop. One turn, loosen the stick
and I get control back shortly, I don't see any stall or spin canned-code there. My elevator inputs
made a difference even though I had uncommanded movement.

The thing is that at over the minimum power I can hold the speedbar on 140 and climb but not go any
slower than 140kph and keep flying level.
At 40% power I am climbing well at 140-150kph (speedbar is by 10's) and 50% power about twice as much and
the more power I give it the easier it is to keep from rolling but I can't go any slower no matter the power.

Powered stall is slower than power-off stall. Lot of comments about the low speed modeling, too much climb
at low speeds, etc. So here's starting another look, how slow can you go and hold level flight?

JtD
05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I've done that with the P-38 to no end, it's great fun!

Romanator21
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I've gotten 60 kts in the Hurricane MkII, which is about 110 km/h if I'm not mistaken.

It is really fun to just spend some time in QMB with one plane just to figure out its limits. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Not to mention, it's a great way to hone our skills.

Mr_Zooly
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
try the Lerche I get to about -160kph http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

M_Gunz
05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Romanator21:
I've gotten 60 kts in the Hurricane MkII, which is about 110 km/h if I'm not mistaken.

It is really fun to just spend some time in QMB with one plane just to figure out its limits. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Not to mention, it's a great way to hone our skills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you gets knots from? Is that a speedbar option?

Mr_Zooly
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Toggle speedbar button shows MPH, KPH and Knots (not at the same time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ).

na85
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

At 40% power I am climbing well at 140-150kph (speedbar is by 10's) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you get the modded version of the game, speed bar increments in 5's.

Romanator21
05-03-2009, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you gets knots from? Is that a speedbar option? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi M_Gunz,

I got this directly from the instrument panel. I have a habit of turning off the speed-bar. It's very helpful, but I don't like the red thing in the corner. I guess I'm nit-picky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Edit: By the way, how was your loadout for your first set of figures? Were you also using any flaps? Just curious as to how the planes behave under different conditions, I got different values than you did in the P-40 B.

M_Gunz
05-04-2009, 04:25 AM
No flaps, I flew it clean and default full load. Thanks for the thought though, I could run dirty or lightened
and hadn't thought to try.

My memory tells me the Hurricanes gauged IAS in MPH, like the Spits.
Was there a Navy Hurricane? I never checked the Seafire gauge.

AFAIK, Knots didn't take hold as the standard until post-WWII. I would appreciate an update if there is one.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From the Wiki:
Prior to 1969, airworthiness standards for civil aircraft in the USA Federal Aviation Regulations specified that distances were to be in statute miles, and speeds in miles per hour. In 1969 these standards[9] were progressively amended to specify that distances were to be in nautical miles, and speeds in knots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To confuse things more, I have a friend who was a WWII Navy blimp commander and IIRC the Navy used knots in aircraft.

In IL2 there are a lot of planes using kilometers per hour as well. I've learned to relate to kph scale after a long time
using mph in sims. I have to think of knots as 15% more than mph and convert.

Romanator21
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No flaps, I flew it clean and default full load. Thanks for the thought though, I could run dirty or lightened
and hadn't thought to try.

My memory tells me the Hurricanes gauged IAS in MPH, like the Spits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, our values match up, which is good to know I suppose.

When I flew the Hurricane last I believe the airspeed indicator had knots printed on it. I was a little surprised as well. And I think that 60 would be too small a value for mph or kmph, although it would be nice! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif I will check again to see what the game has, and maybe what it should/did have.

crucislancer
05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
IIRC, both the Hurricane and Tempest (in game) have a speedometer in Knots rather then MPH.

M_Gunz
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
P-40 was a heavyweight compared to the Hurri and I figure 140 kph on speedbar is 87-93 mph.

Interesting Hurri is speed in knots. 60 knots is still what, 69mph? Wayyy slower!
What power at that speed to stay in level flight?